Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

'05 no start

Old 03-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 no start

Working on my daughters 05 Coupe - it's a no start similar to the SKREEM module issues in previous posts with the following differences. (1) The remote does lock and unlock the doors. (2) Engine cranks and seems to start briefly then dies - however, I get 3 shots a cranking the engine before I have to R&R the battery cable to get it to crank again. ANY IDEAS???

Old 03-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: 05 no start

If the engine does not start and stay running in 3 attempts, could be the SKREEM treats it as a theft attempt also.
Check the fuel pressure at the test port on the injector fuel rail, also try replacing the CPS sensor, or at least unplug and replug it.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe when mine needed to be replaced my door locks also worked. The Skreem module would be thought as well. A DRB III scan tool would confirm your diagnosis.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:40 PM

My daughter took the car to a local Chrysler dealer who said "in writing" we need to replace the starter motor then go from there. They wanted $1225 to replace the starter. I had it towed to my house to nose around it. It took longer to jack the car up than it did to determine there is nothing wrong with the starter.
My problem is I can not find anyone other than a dealer that has a DRB III scan tool. Any ideas ??

Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM

With few exceptions only Chrysler dealerships (and not all of them) have access to a DRB III and I suspect that there are many dealerships that no longer have a certified Crossfire tech. When I had the typical Skreem module symptoms of three attempts to start before having to unhook the battery and trying again. I was able to eliminate the other usual culprits and was certain that the issue was the Skreem module.
Search as many threads on this topic as you can and the you will in all likelihood then have to educated the tech who will perform the R&R.
I meet with the Service Supervisor and the XF tech prior to having my car taken to the dealership and explained the issue. They ordered the Skreem module (it's ordered according to the car's VIN#) i.e., VIN specific. When it arrived I had the car delivered to the dealership and meet again with the XF tech and waited until he hooked up the DRB III which indicated the Skreem module was not communicating. I don't recall the diagnostic code but only a DRB III can read this code.
I believe it was beneficial in my case to be as informed as possible (thanks to this forum) and as direct as possible when I meet with the supervisor and the tech.
It's a nice thing that you're willing to help out your daughter.
Keep us posted.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Corapeakian
My daughter took the car to a local Chrysler dealer who said "in writing" we need to replace the starter motor then go from there. They wanted $1225 to replace the starter. I had it towed to my house to nose around it. It took longer to jack the car up than it did to determine there is nothing wrong with the starter.
My problem is I can not find anyone other than a dealer that has a DRB III scan tool. Any ideas ??

Did they read the codes while it was there?

Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 PM

Working on my daughters 05 Coupe - it's a no start similar to the SKREEM module issues in previous posts with the following differences. (1) The remote does lock and unlock the doors. (2) Engine cranks and seems to start briefly then dies - however, I get 3 shots a cranking the engine before I have to R&R the battery cable to get it to crank again. ANY IDEAS???

You have the classic SKREEM module symptoms. Try the other key just to make sure both keys have the same start symptoms. Please ignore the lock/unlock function for now because it's not related to the no start.

Please show your dealer that the starter DOES work by removing the battery connection then rehook to show it cranks.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:42 PM

Read this thread, almost the same story...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...n-t-start.html

Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Hindin - I will look for some Chrysler dealer other than the first one and talk to them. Will let the forum know the outcome.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

How hard is it to get to the SKREEM module? As one person talked about unplugging it as if it was a simple thing. I read you have to remove the top of the dash to get to it.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:35 AM

The instrument cluster need to be removed to access the Skreem module.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:53 PM

The instrument cluster must be removed to get to the SKREEM module. Thanks to this forum, I had access to the complete Chrysler Shop Manual for the 05, which gave me all the info I needed to R&R the instruments.I unplugged the SKREEM and let it sit for 30 minutes, after reconnecting it still no start. Having that access and getting input from other members makes this one awesome Forum.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

The instrument cluster must be removed to get to the SKREEM module. Thanks to this forum, I had access to the complete Chrysler Shop Manual for the 05, which gave me all the info I needed to R&R the instruments.I unplugged the SKREEM and let it sit for 30 minutes, after reconnecting it still no start. Having that access and getting input from other members makes this one awesome Forum.
What someone said was that they disconnected both cables from the SKREEM, disconnected the battery and left it for some time. Reconnected it all up and the car started no problem.
That's what they said.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 PM

It may have worked for someone else - did not work for me. I am certain it is the SKREEM has failed. If it has, replacement, and unfortunately reprogramming (only can be done at a specialty shop or Chrysler dealer) is the only option.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It may have worked for someone else - did not work for me. I am certain it is the SKREEM has failed. If it has, replacement, and unfortunately reprogramming (only can be done at a specialty shop or Chrysler dealer) is the only option.
These folks say they can do it, might check them out :
S.O.S. Diagnostics

Phone: (503)266-5442

They are in Canby, Oregon