Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Chipped but see no difference

Old 03-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Chipped but feel no difference

I chipped my car yesterday with speed tunning, I do not feel any difference, any sugestion from the people who chipped their car appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by dariushashrafi; 03-27-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Default Re: Chipped but see no difference

I had mine done with speed tuning and did notice a diff.

You could do this, go to a dealer and test drive a stock xfire then immediately take yours out, pay close attention to Third gear and fourth gear, i especially noticed a huge change in third gear pull. My most favorite gear!

Old 03-28-2005, 02:33 AM

You should ALWAYS dyno before and after to make sure the changes you're doing are actually DOING something (hopefully, gaining power, but not always). But dynos are notoriously unreliable and can't show you incremental changes.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:33 PM

Most of the claims are overblown, you should notice a difference in third of fourth as stated above, but 10HP in 215HP car is hard to "FEEL". The best reason to chip one is to expand the RPM range 0-6500 instead of 0-6200 and to take the speed limiter off the top end. If we can ever get a set of headers or a turbo or supercharger the chip will help those as well.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Default Re: Power Chipped but feel no difference

Originally Posted by dariushashrafi
I chipped my car yesterday with speed tunning, I do not feel any difference, any sugestion from the people who chipped their car appreciated. Thanks
I used Upsolute...major diff above 2800 rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th

Old 04-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Rick do you have any data or are going by feel, Supposedly the chips from upsolute and speedtuning have the same spec's. I haven't done mine yet, but there is a large price difference. I have a G-tech, I just haven't done the baseline's yet, (but soon).

Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbymanbill
Rick do you have any data or are going by feel, Supposedly the chips from upsolute and speedtuning have the same spec's. I haven't done mine yet, but there is a large price difference. I have a G-tech, I just haven't done the baseline's yet, (but soon).
By feel alone...that and the mechanic that rechipped is a friggin' genius with the technical end of autos. He recommended the Upsolute over everything else...his specs (tests he has actually done) show a 15-18hp gain in our cars

Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 PM

I have to step in here for just a minute. I have been making performance chips and flashing CPU's for over 6 years now. I use a Dynojet Dyno to do custom tunes. I tune only for GM cars 1985 to 1995. It is easy to buy a "one size fits all chip" and stick it in your car. With these chips the manufacture will not take any chances with volume metric efficiency, power enrichment or timing because of the liability for doing damage to the car. About all you ever get are lower fan settings, a higher redline and maybe a firmer shift with an automatic transmission. There usually isn't very much HP to squeeze out of a car by just changing the chip. If a free flow exhaust and a K&N air filter are added you can tune for a bit more. Just don't expect magic here.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the answer Rick, just for grins, how much RPM do you see now. My understanding with the speedtuning is 6500 approx instead of the 6200 we see now. Just curious if you know. Wayne I agree with you, 10Hp is about what I expect, the guy at speedtuning wants me to put K&N's in at the same time. I don't really want them, as I don't like oil filters. I think he feels that together it will be more noticable. As I said above, I really would like a set of tuned headers and a true dual exhaust. A turbo or supercharger would be even better, but we'll see.

Last edited by Hobbymanbill; 04-01-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:46 PM

It is easier to cause a reduction in HP through air intake restrictions than restrictions in exhaust. However, some exhaust systems can be very restrictive and lack an ability to scavenge. I really don't know where the XF falls here. I would be courious to know just how much HP could be obtained with just a free flowing intake, exhaust and carefully tuned engine management system.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Does anyone know of a source for a chip upgrade in MI, and has anyone with a leased car added a chip to their Crossfire? How much does adding a chip cost? Finally, can you tell any difference with the K&N filters? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the combo I want to see. Ok Of Course my intakes...,I'm just messing around, but seriously. An Intake, a set of headers w/ a heat shield, or deflector, and a catback system that is a true dual exhaust with 2 3/4 -3.0" OD. And Have it chipped, or modulated to were I can control The air to fuel Ratios as I please Via Laptop, or What would be cool, maybe a PDA. I'm not always going to want that high performance ratio, maybe in my more youthful days I would say I want 8 MPG and love every second of it. Now Not so much, you know with the Wife and the Kid, it just doesn't seem SO important. Yeah right...... are you kidding me, I love building new cars, especially ours. What ever bolt on parts you can put together for your ride, make yours an unique. If I wanted cookie cutter I would have gone with the Mustang GT.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a difference with K&Ns and big Difference when i chipped mine, at min 20 hp. total.