Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Need help opening hood - spring mechanis, lodged between hood and grill

Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Need help opening hood - spring mechanis, lodged between hood and grill

Hi folks!

Something crazy just happened to me. I took out my batteries, went to close the hood and the hood ca,e crashing down. The spring lodged itself between the hood and the grill (see picture) and I cannot open the hood anymore. The little latch that opens the hood moves, but it seems to not do anything.
It seems like the car thinks the hood is shut, but the latch thinks it isn't.
Any help would be highly appreciated. How do I get the hood to go up?

Thanks for any help!!

Nick

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170806_142238 (1).jpg (3.29 MB, 26 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Need help opening hood - spring mechanis, lodged between hood and grill

The little safety catch is probably under tension, you will have to press down real hard on the hood in the center while squeezing the catch. A little hood warping going on, but unavoidable and shouldn't hurt anything permanently.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Default Re: Need help opening hood - spring mechanis, lodged between hood and grill

Since the spring is sticking out on the right hand side I am kind of afraid to press down. The hood isn't warped it's just that the piece is holding it up on the right side (see picture).

Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Phew! I got it to open again. What happened is that the spring that holds the hood up apparently came lose and the thing just snapped off.

Now here is my question...the spring attaches over a latch on the hood. What goes on the other side to hold it in place? That piece I must have lost and therefore the end (see pictjre) is not secure!
Any ideas on what to put on that end so it stays in place?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170806_153831.jpg (3.84 MB, 25 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM

It's a little 'C' clip with a springy catch.
You can just find a circlip that will fit and that will do.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 PM

It must have definitely got lost. What is a circling and do you clamp it on with pliers or does it just snapped in place? I guess I'll go to the hardware store and look for one of those things Haven't opened the hood ever since lol but its time to reinstall the hood strut!

Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Not circling but CIRCLIP, here's some pictures :

https://www.ebay.com/i/192119502096?chn=ps&dispItem=1

( did you drop the plastic pan under the engine and look there ? )

Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 PM

Damn auto correct...

I loo,Ed there and nothing...might give these clips a change. I assume they just "clamp" on there?

Old 08-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Yes, or you could use the proper size snap ring.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Where would I go about ordering that snap ring?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

For a cheap and nasty fix you could use some .03 or so diameter soft iron wire wind it in the groove and around again and twist it lock it in place. Cheap and nasty but it works.
Home Depot sells these 'C' clips in those triangular rotating bins they have in the fastener section.
For real economy you should get the set in ala_xfires post, that can't be beat for value.
It's such a bargain I might buy them even though I do not need them.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-13-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:18 PM

At least with those 5000 different sizes in ala's post it won't be hard to find the right one that fits perfectly
Either way, I can't wait till my hood opens normally again without me prying it open with a 2 by 4! LOL thanks for all the quality advise! I remember why I love the forum so much

Old 08-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Where would I go about ordering that snap ring?
Here :
300 Pieces External Snap Ring Assortment Kit Set Circlip 18 Sizes Retaining Ring | eBay

( you will need some snap ring pliers to use them )

Old 04-08-2018, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Here :
300 Pieces External Snap Ring Assortment Kit Set Circlip 18 Sizes Retaining Ring eBay

( you will need some snap ring pliers to use them )
Hi,

I finally got myself a set of the 300 circlips. I don't have the pliers yet, but I fail to see how I would use those clips to attach the hood strut. How do I "fasten" those clips? Would the pliers go through the two tI you holes of the clips and squeeze them together? Thanks for letting me know what to do! What size am I supposed to use?
thanks for letting me know!

Happy Sunday,

Nick

Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hi,

I finally got myself a set of the 300 circlips. I don't have the pliers yet, but I fail to see how I would use those clips to attach the hood strut. How do I "fasten" those clips? Would the pliers go through the two tI you holes of the clips and squeeze them together? Thanks for letting me know what to do! What size am I supposed to use?
thanks for letting me know!

Happy Sunday,

Nick
Circlip pliers are of two types one type opens the circlip so that it expands to fit on a shaft and the other type closes the circlip so it can enter a hole.
The inside diameter of the clip you need is the bottom diameter of the groove in the pin. The thickness of the circlip is a few thou less than the width of the groove.
I should add that there are two variations of circlip one is external and one for internal.
My car does not use a circlip it uses a sheet metal clip, they slide on and snap into position. I suspect that most if not all use this type of clip.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-09-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Circlip pliers are of two types one type opens the circlip so that it expands to fit on a shaft and the other type closes the circlip so it can enter a hole.
The inside diameter of the clip you need is the bottom diameter of the groove in the pin. The thickness of the circlip is a few thou less than the width of the groove.
My car does not use a circlip it uses a sheet metal clip, they slide on and snap into position. I suspect that most if not all use this type of clip.
Yes, mine has the 'latching' sheet metal clip.
I have always used a flat screwdriver to remove circlips, then needle nose pliers to get them started back on after which I just give 'em a bang.
That's the difference between you ( engineering background ) and me ( shade tree background )
( I did work for NCR ( National Cash Register ) for 40 years, so I am no stranger to circlips )