Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

White smoke when car started

Old 04-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke when car started

Wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has an opinion. This has happened twice under the same circumstances. In the morning I start the car and run it long enough to move it from the driveway to the street, so my roomate can get out. A little while later I go to leave myself and when I start the car a good amount of white smoke comes from the exhaust. It doesn't continually smoke, just one cloud of it when the car is started the second time and I don't observe anything out of the normal in the running of the engine. Again, I've only noticed this on those occasions of starting it briefly to move it and then again a little later to be on my way. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Default Re: White smoke when car started

I'm certainly no expert, but is it possible it was just steam? When a car "smokes" it's usually black, or bluish-grey. Maybe the water vapor from the exhaust is condensing, and doesn't have enough time to evaporate before you start the car again? Then it gets heated to steam by the new exhaust and expelled?

Old 04-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe whitish smoke is caused by engine coolant. You might have a blown head gasket and coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and combusting, causing the white smoke.. I had similar problem in my old car. It didn't do it all the time either.

Anyway, since it's not supposed to ever shoot out white smoke, I'd bring it into the dealer.

Also, keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Here's the list of exhaust smoke colors:
Color - Posible Cause
White(1) - Transmission
Blue - Oil
Black - Fuel
Gray - Fuel

Click here
1 - heavy thick white smoke

I've seen whiteish smoke caused by coolant too.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
I believe whitish smoke is caused by engine coolant. You might have a blown head gasket and coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and combusting, causing the white smoke.. I had similar problem in my old car. It didn't do it all the time either.

Anyway, since it's not supposed to ever shoot out white smoke, I'd bring it into the dealer.

Also, keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
I believe your right. At least from my knowledge of cars that would be the symptom.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular

i have a SRT-6 18.000 miles i have let the car set for 1 week, i noticed when i started the car a puff of white / grayish smoke came out....

i then proceeded to to the rear TO sniff it, raw fuel is what i smelled,
not oil..not anti freeze... just fuel.... i know the gas we use these days is soso
i use 93.... temp was in the 90's... this seems to be a common element with these car's

huudoo just reporting from tennessee..

where the hell is Bill AKA Silver Fox ?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by darice57
Wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has an opinion. This has happened twice under the same circumstances. In the morning I start the car and run it long enough to move it from the driveway to the street, so my roomate can get out. A little while later I go to leave myself and when I start the car a good amount of white smoke comes from the exhaust. It doesn't continually smoke, just one cloud of it when the car is started the second time and I don't observe anything out of the normal in the running of the engine. Again, I've only noticed this on those occasions of starting it briefly to move it and then again a little later to be on my way. Any thoughts are appreciated.
It's condensation.
Much more noticable when its humid or when it's cold. Winter is a great time to see just what's blowing out your pipes .
Since this only happens in the morning AND it isn't noticeable after that all you're doing is burning off the moisture that's collected during the evening; like dew on the grass in the morning. The same thing happens to cool metals at night. Makes sense too that it seems worse after the initial start, you haven't heated the pipes enough to burn everything off at first but you have got them warm enough to pull additional moisture out of the air. Then you start it again & all the original what's-left-over moisture plus all the new stuff you've collected burns off in one big poof!
BUT, if you notice white smoke while driving or after its warmed up then I'd be concerned & start to think about valve gaskets or cracked heads, etc.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the exhaust pipe like?

put your finger in and see if u smell gas or coolant, or is it kinda thick and feel a lil oily?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Forum Regular

As others have replied white smoke is usually coolant getting into the cylinders. My Outlook did this once, but never again so far. If it did it again, and repeatedly, I'd worry about it. It's probably just a one time occurrence, keep an eye on it and monitor your coolant level, it would go down if you had a blown head gasket. Good Luck

Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by Kurts
It's condensation.
Much more noticable when its humid or when it's cold. Winter is a great time to see just what's blowing out your pipes .
Since this only happens in the morning AND it isn't noticeable after that all you're doing is burning off the moisture that's collected during the evening; like dew on the grass in the morning. The same thing happens to cool metals at night. Makes sense too that it seems worse after the initial start, you haven't heated the pipes enough to burn everything off at first but you have got them warm enough to pull additional moisture out of the air. Then you start it again & all the original what's-left-over moisture plus all the new stuff you've collected burns off in one big poof!
BUT, if you notice white smoke while driving or after its warmed up then I'd be concerned & start to think about valve gaskets or cracked heads, etc.

Kurts is correct.

Just FYI :

Black smoke = fuel...running rich
bluish gray smoke on deceleration = oil...usually bad valve stem seals
bluish gray smoke on acceleration or idle = oil...many causes...worn rings / cylinders, cracked heads / block are the most prevalent.
pure white smoke = coolant...usually a cracked head, block, or intake manifold on some cars.

Back in my auto mechanic days one of the big pranks was to put a cup of coolant down the tailpipe of a car someone just spent a lot of time working on. (this works even better if someone just rebuilt an engine and you can pour the coolant right down the exhaust manifold) Once they start it up the thick white cloud starts rolling out. You'd be amazed at how much smoke a cup of coolant will make!

As for your problem Darice57, my bet would be on condensation.

Last edited by apkano; 08-22-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either coolant or condensation ! More than likely condensation ! Check your coolant level when the engine is cold.

Just my Dos Centavos

Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Talking Re: White smoke when car started

Yes my Xfire does the same thing on occassion..... I don't worry about it though as long as its not constant....

Old 09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has done it a few times as well, and only under the exact circumstances described by darice57: start the car and move it a very short distance so it only runs for a minute or less, shut off, start again maybe 30 minutes later - a small puff of smoke. That is the ONLY time it has ever happened; never on initial startup, never after the engine has fully warmed up and then is restarted, etc. Temp has never been an issue, coolant level is fine, oil looks perfectly normal.