Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Flat tire?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire?

Anyone have one, and if so how did you deal with it? Looking at a 3000 mile trip next month and don't know if I should take the Crossfire or the Honda CR-V...

Old 05-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Flat tire?

Originally Posted by CCrossfire
Anyone have one, and if so how did you deal with it? Looking at a 3000 mile trip next month and don't know if I should take the Crossfire or the Honda CR-V...
i always carry at tire repair "plug kit"...cost around $5. and you have an air compressor on board. cheap insurance.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Andrew is right on this. But if you cut the sidewall or get a nail there you're out of luck as it can't be repaired.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry a 3k trip. my choice...rent a car.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:59 PM

The Crossfire is not the only car that does not have a spare. I just read somewhere (can't remember the source though, sorry) that mentioned the average person has a flat or tire puncture only once every five years or so on average. In my opinion, you bought a Crossfire... drive it and have fun with it.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Smile Re: Flat tire?

I am about to take a 2 week trip from Texas to Colorado and then on to South Dakota and back to Texas....my choice, our Jeep Liberty Limited. The Crossfire is a nice a daily driver and weekend fun car, but for a long trip on questionable roads, take something else. I thought of replacing the wheels and tires with 4 18's in a popular size for the trip, but decided the Jeep would be better for touring, especially in the national parks, and if we encounter the infamous "chip repair" on secondary roads in Wyoming and South Dakota - they lay a coating of oil on the road and cover it with large gravel, which the passing cars crush and press into the oil, as well as toss into the air and onto the cars following. Passing an 18 wheeler in either direction is instant paint stripping and cracked windshields. I was in a government Ford Explorer, in North Dakota on a stretch of road just covered with gravel when an 18 wheel dump truck tossed a piece right through the windshield about 2 " above the dash. Glass everywhere. The Crossfire stays home, dry and safe in the garage.
John

Old 05-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Monday I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina and hit a large pothole at speed, the front passenger tire sidewall blew out in three spots and the rear passenger side tire had a huge bubble in the sidewall. I made a call to AAA and they picked my car up in about an hour. Towed it to Skyland Chrysler in Asheville. They got tires installed and did an alignment and replaced one wheel sensor in about a day. Even though it cost me to replace two tires the reason I drove my Crossfire to the mountains was to enjoy driving a great handling car on twisty roads. I live in Florida and the only curves are on ramps.