Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Ripped off by member!!SASKINS

Old 10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripped off by member!!SASKINS

well i really did not want to have to post this but i am given no choice. i bought an intake from sean askins, ASKracing, in mid june when they were first introduced. when i purchased the system he told me that it would take 2-3 weeks to have the system produced, which i understood since it is custom made. well it took about 5 weeks for me to receive the intake and when i got it the paint on it was nicked up and clamps appeared used. told sean my issues and he thought that i was just nitpicking since it arrived late, and he explained that some issues where out of his control. then i went to install the system and the y-pipe that attaches to the intake throttle body was the wrong diameter and would not fit. when this was told to sean he said there were variances in all of the y-pipes. so i then sean said he would located a silicone coupler and send it to me along with new clamps. well after another couple of weeks i just got a silicone coupler on my own to try and install this system, well that did not work and kept popping off, and when trying to install the MAF sensor in the y-pipe, the piping cracked and would not stay in properly. so i again contacted sean about this issue and he again said he would sent out a new y-pipe and the clamps and brackets. this was early in september. then again after waiting 2 weeks i decided to simply end my headaches and return the intake to sean, he said that would be fine and was sorry that it did not work out for me, and he would give me a refund. then the next email i get from sean he accuses me of buying his intake to steal his idea and of ripping him off and that i am some how affiliated with chrysler/mercedes some how. so any way the intake system was return delivered to him on 9/26/2005 (which happens to be his last day active on the forum) and i have not heard from him since.

so i was trying to clear this thing up with him directly before posting here as a last resort. i have contacted paypal.com but since i paid over 45 days ago the buyer protection does not apply, and my credit card company has a 90 policy in filing disputes. now i am wondering if there is anything anyone here can suggest to help me try and recover some of my money.

thanks and sorry for the long post. scott

Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Ripped off by member!!SASKINS

that sux... i hate hearing things like this. i hope things get sorted and there is some type of resolution.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 PM
GP2

You could file a complaint with the Attorney General of your State. You have to have receipts and his address etc. but it won't cost you anything to try.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I have not seen any firm numbers on the intake anyhow. I don't think anyone has ever justified any performance claims with third party dyno data. I would recommend not buying any type of performance part, unless there is at least some evidence that it works well and delivers on its promises.

When I was into Mazda's, I put a lot of performance parts on to my car. Fortunately for me, I belonged to an excellent forum where people were able to back up claims with actual data, and lots of positive experiences versus one product or another could be shared. Thus, one guy would buy a header fabricated in a small shop, and performance improvements would show on several members' time slips after a weekend at the drag strip. Seeing the data, I could justify that it was a good bet, and would order up my own header (or intake, or pulley kit, etc) and try it out. Customer service experiences (such as lack of support or excellent follow-up) were also detailed.

I have seen this ASK intake on several threads, but it always seems that somebody is trying to locate the guy, etc. And, there is no company standing behind it. It would sure be nice if AEM, Injection, K&N, or any number of other intake makers took an interest in our cars. In fact, it would be nice if a lot of aftermarket performance companies took an interest in our cars. As it stands, we have a couple of aftermarket exhaust companies, REALLY expensive Euro tuner companies that will sell you an ECU for a grand, and shady small time sellers like ASK. Part of the beauty in belonging to a forum is our collective clout. Why not start a GI thread about some of the items we really want to see, such as intakes, and shopping it around to various companies?

Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: Ripped off by member!!SASKINS

Isn't there any "left coasters" on this forum who know Sean Saskins personally? If there is, then you may want to give him a "telephone" call, and let him know his credibility is getting "sucked" away faster than air thru his intake. He may just want to check in and post his side of the story.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Isn't there any "left coasters" on this forum who know Sean Saskins personally? If there is, then you may want to give him a "telephone" call, and let him know his credibility is getting "sucked" away faster than air thru his intake. He may just want to check in and post his side of the story.
Or, you could just send him a PM (if you are concerned that he has not had a chance to respond).

Old 10-19-2005, 02:38 PM

well i have a phone number he provided me somewhere and i have called repeatedly with no answer, have sent numerous emails to both of his email addresses since the package arrived to him over 3 weeks, and several pm's as well, all have gone with out a response thus far. also in another post andrew mention that his last log on to the site was 9/26 which is also the day that the intake was returned to him.

as far as filing a claim with the attorney general, what would work as a receipt? credit card statement ot something from paypal? as i did not receive a receipt directly for the intake.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular

if you paid paypal, and have a receipt from the post office or some sort of record showing a package from him along with all your emails that should provide a good amount of evidence. what about small claims courts.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:45 PM

that guy was shady from day one. not surprised at all. he showed us a fake dyno, challenged people to races then backed out, wouldn't test it at the strip etc. etc. i know HDDP knew the guy and bought the system, he seems like a stand up guy, pm him and ask him.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

...and, around $300 is ridiculous for an intake. For any given "tuner" import, the name brands are less than $200. Generics of the more popular ones can be had on e-Bay for around $50 in a lot of cases, and they are just as good. Yet, no one makes anything for the Crossfire. In truth, an intake is an easy thing to make. You can get all of the piping you'll need at Home Depot. Hose clamps, a conical filter, and various silicone couplers can be purchased at Pep Boys. Keep the diameter no less than the throttle body, make sure curved sections are gentle, and make sure the inside is smooth from one end to the other. Route it down low, in front of the front wheel house to draw in cold air. And, make sure the thing is firmly yet flexibly mounted, not in contact with anything. Holes need to be drilled for the IAT, etc. But this is not rocket science. In fact, I see no reason to do a dual intake setup. A single one ought to work just as well (since it is impossible to improve flow beyond the most constrictive element in the system, in this case the TB and intake manifold). I say, spend $50 on the supplies, waste a sunny Saturday building a single CAI, and tell us all how it went.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I believe HDDP knows him and also has the intake system in his car.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I made my own intake, when i talked about it on the forum here saskins started in with he has a paten and i should not steal his design or he would have to take legal action. I asked him how do you paten a pipe with a filter someone else makes on the end. He supplied no paten numbers.

Anything custom is going to cost more than a mass produced product due to time involved.
However you should get what you paid for as advertised.
Hope you get your money back as you obviously feel you didn't get what you were SOLD.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Banned

I put a V8 Mercedes Benz air box on my Crossfire it fits perfect and has larger filters and air chambers and I could notice the difference, no dyno just feel! I have 29k miles on my car and I put it on with around 27k. So I can tell a difference in seat of your pants pull. I’m going to look into a mold from it! Or you can just order from Benz or look for a used one! I paid $150 including the K&N’s for it.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:32 AM

How about some pics and info Dan?

Old 10-20-2005, 03:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by x'ed
that guy was shady from day one. not surprised at all. he showed us a fake dyno, challenged people to races then backed out, wouldn't test it at the strip etc. etc. i know HDDP knew the guy and bought the system, he seems like a stand up guy, pm him and ask him.
I have his prototype intake on my car... Works fine... I had to do some additional mods to secure it properly, but aside from that... I'm a happy camper... I haven't seen, or heard from SASKINS in months... And noticed he's not posting here anymore... Don't attach my name to that...

But if you want "BORDERLINE" shady... Geeze, when I went to the guys who rep POWERCHIP in LA a few months ago... I was freaked... I don't want to blast anyone, but this was a shady operation... I even had to help the tech get the ECU out and re-plug the wire harness'... And then, when they flashed the chip, and reinstalled it, it went hay-wire for a few minutes until they did a "check engine light" software hack that the "Aussy" "Owner" of the company had to explain to the "Dutch" tech how to download and install...

They work out of some wacky office that looks like it is a furniture warehouse, not an automotive company... And, they couldn't even provide me with a receipt for the $640... I insisted that they hand write one on a piece of paper... I did get a printed receipt in the mail about two weeks later...

My guess is that the programs were ripped by someone and these guys just think they know what they're doing... But, it seems to work fine and the car has more pep... Or, maybe it's the Klotz...

Last edited by HDDP; 10-20-2005 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:23 AM

at least you didn’t get robbed though.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by x'ed
at least you didn’t get robbed though.
Hey wait, my ex-wife robbed me about 10 years ago and the IRS robs me every week...

Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

I warned all about Powerchip in LA over a year ago!!! dah.

AS for pics on the M-BENZ air box I will do later today. I’ll also try to pinpoint the exact year box it is!

Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 AM

I told everyone here that would listen that this guy was a habitual liar and a fraud. If you didn't read his posts or were foolish enough to believe him, YOU GOT JUST WHAT YOU DESERVE. The old adage goes fools and their money are soon parted. Next time check out claims BEFORE you send money.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:44 AM

hobbybillman, at the time this all happened no one mentioned that the mercedes air box would fit, and there were no other options as to an intake system. i was also traveling often and working nearly 80 hrs a week and did not have time to try and make my own system. so if you fell i and any others may have had it coming that’s fine, your are an expert it seems which is great for you.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by member!!SASKINS