Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfires on Overstock.Com!!

Old 11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossfires on Overstock.Com!!

Originally Posted by Rabidraider
Any financial person will tell you a lease is a bad move unless you have it as a business write off...
You couldn't be more wrong , any financial person worth their salt should tell you each persons case differs.

And before you say it, people who drive more than average miles are better off leasing.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bizzelz
39 mo. lease 39k miles
This of course is a special case, I don't think anyone got this kind of deal. It is surely not the norm. I'm not gloating, I work for DC, I exploit all of the incentives.
But now you all can see why I lease this car.
So you can only drive your Crossfire 13,000 miles a year without paying for each mile there after... mmm let me see - 1083 miles per month - 250 miles per week - 35.6 miles per day - that would be only one way to work each day for me, or one way back home after work each day, if I worked 7 days a week. Also hope your never involved in collisions, you get killed on diminished value at the end of the lease. Where is that deal?

hooah

Old 11-28-2005, 05:00 PM

Any financial person will tell you a lease is a bad move unless you have it as a business write off...
A lot has changed in the last 30 years as far as leasing. Consumer protection laws and commonality of it has made is more friendly.
Think back when the last time you got quoted some leasing payments, how long ago was that?
And by looking at your age, you are probably comfortable with where you are in your life.
You probably say you don't need a new car every few years and thats fine, but not everyone is in the same situation.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:18 PM

bizzelz...You are correct when you say everybody's case is different. But unless "everybody" works for Chrysler, and gets a sweet lease deal like you did, most lease deals work out better for the Dealer every time. If not, then how can every dealer afford to simply "dump" all their incoming lease vehicles at dealer auctions for sometimes way below wholesale prices? I'll tell you why, because they made their profits up front. And the profits are big, or why else would they "push" leasing so much.
Rabidraider was "dead on the money" when he said the only real benefit to leasing a car is when you can write it off.
Not everybody trades cars every 3 years, some people (as shocking as this may sound to you) actually keep their car long after they are paid off. Those years of driving for free essentially, add up, to enable them some time to actually save up enough to buy another "new" car some day down the road.
You are really starting to sound like a "new car" salesman, but then again, that is what you are. So you are just doing your job.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
So you can only drive your Crossfire 13,000 miles a year without paying for each mile there after... mmm let me see - 1,083 miles per month - 250 miles per week - 35.6 miles per day - that would be only one way to work each day for me, or one way back home after work each day, if I worked 7 days a week. Also hope your never involved in collisions, you get killed on diminished value at the end of the lease. Where is that deal?

hooah
LOL, this is why people think leasing is bad. They just don't understand how they work and thats OK, not everyone does. FirebaseD, those are some of the same misconceptions of the everyday consumer.

First off, it doesn't matter if you are leasing or buying your car, when you are driving it X amount of miles per year it is depreciating just the same. Those were miles you had to pay for in the end anyway, come trade in time or lease return time. The thing is people buy cars on a 5 year loan put on 20-25k miles per year and expect to trade up every 3 years and its NOT going to happen because they will be upside down "negative equity" because they are depreciating it faster than they are paying it off. Unless they put thousands down on it or go shorter term loan, THAT is the worst investment ever.

Secondly, because all leasing companies require full coverage insurance on the car you lease, you are never held accountable for damages beyond your deductible <different issue.
When you lease a car, at the end of your lease contract there is a line that says BUYOUT.
That is the number that the leasing company GUARANTEES your car to be worth with X amount of miles in X amount of months EVEN IF YOU WRECK YOUR CAR, it doesn't matter if it is now worth less than that number THAT IS PART OF THE LEASING COMPANIES GAMBLE, they have insured themselves for this type of incident.

You come out squeaky clean.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=9128

...just a little poll to gauge if you think the Crossfire was a "Misfire" in the market, as a $8,000+ discount would suggest. Of course, I am preaching to the choir when I say that the car is worth a look when considering a premium two seater.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ashonfire
bizzelz...You are correct when you say everybody's case is different. But unless "everybody" works for Chrysler, and gets a sweet lease deal like you did, most lease deals work out better for the Dealer every time. If not, then how can every dealer afford to simply "dump" all their incoming lease vehicles at dealer auctions for sometimes way below wholesale prices? I'll tell you why, because they made their profits up front. And the profits are big, or why else would they "push" leasing so much.
Rabidraider was "dead on the money" when he said the only real benefit to leasing a car is when you can write it off.
Not everybody trades cars every 3 years, some people (as shocking as this may sound to you) actually keep their car long after they are paid off. Those years of driving for free essentially, add up, to enable them some time to actually save up enough to buy another "new" car some day down the road.
You are really starting to sound like a "new car" salesman, but then again, that is what you are. So you are just doing your job.
Dealers have nothing to do with the car after its returned its the lease companies car, unless they lease company want the dealer to buy it from them to avoid the hassle of picking it up cleaning it and taking it to auction themselves. The leasing companies want to negotiate with the dealer to buy it just to save some money because the car aint worth crap compared to what the bean counters said it would be. This happens more often than not, I'd say 8 out of 10 times the bank or lease institution got the shaft, and the customer was lucky to be able to walk away and turn it back in. Think modern day pinto's, Think Employee pricing, Think of all the new technology coming out making 3 year old cars worth bupkiss. Cars nowadays depreciate faster than ever.
Call me a Car Salesmen all day long if it makes you feel better. I'm just trying to make a difference in the way people see leasing. Why? you ask,, not for my personal gain but for the 9 out of 10 customers I talk to these days are thousands upside down in their current car and they want to buy another with NO money down and on a 6 or 7 year loan and its a constant downward spiral till they will never get out from under their car...
only if they were educated in leasing before they had their DAD scream at them before they go to the dealership *DON'T YOU GO LISTENING TO THAT LEASING CRAP< ITS A RIP-OFF* cus he doesn't know eighter, things have changed from 30 years ago where people get the bad memories and back then it was a rip-off
IGNORANCE OF THE FACTS is the real killer here.
<just trying to help.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:02 PM

A lot has changed in the last 30 years as far as leasing. Consumer protection laws and commonality of it has made is more friendly.
Think back when the last time you got quoted some leasing payments, how long ago was that?
And by looking at your age, you are probably comfortable with where you are in your life.
You probably say you don't need a new car every few years and thats fine, but not everyone is in the same situation.
Regardless of age, buying is a better move financially over leasing unless you can "write" it off for business. Any financial adviser will tell you the same. For convenience you are correct. Money wise buying is better...

Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Regardless of age, buying is a better move financially over leasing unless you can "write" it off for business. Any financial adviser will tell you the same. For convenience you are correct. Money wise buying is better...
Obviously you can't make any educated decisions by yourself without your financial advisor so all I can do is to ask you to look up this book " The Buzz on Leasing"

After you read it or review it fire this thread up again and we'll talk.

Buying any car is not better than leasing *except extreme situations*.
Unless you are buying something that Appreciates like a 25 to 50 year old antique with some modern appeal.

BUY HOUSES "or LAND, something they don't make anymore" Lease Cars.
just be educated about it, know your needs.

PS. you can write off miles on a buy too.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:34 PM

bizzelz...calling you a new car salesman wasn't meant to be anything derogatory, it is simply the way you sounded as you were pushing a lease over a buy, that's all. Sounds as though you may have some issues you may want to deal with.
As for the dealers having nothing to do with the cars after they are turned back in, well that's a bunch of crap. The dealer I worked for was called Walin Motors, (not there real name) the lease car company was called Hafflin Leasing (again not there real name) both companies were one in the same. To distinctly different corporations, but owned by the same people.
The dealers simply likes to insulate themselves for all different kinds of reasons, but the end result is still the same. Leasing pays the Dealer/rental agency a premium over what they usually make on a straight new car sale. That's why they promote it. That's why they taught you how to sell it. It's in there best interest, not the customer.
It isn't some sort of conspiracy, it's just what the dealers do to make money.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Obviously you can't make any educated decisions by yourself without your financial advisor so all I can do is to ask you to look up this book "The Buzz on Leasing".

So when you have a disagreement with someone you go to insults...nice.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ashonfire
bizzelz...calling you a new car salesman wasn't meant to be anything derogatory, it is simply the way you sounded as you were pushing a lease over a buy, that's all. Sounds as though you may have some issues you may want to deal with.
As for the dealers having nothing to do with the cars after they are turned back in, well that's a bunch of crap. The dealer I worked for was called Walin Motors, (not there real name) the lease car company was called Hafflin Leasing (again not there real name) both companies were one in the same. To distinctly different corporations, but owned by the same people.
The dealers simply likes to insulate themselves for all different kinds of reasons, but the end result is still the same. Leasing pays the Dealer/rental agency a premium over what they usually make on a straight new car sale. That's why they promote it. That's why they taught you how to sell it. It's in there best interest, not the customer.
It isn't some sort of conspiracy, it's just what the dealers do to make money.
Notice the recent increase to 39 months on many leases? They just want to squeeze a few more dollars out of the consumer...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leasing is good if you keep your car for a short term like 2 years or less. Longer than that is a disadvantage because you'll be paying leases all the time compared with someone not paying anything in the next 2 years or more after payoff. That's why it is also best if you can write it off because who wants to be paying leases every month for something that is a liability?

Old 11-28-2005, 07:35 PM

Notice the recent increase to 39 months on many leases? They just want to squeeze a few more dollars out of the consumer...
Actually, if the lease was at the same terms as the shorter/longer ones, that might be the case. However, the "39 month" thing was an incentive because the change in residual from 36 to 39 was negligible, the change from 39 to something higher was not negligible, and the finance rate for 39 months was much lower than the others. In other words, it was more a month for less time and more a month for more time.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Obviously you can't make any educated decisions by yourself without your financial advisor so all I can do is to ask you to look up this book " The Buzz on Leasing"

So when you have a disagreement with someone you go to insults...nice.
Did I miss something? I saw no insults. The statement is straight and to the point. That's the problem with today's culture, unless you're PC and go out of your way not to offend, a lot of people don't know how to handle things in the real world.

Last edited by ben47; 11-28-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
Did I miss something? I saw no insults. The statement is straight and to the point. That's the problem with today's culture, unless you're PC and don't offendm a lot of people take offense.
Yes, you missed something...it wasn't directed at you. I felt insulted and thats how I took it. Kind of like eye of the beholder...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, you missed something...it wasn't directed at you. I felt insulted and thats how I took it. Kind of like eye of the beholder...
Well partner, I hate to be the one that upsets you... whenever you post on a public forum it is directed at anyone who reads it and I am as free as you are to post my comments whether you felt insulted or not.

(Oh, I was editing my post while you replied to the one above so that's the reason your quote of my post is a little different).

Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

Well partner, I hate to be the one that upsets you... whenever you post on a public forum it is directed at anyone who reads it and I am as free as you are to post my comments whether you felt insulted or not.

(Oh, I was editing my post while you replied to the one above so that's the reason your quote of my post is a little different).
Knock yourself out cowboy...your comment didn't change the facts anyway...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular

Knock yourself out cowboy...your comment didn't change the facts anyway...
Okay, I'll play nice. How did you feel insulted when asked to check out a book and then come back?

Now I'll go to time out...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:57 PM

Okay, I'll play nice. How did you feel insulted when asked to check out a book and then come back?

Now I'll go to time out...
This comment:

"Obviously you can't make any educated decisions by yourself without your financial advisor".

Tell me that's not a dig?

Quick Reply: Crossfires on Overstock.Com!!