Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

5th Annual Fall 2011 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Sept. 30, Oct 1 & 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 5th Annual Fall 2011 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Sept. 30, Oct 1 & 2

Originally Posted by amx1397
Tom it is because I only go in a straight line , like 1/4 mile drag race, I never said i could drive side ways only straight ahead. besides i have a V8 in my crossfire because 99.98 % of all crossfires don't have the V8, and I DO jim
Great answer Jim, That is why I have one as well. Your math was real close but may be off just a little. I came up with 99.99% of all Crossfires never had a V8. This is based on:

Total Crossfires: 76,047

V8's:

Germany, 2
Mine, 1
Finished Rudy Cars, 3
Currently under construction, 2
Hemi Crossfire, 1

Total V8's Worldwide, 7, (soon to be 9)

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just yankin your chain, Jim! You drive your car however makes you happy. <thumbs up>

Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Good answer Jim. Thanks again for the trans dip stick and helping with the coolant leak. May see you at Kim's Daytona GTG.
Jim let me know if you are going to Daytona I will follow u down , .

Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tom2112
Just yankin your chain, Jim! You drive your car however makes you happy. <thumbs up>
I know you were yanking my chain, and i am not affended ,,, sticks and stones can hurt but just don't hurt my car. LOL sometimes i ask my self why I do things, but we all must do what makes us happy, Mine is, wife first and kids second and then car,, but my wife says i put the car first,,, yea, kinda, maybe, ok I do, LOL. jim

Last edited by amx1397; 10-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do Howard. BTW John Book will be back at the Dragon this week end and into next week and we talked about meeting up for another fun run. Could you get away for a day?

It would be nice to get a small group together. Nick or anyone else close enough and flexable enough to make it? I have a friend that just got a 2011 Cayman that might like to go.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Yes I can make it ,are you talking about this saturday ?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Howard it won't be Saturday as his son has another home game that day. Nothing set yet. I will talk to John and PM you.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM

Howard it won't be Saturday as his son has another home game that day. Nothing set yet. I will talk to John and PM you.
Sounds good.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do Howard. BTW John Book will be back at the Dragon this week end and into next week and we talked about meeting up for another fun run. Could you get away for a day?

It would be nice to get a small group together. Nick or anyone else close enough and flexable enough to make it? I have a friend that just got a 2011 Cayman that might like to go.
Sadly I am not able to join this adventure. Maybe further down the football season?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Doc.................very funny- Gary gets pretty fun if he drinks gold booz

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

My new job means that, by Spring, I may be less than 3 hours from the magic....

Just saying.......

Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Jim and Howard, I flew back to Orlando Tuesday so I could leave my car there. I will be back in Bryson City Sunday night and will be there for a couple of weeks. I can do a weekday or weekend. WCU is away and as long as he is redshirted I won't travel to the games. GAME ON !!! Ill PM both of you when I get back North.

Thanks again to everyone. Ben and I had a great time Sun. Osofast thanks to both you and your wife for the gift. Nick that pic was great!!!best one of the weekend I have seen. DOC and Franc the trip was worth it to meet both of you. Wish I could have spent more time with both of you. Howard we must get together, I think I spent all of five minutes with you, and Braless at that!!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by john book
Jim and Howard, I flew back to Orlando Tuesday so I could leave my car there. I will be back in Bryson City Sunday night and will be there for a couple of weeks. I can do a weekday or weekend. WCU is away and as long as he is redshirted I won't travel to the games. GAME ON !!! Ill PM both of you when I get back North.

Thanks again to everyone. Ben and I had a great time Sun. Osofast thanks to both you and your wife for the gift. Nick that pic was great!!!best one of the weekend I have seen. DOC and Franc the trip was worth it to meet both of you. Wish I could have spent more time with both of you. Howard we must get together, I think I spent all of five minutes with you, and Braless at that!!!!!
John Im game a Saturday trip would work great for me ,,not sure about jim ,let us know when ur ready and yes it will be GAME ON

Later my friend..

Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 516 Likes on 356 Posts

Cathy and I are safely tucked back in this morning at 5:30 AM. The trip to CT was wonderful. I suggest if anyone has a reason to travel up I-26 from Asheville NC thru Virginia via I-81 you will not be dissapointed in the views. Astonishingly beautiful country.

A straight run to Norwich by Monday morning and a visit with the grandkids. New owner took possesion of the CAA SRT6 after contracting a sudden acute case of permagrin.

It is a long 1250 miles to St Louis in a car that has no provision fo sleep arrangements. Indiana and Ohio get the award for worst highways ever endured. And I mean ever.

We do apologize for bugging out Sunday, but as it turns out,we are glad we did so. Three hard days of travel whew! Even a crossfire seat gets old after 3,500 miles.

That said, I couldn't wait to get in the seat of mine for work today.

We had a great time in Fontana. See you guys this spring

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-06-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got home safely and managed to not get blown off the road.

Photos:
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/g...0the%20Dragon/

Last edited by itsky; 10-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have attended and experienced big trucks on the Dragon, you may be interested in this petition to have them banned. They do have some other ones they try to sneak in to have you support at the end so keep your eye out if you don't support it.

Also look at the bottom of this front page ..... FLAT BEDS IN THE ONCOMING LANE. It's time for Tennessee and North Carolina to act !!!! SIGN THIS PETITION TO BAN TRUCKS

Old 10-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

As an old trucker, I can tell you cheap GPS units will bring those guys up the wrong roads... Think how they feel once they are screwed and already started up the mountain... you can't just turn around, you are committed once you start up. I took a 28' motorhome, with my inboard ski boat attached up one of these roads because my GPS said it was ok... Ok for sports cars and bikes maybe... I agree more signage and ban is needed, as long as the signage comes before the fine... I can't understand why any of the locals want to even pull their boats up that mountain either... I have never seen a lake at the top yet...lol. New trucking industry GPS units are on the market now, and they are getting better, but signage, and big bold signage is needed to warn truckers before they even get on 129 and the other roads that are similar...the signage I have seen wouldn't be seen at night, and it just states last chance to turn around, but really doesn't say what they are in for... The road I was stuck on was out of Frankfort KY...I will always remember that experience, as I know any truck that was dumb enough to take the Dragon will remember for their lifetime as well...All for the ban though...southern Indiana has some roads that are now off limits for tractor/trailers now...I found that out the hard way too...but I didn't take the road, but turning around wasn't all that easy...so, turn around points have to be established as well....everyone screws up...but you need a way out...petition signed...

Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 PM

as a 20+ yr trucker i think all the roads should be banned. then the public can get everything they need directly from china. you only have to take your car there and load it up. how do you suggest deals gap gets its groceries and gas to the store? by mule? ban on trucks.... should be a ban on idiot cars passing on the shoulder, people driving 40 ft campers and prevost motor homes yet they cant parallel park a yugo. ban the folks playing dvd's , fixing their hair , eating, playing with their kids, and every other idiot out there. but really lets ban the folks who have millions of miles under their belts first of course its all their fault. that road was there decades before the invention of the gps and cell fone. truckers did just fine then and will continue to do so now. my company pays taxes for road use in both tn and n.c., ill take my slice out of the middle of the road. something to remember BIGGER WINS! DONT GET IN MY WAY AND YOU WONT GET RUN OVER!! rant finished

Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I can relate to what you stated Steve, but a few more roads have been built since 129 was around, and with better information, it could be avoided. I was using my GPS coming down, has trucking software in it, and forgot to change it to "CAR" mode, and it was taking me the long way around to get to the Dam...so the new software works, but many buy the cheap car GPS's and use them in the trucks. But, signage needs to be there before the ban and fines take place...and you are correct, some trucks will have to be exempt for deliveries, so all won't be banned...

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rant away all you want Steve, doesn't bother me in the least bit. With my experiences, I'm not about to say the guy that died which this petition is in honor of wasn't in some way at fault either...but I don't know and it doesn't matter. I'm sure that truck driver is living in his own sort of hellish thoughts about what happened.

I think Doc brings up some very good points about bigger signage (I say lighted as well) and notices about fines. I also agree they need to make sure if they make a mistake they have the ability to turn around in multiple areas to include the final warning.

Anyway, this wasn't posted against truckers, one of my relatives is one. But I do believe this is the benefit of the truckers as well.

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Fall 2011 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Sept. 30, Oct 1 & 2