Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

An introduction to the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default An introduction to the Tail of the Dragon

If you will be attending the Tail of the Dragon get-to-gether for the first time, here is an updated introduction that may be helpful . . .

First, this is a good overview / summary of what the Tail of the Dragon is all about . . .

The List #0011: Drive the Tail of the Dragon - Autoblog

Helpful hints (many borrowed and / or summarized from prior year's member posts) . . .

1) Get / bring a family channel walkie talkie radio with you. That is how the various groups communicate during the organized runs . . .

2) Plan to arrive at Fontana Village while it's still daylight . . . The roads become challenging and stressful after dark . . .

3) Fuel up BEFORE you get to the lodge so you arrive at the lodge with a near full tank of fuel.

4) Many lodge rooms have refrigerators but some do not. Ask if your room has a refrigerator. If not, bring along appropriate coolers. FREE ice machines are in the main lodge.

5) If you're not staying in the main lodge building, bring a good flashlight with fresh batteries. The grounds are VERY dark at night and you'll be glad you have a flashlight for walking to and from the main lodge building.

6) Wi-Fi is active ONLY in the area of the main lodge building . . . and don't count on having any reliable cell phone service anywhere on the Fontana property or in the surrounding areas. Cell phone service IS available in the lobby area of the main lodge.

7) Group organizers / leaders will host a driver's meeting in the lobby of the main lodge building on Friday evening at 9:00 PM. Plan to attend so you will be informed about what's planned for the weekend!

8) There will be organized group runs on Saturday and Sunday. The Friday night meeting will introduce you to the various group leaders. There are runs designed to accommodate every driver's skill and comfort level. We're all there to have a good time. You can decide which group you'll want to join.

9) Saturday morning at about 9:00 AM everyone will be asked to gather for a group Crossfire photo.

10) After that photo session, you will join up with your group leader for the day's run. The runs are planned to include a lunch stop.

This is by no means an all inclusive list. Other members PLEASE chime in with additional suggestions and helpful information.

After you have slayed the dragon, all you "dragon slayers" should check out these nicely done chrome tail of the dragon emblems for your Crossfire . . .

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...on-emblem.html

Last edited by RED DOG; 04-12-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default re: An introduction to the Tail of the Dragon

Well done!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Very well done, all I would add is:

1) It can be, sometimes, hard to determine which group you belong in if you have never been there before. If you arrive Thursday or early Friday, you can run around with those of us who get there early and after telling us what you think of the pace we set, you will know what group you belong in. I ALWAYS run the Dragon two or more times on Friday - you are welcome to come with me to see what you think. (I am very much a "moderate"; if I bore you, you need to run with Nick and if I get away from you, you should go with Jonathan or Micheal.)

2) If the pace of a group is too much, please fall back (pull over and let others by) and take up the tail - do not drive beyond your comfort zone - we've only lost one car on the Dragon EVER and seeing someone wreck makes interesting stories but ruins the weekend. Don't worry about us getting too far ahead of you - we will wait for you at the next turn IF we don't run into slow traffic, in which case you will catch up anyway. (And we ALWAYS meet slower traffic.) If you are struggling, we can tell, and if you drop back you don't look bad - you earn our respect. Several times in my early Dragons, I'd be 2 or 3 cars from the back, all over the road, throwing gravel up, driving a lousy line and I had to be told to get in back where I was not a threat to another car's finish. Do not be offended if something is said to you; and remember, there is NO greater feeling than to hear another driver, two years later, tell you how you have improved. I was a horrible driver at first - now I lead the moderates and almost keep up with Nick.

3) My first Dragon I drove the entire Dragon at 30mph and had a blast - so read 2) again! I have had a great time over the last four years learning to drive - enjoy the journey and don't expect to keep up with Nick (Aggressive/Pants on Fire group) on your first Dragon.

4) The weekend is named "Tail of the Dragon" but remember that only about 5% of the miles you drive over the weekend are on the Dragon - so don't let all the talk of the Dragon bother you.

5) Read RED DOG's post again about bringing a radio - it greatly enhances the fun of the weekend and you will know: why we are stopping/where we are going/about that dog in the road ahead, and you can request a restroom break if needed. Several times I have heard, "I sure wish I'd brought a radio..."

6) First timers make the weekend way more fun - so thanks for being here!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, yep and...yep!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max & pizza: most informative...an excellent overview...Carl

My Dragon "badge"...

Attached Thumbnails An introduction to the Tail of the Dragon-img_20140409_113501-1-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up re: An introduction to the Tail of the Dragon

RedDog: Sorry for the omission of recognition for your input as originator of this thread...excellent foresight for the benefit to all...Carl

Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

My thanks goes out to RedDog and others who have provided good info for the newbies and even the regulars who will be attending.
All very good info to have prior to the event.
I have linked this thread to the event thread
Gary

Last edited by Valk; 04-14-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Great summaries and overview of the experience gained during a XFire ToD GTG weekend in Fontana. I really enjoyed the commentary from RedDog & pizzaguy.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just would like to add that we often encounter couples where on part of them would rather not drive too fast. We always have single Drivers so you might want to ask them to join them so everyone can enjoy the Dragon for all it's ment to be.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM

FYI - Cindy and I will have a Suburban up at Fontana Village again this fall. As sometimes the Crossfire's designated passenger might better enjoy a leisurely drive tagging along with the "tourist group" rather than a screaming / arm pounding / terrifying experience in their Crossfire, Cindy can take up to six passengers along in our Suburban. This option is available for both / either the Saturday or Sunday runs. Please let us know if you would like to reserve a spot in the Suburban for either or both days. You can e-mail us directly at RedDogNumber1@aol.com . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 07-15-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
2) If the pace of a group is too much, please fall back (pull over and let others by) and take up the tail - do not drive beyond your comfort zone - we've only lost one car on the Dragon EVER and seeing someone wreck makes interesting stories but ruins the weekend.
Only as a note of "Historical Significance" (and not to have anybody feel as though they're being forgotten) I believe two Crossfires from our group have been totaled on the winding roads surrounding Fontana Lodge.
Thankfully, both drivers, and passengers only had minor injuries.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys have a "granny group"? I'm thinking I will just buy a magnetic yellow caution light, put it on the car, and drive behind all of you.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by angela1968
Do you guys have a "granny group"? I'm thinking I will just buy a magnetic yellow caution light, put it on the car, and drive behind all of you.
We don't have a granny group but you and your guy will have a great time running with what we affectionately call the tourist group.
You'll enjoy plenty of opportunity to push your Crossfire a bit and sharpen your driving skills.
These cars pretty much go were you point them.
Remember to get / bring along a family band walkie-talkie radio to communicate within your group!
Welcome aboard and we look forward to seeing you in October . . .

Last edited by Valk; 04-14-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great tips and info from all, i would just add that we all usually meet for breakfast around 7.30 - 8am (for those that have breakfast), and its a good time to socialize. Remember please dont feel left out, obviously those of us that have been many times before tend to chat in groups but we all want to involve any newbies. So just come over and join in, the parking lot tends to be a good meeting place as well and we usually end up around the cars talking about the days events or under the hood fixing someones car.
In the evening we usually end up down at the Wildwood grill which is within the grounds of the hotel, burgers and pizza cheap and filling. We usually put table together for large groups and again this is a good time to get to know people.
The whole aim of the long weekend is for EVERYONE to enjoy themselves, not to see who is the fastest driver (although we know Nick usually wins that one), and we are a very friendly group you wont feel left out , and by the end of each days runs you will have got to know at least that group of people (usually about 10 cars in each run)
In the evening after the meal most folks end up in the reception area, there is a bar but its expensive (as hotels usually are), we tend to bring our own beers or anything stronger, and discretely consume it in the lounge/ reception area. We just dont leave any bottles around afterwards to keep things ok with the hotel management. There are two levels we use so if the people you want to talk to are not in the main area go downstairs below the reception and some will be down there sharing stories and generally having a fun time.

If you dont go away from the weekend with a big smile on your face and thinking about booking your room for the next Spring or Fall meeting then we haven't done our job properly .

See you all there very soon
Andy

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

For those attending their first ToD (Tail of the Dragon) Crossfire weekend, you needn't be too concerned about the "spirited" driving that typically occurs throughout the weekend. There are many Owners who have considerable experience on many of the roads scattered throughout the area. These individuals are the ones that can give you very important tips on handling the roadways.

And you need to understand that all of the roadways in this area are public roads. As such, they have posted speed limits and are monitored by local authorities. Now, because of the area's reputation and drawing power for weekend car club gatherings (and biker clubs), there is a lot of "looking the other way" by local authorities. But on occasion, someone gets a speeding ticket which usually brings everyone back to reality.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself in the area, which is beautiful. Learn many new things about the the Crossfire, its capabilities and yours. Wish we could join you this October.

Oh, in case anyone hasn't already stated it, once you enter the Tail of the Dragon stretch, you are committed. There isn't any means of exiting the "twisties" until you get to the other end.

Later,

Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

I really appreciate everyone sharing your perspective of this fantastic weekend event from your experiences as a recent guest or a regular from the beginning back in fall 2007.

I encourage anyone who has not come to one of these gatherings to join us
It is a really great weekend among many wonderful people of all ages and occupations.

Some even fortunate enough to be living the retired years.
We all share one COMMON thing......OUR CROSSFIRES and that is why we all come together to begin with

Pretty amazing when ya think about it.

Gary

Old 06-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Good news, while cell service is poor, they are making strides in better wireless internet up there.