Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts
Default 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016

BIG ALERT! On February 2, 2016 our reserved rooms are released to the general public - we have only 7 left and it sounds like another group needs them. PLEASE BOOK NOW if you want to go!

Come Join all of us at the 9
th Annual Spring 2016 CROSSFIRE "Tail of the Dragon" March 31 to April 4

In the Mountains of North Carolina (off HWY 28 just 9 miles south of the Dragon's South end)

This post: General Event Information
Post 2: Attendance List
Post 3: Route Descriptions
Post 4: Activities (of the Non-Driving type - boat rids, museums, gokarts, etc.)
Post 5: Check here for easy-to-find info on something that has changed - no need to read posts over and over!
Post 6: *Reserved*
(Do not read that post.)

STOP SCROLLING AND READ THE ABOVE - I wanted to make it easier to keep up with changes this time!

CLICK > Fontana Village Resort - A Great Smoky Mountain Destination!

Official website - CLICK >Tail of the Dragon

PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU WILL BE ATTENDING
I WILL PUT YOU ON THE LIST IN POST #2

This will be new: Please post your name(s) and city and state to enable us to create name tags this year.

About the event:
Enjoy the accommodations at the Fontana Village Resort in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina.
Enjoy meeting other members and experience some incredible driving in groups around the Smokey Mountains.
This get-together (GTG) is for drivers of all skill levels and driving interests.
Route leaders will be taking individual groups on routes and runs that vary from a relaxing drive in the mountains, to those that might make some passengers (and even DRIVERS) a little queasy.

Helpful Info
Click these 2 links below to read useful info and tips especially if your are attending for the first time
Newbie info for the Dragon meets - North Carolina
An updated introduction to the Tail of the Dragon

Room reservations

I have added Thursday night to our room block this Fall for those who want to arrive a day earlier than the majority of folks who will arrive Friday
You are encouraged to arrive Thursday evening and leave Monday morning!

Just call (828) 498 2211 and ask for the reservations desk.
Tell them your booking with the "Chrysler Crossfire Group" to be certain to get our group rate.
Our discounted lodge rates (with Our Crossfire Group discount) are:
Lodge Room - Two Queen Beds - $85
Lodge Room - King Bed - $85
Lodge Room - King Fireplace - $95

Rooms available while they last.
Discounted room rate is for October 1, 2, 3, 4 only
- however, if you ask nicely, they usually will extend the rate beyond this range a day or two.

Reservations must be made by February 1, 2016 to get a room at our group rate

Cancellation Policy
Reservations canceled more than 30 days in advance of arrival are subject to a $50.00 cancellation fee which will be retained from the deposit.
Reservations canceled within less than 30 days of arrival will forfeit the full deposit.
Please be aware that reservations that are shortened within the 30 day time frame will be charged for any days dropped.

IF YOU MUST CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION
Avoid cancellation fees
Please keep in mind that we always have last-minute attendees looking for a place to stay
(and the lodge WILL be booked as we near the cutoff date ).
If you must cancel, announce it in this thread so that those who want to go can take over your reservation
Once they choose to do this for you ....you can call the lodge and ask them to give your room to the other guest by providing their full name
Your credit card will be credited once they have the new credit card info from the person who takes over your reservation

Pet Rules at Fontana Lodge

$150 non refundable pet deposit for Lodge rooms.
This has been a strict policy for 5 years now and has been implemented by the owners of the property
We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause some of our members

CLICK > Fontana Village Resort - A Great Smoky Mountain Destination!
In the Mountains of North Carolina (off HWY 28 just 9 miles south of the Dragon's South end)

CLICK > Mapquest Link
Set your GPS to:
300 Woods Rd.
Fontana Dam, NC
This will bring you directly to the Fontana Lodge

CLICK > to see Spring & Fall Dragon Attendance History

CLICK > Photo links and view last years meets below:
Spring 2014 - Tail of the Dragon meet
Fall 2014 - Tail of the Dragon meet

If distance to this event is a problem consider flying into Knoxville and renting a car
It's only about a 75 minute drive to the Lodge where we all stay
There is always a passenger seat open for you to ride along in a Crossfire and enjoy the fun

This event is not to be missed I assure you
CLICK > McGhee Tyson Airport

The View from the Lodge Pictured above:

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-ciccilogo.jpg  

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-30-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Default Re: 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4 2016

Attendance
If you are bringing more than one car, tell me - each car gets an entry in this list!
First time Dragon attendees are in BLUE

Pizzaguy - Mark - Cumming, GA ***Spring Event Coordinator - Moderate Group Leader (Cherohala Run Saturday, Pizza's Sunset Cruise, etc.)
Pacemaker - Johnathan and Murfi - Knoxville, TN ***Tourist Class Leader and Chaplain
Kleito - Charlie and Marilyn - Kennesaw, GA
Iamfink2 - Pat - Laurel, MD
Thornh - Thorn - Greensboro, NC
Deerhunter - Mary and Carlos - Powder Springs, GA
thirteendog - Nick - Lebanon, TN
deezfire - Dee - Aurora, IL ***Spring Event Assistant Coordinator and CICCI EVP of Member Services
osofast2 - Ray and ? - Lexington, KY
rogerlemoine - Roger and Pam - Beaufort, SC

UnDunnY2K - Colleen and Jeff - Watertown WI
Mr.Peebody2011 - Zachary - Eton, GA
Oakwood XF - Tricia and Darrell - Oakwood, GA
Larskeller - Lars and Joyce - Acworth, GA
Kstewart - Kenneth & Barbara - Waynesburg, PA
UK-SRT6 - Mo and Gill - London, England, United Kingdom Can you believe this?
RETS - John - Murphreesboro, TN
Steps -
Steve and Trezi - Ponte Vedra, Fl
***** - Marvin and Irmgard - Dayton, OH
BisB - David - Chicago, IL

TabnEd - Tabatha and Eddie - Port Huron, Mi.
Lilcool34 - Bobby and Cheryl - Fairburn, GA
Elalyn - Ella - Gainesville, Ga
Mickey 5469 - John - Gainesville, Ga
Grey Blitz - Jack and Inge - Northport, FL
Shamrock - Wayne and Jane - Wilmington, NC
mbrown - John and Melissa - Bloomington, IN
***** - Carol Ann and James - Buford, GA

singerron - Ron and Jenny - Mount Union, PA
***** - Eric and Son - New Carlisle, OH

RobH41- Rob - Nashville, TN

WHIZARD - ? - Dallas, GA
***** - Melanie - Wilmington, NC
msxfire - Lisa - Macomb, MI
aking57 - Andy - Apex, NC
FastFunFor2 - Jeff - Simpsonville, NC
FreddyL - Fred - Hayesville, NC

PLEASE NOTE, everyone:

The commitee (well, Dee, really) is preparing attendee packages that will be handed out at registration - but we'd like to send electronic copies as soon as they are ready, via email. With that
thought in mind, please send your email address to: deenfof25@gmail.com as soon as you can. Even if you are only THINKING of going at this time - feel free to send her your email anyway. Anyone who asks to be put on the email list will be put on it.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-23-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Route Descriptions

Attendee packs will be emailed to those on Dee's (deezfire) email list with these maps and more information. At this time, not knowing the weather or attendance, we have litle idea what runs will be offered. Usually, the leaders make their decisions Friday evening right before the driver's meeting. Be at the 9pm driver's meeting and we will let you know what we are doing. For sure, there has never been a Dragon meet without a Cherohala Skyway run and either a Franklin or Bridal Veil Falls run and there WILL be a Pizza's sunset cruise - beyond that, we just can't say.

Pizza's Sunset Cruise

Some of you know the funny story of how this run came about, I won't repeat it here (but if you are all nice to me, maybe I'll tell the story Friday night). It has occurred to me that this run can not only be fun on Saturday evening, but it can serve a real purpose. We've had a REAL issue in the past: People come to the Dragon, go on a run, and come back Saturday evening sorry they went the with the group they signed up for. Either the pace was too slow for them, or it was too fast and they hated "driving like that on roads I've never been on." A few have never returned, due to that experience. That bothers me. Well, now I have the answer.

Pizza's Sunset Cruise will now be offered on Friday at 6pm AND Saturday evening at 5pm. We will line up with the new/slower/less confident drivers in the rear. We start with a nice tourist class drive and after a few miles, we will pick up the pace. Depending on traffic, by the time we get back to the lodge, this will be a moderate to perhaps a "pants on fire" run. We will leave slower drivers behind - but fear not, this is an EASY route and you CANNOT get lost. Anyone not back to the lodge in an hour (most will be back in 35 minutes) will be searched for! But seriously, I have discovered THREE routes and they are all super easy.

When you return to the lodge, you will KNOW what group to get into for Saturday's run (and all those runs are 4 1/2 to 6 hours long, so you don't want to be in the WRONG group.)

For those of us who have reduced our tire tread depth on this run before, it will serve as a nice (in my best Bruce Willis voice) "Welcome to the party, Pal".

For newcomers, it will serve to set you up for a MUCH more enjoyable Saturday.

This is a great idea, one more like this and I can dump the dunce cap.

The Cherohala Skyway Run

The Franklin Run

The Bridal Veil Falls Run

The Devil's Triangle Run

The Cherokee / Smokey Mountains Run

The Wheels Thru Time Museum Run

The Road to NoWhere Run

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-skyway-diagram.jpg   9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-bridal-veil-falls-diagram.jpg   9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-devil-s-triangle-diagram.jpg   9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-franklin-diagram.jpg   9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-smokey-mountains-diagram.jpg  

9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016-wheels-thru-time-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-10-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: After the falls "left back onto TN165"
Old 10-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Administrator

*Reserved for the list of OTHER activities....*

Event organizers sometimes come up with fun stuff to do - but more often, some attendee thinks of something - THIS post will contain any activity that anyone comes up with for us to do as a group or groups or as individuals - like rafting, gokarting, nude skydiving - you get the idea.

The recently formed "Dragon Committee"* are working together on several new ideas to enhance future Crossfire Get-To-Gethers at the spring and fall Tail of the Dragon events. Stay tuned here for details.

If you have ideas for group activities that we can include or for anything else that you feel can help make these Tail of the Dragon GTGs more special and even more fun, please share your thoughts here or directly with anyone on the Dragon Committee. In the meantime, mark your calendar and please plan to join us at the 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG! (see post #1 in this thread for details).

*The Committee:
Spring Dragon event coordinator Mark Christopher (Pizzaguy)
Fall dragon event coordinator Andrew King (AKing57)
CICCI EVP of Membership Services Dee Hakala (Deezfire)
Dragon event leader emeritus Gary Wemple (VALK)
Tourist Class Leader and Crossfire Chaplain Jonathan Pederson (Pacemaker)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-16-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Administrator

*Reserved for a place to post changes in the information above in posts 1, 2, 3 and 4"
(It is sometimes hard to read a post looking for new information - any new/changed info will be right here.)

January 29, 2016 - BIG ALERT! On February 2, 2016 our reserved rooms are released to the general public - we have only 7 left and it sounds like another group needs them. PLEASE BOOK NOW if you want to go!

January 9, 2016 revised the following posts:

Post 2 - added leader titles
Post 3 - added route maps and a description of Pizza's Sunset Cruise and why it is now offered both Friday and Saturday

January, 15, 2016 revised the following post:

Post 4 - added Pacemaker to planning committee

In other news:

Item 1 -

The commitee (well, Dee, really) is preparing attendee packages that will be handed out at registration - but we'd like to send electronic copies as soon as they are ready, via email. With that thought in mind, please send your email address to: deenfof25@gmail.com as soon as you can.

Item 2 -
The Tail of the Dragon Planning Committee is pleased to announce that our Tail of the Dragon T-shirts are now available for pre-order. Production will take place in early January 2016. The price is $20.00 per T-shirt delivered to your door. Kindly note add +$2.00 for size 2XL and add +$4.00 for size 3XL. These are top quality shirts printed on Gilden brand heavyweight 50/50 poly cotton blend stock. They are available in either black or white. Also note that these shirts do not specify spring or fall or date so they are representative of ANY Crossfire Tail of the Dragon GTG past or future.

To place your order please send an e-mail to Dee Hakala at deenfof25@gmail.com
Please include your full name, shipping address, your phone number, the color and size of shirt(s) you are ordering
These T-shirts will also be available for purchase at future Crossfire Tail of the Dragon events.

Name:  Tee%20shirts%20black_zpsdw5fpwfc.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  Tee%20shirts%20white%20_zpsmqn50dqw.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  100.5 KB

Thanks . . . ENJOY YOUR CROSSFIRE! HOPE TO SEE YOU AT A FUTURE TAIL OF THE DRAGON GTG!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-30-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Administrator

*Reserved for the list of people who won't attend for what ever lame reason*

(You know: "No money", "No time off", "Nothing appropriate to wear", or "I just broke both legs in a skydiving accident" - you know those people.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-23-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Charlie and Marilyn, Kennesaw GA

Old 10-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be there probably solo this time. This will be the 18th Dragon for me, I just can't stop HELP ME!

Last edited by Iamfink2; 10-05-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, count me in as well. I'm also OCD...

Old 10-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
*Reserved for the list of people who won't attend for what ever lame reason*
(You know: "No money", "No time off", "Nothing appropriate to wear", or "I just broke both legs in a skydiving accident" - you know those people.)
I hope I don't end up on this post #
Time will tell

Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

NICE MOVE! Freshly home and still smiling from this falls Dragon and here you are wanting my name on this list...

Old 10-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, add Mary and Carlos Diaz to the list, Powder Springs, GA

Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Are you PROMISING to DRAG him there??? Did post 6 get to him???

Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fall Dragon 2015...the best yet for me!!~!... even tho it rained, I had a blast...Sign me up for the Spring...Carl

Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Re: 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4 2016

Yes Mark, Carlos has to come see what all the Excitement is about.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM

I am beyond excited to be part of Spring 2016 Dragon and I look forward to working with MC (pizza guy ) on logistics ..... Stay tuned ..... I'll try to calm down by then ... 😉

Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go ahead put me on list ,it may be me and my grandson this spring ,

Old 11-03-2015, 05:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The recently formed "Dragon Committee" [spring dragon event coordinator Mark Christopher (Pizzaguy), fall dragon event coordinator Andrew King (AKing57), CICCI EVP of Membership Services Dee Hakala (Deezfire) and myself CICCI President Bob Davis (Red Dog)] are working together on several new ideas to enhance future Crossfire Get-To-Gethers at the spring and fall Tail of the Dragon events. Stay tuned here for details.

If you have ideas for group activities that we can include or for anything else that you feel can help make these Tail of the Dragon GTGs more special and even more fun, please share your thoughts here or directly with anyone on the Dragon Committee. In the meantime, mark your calendar and please plan to join us at the 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG! (see post #1 in this thread for details).

Last edited by RED DOG; 11-04-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:13 AM

The new club President of CICCI , Bob Davis, REDDOG is a mover and a shaker ! As a newbee I can say first hand, if you have not come to a Dragon GTG - you truly are missing a special event.

The Dragon needs slaying , the mountains reach out and gobble you up, yet it is our rides and those who drive them that top the cake ! Or perhaps I should say Mountain! Still riding high from my very first trip to hwy 129!

The newly formed committee is going get some great things going for our reunions -- family reunions! That's the essence of making this event! It is a family reunion! You deserve this and so does your Crossfire - our cars love love love those mountains and in particular those 11 miles with 318 curves!

What are you waiting for ? Oh ....March 2016! See you then! Cheers - Dee - deezfire

Old 11-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular

I already had my room booked for this event Friday night during the Driver's Meeting! Also booked for the Fall 2016 event as well. Please make note.

Quick Reply: 9th Annual Spring Tail of the Dragon GTG - March 31 - April 4, 2016