Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

****This thread under construction but feel free to post your attendance. I'd like to get your name(s) and City and State as well.****

Come to the 7th Annual Spring 2014 CROSSFIRE

"Tail of the Dragon"
GTG
April 3,4,5 - 2015
(Low room rates available from March 30 to April 8th - so come early and stay late!)

Once again, your event coordinator will be Pizzaguy. THIS TIME, maybe I will actually attend and NOT end up in the hospital.

Please post in this thread if you will be attending and I'll put you on the list in post #2

Please give me your name(s), city and state (makes setting up convoys to the Dragon easier - it's way more fun to drive there with friends). If you are bringing more than one Crossfire, please include that in your post because each CAR gets an entry in the list.

This is also the thread to ask any questions about the event. This get-together (GTG) is for drivers of all skill levels and driving interests. Route leaders will be taking small groups (up to 14 cars) on routes and runs that vary from a relaxing drive in the mountains, to those that might make some passengers (and even DRIVERS) a little queasy.

Enjoy the accommodations at the Fontana Lodge Resort in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina.
Enjoy meeting other members and some incredible driving in groups around the Smokey Mountains.

Fontana Village Resort. A Great Smoky Mountain Destination!
^^^That line is a link^^^
in the Mountains of North Carolina
(off HWY 28 just 9 miles south of the Dragon's South end)

Mapquest Link

Set your GPS to:
300 Woods Rd.
Fontana Dam, NC
This should bring you directly to the Fontana Lodge

Room reservations are now being accepted !!

Just call (800) 849-2258 and ask for the reservations desk.
Tell them your booking with the "Chrysler Crossfire Group" to be certain to get our group rate.
Our discounted lodge rates are $84.00 (with Our Crossfire Group discount)

PET RULES AT FONTANA LODGE
$150 non refundable pet deposit for Lodge rooms.
This has been a strict policy for 5 years now and has been implemented by the owners of the property
We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause some of our members and Gary tried to negotiate but was unsuccessful.
There may be cabins available that are pet-friendly, but availability is limited and the price won't be $84.00 a night.

The lodge also operates a campground less than three miles from the lodge - call the lodge or click the link above the picture of the pool (above) for details.

Cancellation Policy
Reservations canceled more than 30 days in advance of arrival are subject to a $50.00 cancellation fee which will be retained from the deposit.
Reservations canceled within less than 30 days of arrival will forfeit the full deposit.
Please be aware that reservations that are shortened within the 30 day time frame will be charged for any days dropped.
This is their official policy, but they have been known to be forgiving and flexible with a group as large as ours.

IF YOU MUST CANCEL AT THE LAST MINUTE:
Please keep in mind that we always have last-minute attendees looking for a place to stay (and the lodge WILL be booked as we near the first of April). If you must cancel, announce it in this thread so that those who want to go can 'buy' your room from you! Once they paypal you (or whatever) you can call the lodge and ask them to give your room to the other guest.

****IN ROOM COFFEE !****
Some of you were a bit disappopinted that there was no in-room coffee - that has been addressed. As I left the lodge after the Fall 2014 Dragon, I signed the contract for this meet. My contact told me that all rooms "should have coffee makers in them" as free coffee in the lobby is a thing of the past. They made the change due to customer complaints!

The VW R32s and the Genesis coupes will be there that weekend as well - get a room while they are easy to book.

(And I must say, the people in both of these groups are good to be on the road with!)

CLICK > to see Spring & Fall Dragon Attendance History

CLICK > Photo links and view previous meets below:

Spring 2014 - Tail of the Dragon meet

Fall 2014 - Tail of the Dragon meet

If distance to this event is a problem consider flying into Knoxville and renting a car
It's only about a 75 minute drive to the Lodge where we all stay
This event is not to be missed I assure you
**Riding in the right seat of someone else's car can be a REAL BLAST and way cheaper than buying your OWN gas**

CLICK > McGhee Tyson Airport

We now have a Facebook page for this event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1549...9364065330507/

Last edited by Valk; 04-08-2015 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added photo link for Fall 2014
Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Default re: 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

Attending

Pizzaguy - Cumming, GA -- (Mark)
Saranomie - South Carolina - (Sara)
Deerhunter - Powder Springs, GA - (Mary and Hubby)

SRT6GRL - Anderson, SC - (Tracy and Randy)
Idelibility - Cornelius, SC - (Jason and Courtney)
newB2012 - Roxboro, NC - (Barbara and Terry)

singerron - Mount Union, PA - (Ron and Jenny)
Kleito - Kennesaw, GA - (Charlie and Marilyn)
Rets - Tennessee - (John)
IamFink2 - Laurel, MD - (Pat and Mickie)

ThornH - Greensboro, NC - (Margaret and Thorn)
Pacemaker - Knoxville, TN - (Jonathan and Murfi)
Randyradio - Brunswick, GA - (Randy)
Larskeller - Acworth, GA - (Lars and Joyce)
Mrmiata/AeroBlueGirl - Kellyville, OK - (Greg and Sherri)
Amstel1977 - Lavoina, GA - (Mike and Julie)
Micanopyxfire - Micanopy, Florida - (Keith and Ray)
AKing57 - Apex, NC - (Andy)
Couv - New Elenton, SC -
(Robert)
Eric Xfire6 -New Carlisle, OH - (Eric)

Possible: Franc Rausher

Last edited by pizzaguy; 04-02-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Default re: 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

*** Routes and Leaders ***

As of this time, leaders are TBA. In addition to the routes below, our leaders may offer runs thru "The Devil's Triangle" Devils Triangle TN survive this hostile two lane adventure..., a ride to the wonderful "Wheels Thru Time" Museum Wheels Through Time | The Museum That Runs, a visit to a microbrewery or winery, or perhaps someone will take us on a ride to "The Road to Nowhere" The Story of the Road To Nowhere with an option of a not-very-long walk down on one of a few foot trails accessible from the "nowhere" end of the road.
If there is interest,
a sunset cruise on Fontana Lake (narrated by a local who knows well the history of the area) is a favorite. Check this post and entire thread later for updates and more information as we get closer to the event weekend.

**Click on links below**

You can print these directions and bring them with you, however, if you travel in one of our groups, you really don't need them unless you wish to take off on your own during the drive.
---
Cherohala Skyway run
Complete loop / Return through the Dragon

---
Cherohala Skyway with double back
***This route does NOT include the Dragon***

---
Cherokee/Smokey Mountain run
Complete Loop / Return through the Dragon

---
I have no electronic map at this time, but we usually do a run to Franklin, NC that involves two GREAT twisty roads and a stop for lunch in Franklin or Robbinsville.
The drive ends with the option of heading back to the Lodge from Deal's Gap or continuing on thru the Dragon to it's and, and turning around and running it again, then back to the Lodge.

---
***NEW FROM THE FALL 2014 DRAGON***
"PIZZA'S SUNSET CRUISE"

(Inspired by IndyFire, who insisted that the Cherohala Skyway/Dragon run was not enough for one day.)

Pizzaguy came up with this one in a rare moment of true inspiration, but had IndyFire not talked to me, I'd never have thought of it.

This one is ONLY 20.6 miles long and we will use it as a "day ender" on Saturday evening. We start with a scenic and slow drive thru a mountaintop residential area, then we pick up the pace with a run up Pizza's favorite three-mile-long hill, and then a moderate pace down a road that is a favorite with many of our veterans: Hellbender.

Total time: Less than 45 minutes so you are back to the Lodge in time for dinner.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Administrator

***Possible Activities and Destinations***

The Alpine Coaster in Pigeon Forge

Originally Posted by AKING57
Here is our Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster ride, bit long but worth watching:

Then after the coaster ride a short drive to The Apple Barn for lunch and other wonderful goodies to go
http://www.applebarncidermill.com/

The Builtmore Estate
Click here for their website

The Lost Sea Adventure

We have never tried this, I had no idea how close it is. You go for a ride in a lost, underground lake in a glass bottom boat! I have been there twice, just had not realized how close it is to the Dragon.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-08-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

Mark,

I didn't think a Spring TOD was in the cards for me but, Crumpy wants to go. Put us on the list. One SRT6.
Keep in mind, many of the routes could be closed for winter but I'll look at a Wayah road package to Franklin or a run over to Dillsborro/Silva and Bogart's for lunch.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 10-06-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, add me!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Talking re: 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

Yes please......and thank you!

Lori- Fuquay Varina (Few-Kway Vah-reen-ah) NC

Last edited by MamaJean; 10-06-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be there with my Hubby, sorry I missed the fall meet
Mary

Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Administrator

If you can, edit your posts to tell me your name(s) and I will put them on the list.
ALSO, by telling me your CITY, (or modifying your profile here so it appears in your posts) - I will add that, too. It helps because many convoy together to these events, which is a good idea for a whole list of reasons!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yellow cars allowed?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 PM

Here I sit ON VACATION and sorry I missed the weekend! Lol.... But how serendipitous
Is it that we will be on vacation again the week of April 3rd?! That said, sign me up as a newbie
Tracy (driver) & Randy from Anderson SC in one Crossfire SRT6.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
yellow cars allowed?
Well, Yellow Gen Coupes are.

So......... I GUESS so!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Mark,
Ya better be bringing a bunny...lol

It's EASTER weekend
What better way to spend the holiday but with all your Crossfire friends

Add me to the list please

Valk - Illinois - (Gary)

Old 10-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Smile re: 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

You can sign me and Terry up. We already have our rooms reserved. We hate that we missed the Fall Dragon

Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Please put us on the list for Spring Dragon. Ron and Jenny Singer, Mount Union, Pa.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Go ahead and mark me down. Dustin out of Lebanon Va

Old 10-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 8th Annual Spring 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
****This thread under construction but feel free to post your attendance. I'd like to get your name(s) as well as City and State as well.****

Come to the 7th Annual Spring 2014 CROSSFIRE

"Tail of the Dragon"
GTG
April 3,4,5 - 2015
(Low room rates available from March 30 to April 8th - so come early and stay late!)

Once again, your event coordinator will be the fearless and often ticketed Pizzaguy. THIS TIME, maybe I will actually attend and NOT end up in the hospital.

Please post in this thread if you will be attending and I'll put you on the list in post #2

Please give me your name(s) and if you are bringing more than one Crossfire - each CAR gets an entry in the list!

This is also the thread to ask any questions about the event. This get-together (GTG) is for drivers of all skill levels and driving interests. Route leaders will be taking small groups (up to 14 cars) on routes and runs that vary from a relaxing drive in the mountains, to those that might make some passengers (and even DRIVERS) a little queasy.

Enjoy the accommodations at the Fontana Lodge Resort in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina.
Enjoy meeting other members and some incredible driving in groups around the Smokey Mountains.

Fontana Village Resort. A Great Smoky Mountain Destination!
^^^That line is a link^^^
in the Mountains of North Carolina
(off HWY 28 just 9 miles south of the Dragon's South end)

Mapquest Link

Set your GPS to:
300 Woods Rd.
Fontana Dam, NC
This should bring you directly to the Fontana Lodge

Room reservations are now being accepted !!

Just call (800) 849-2258 and ask for the reservations desk.
Tell them your booking with the "Chrysler Crossfire Group" to be certain to get our group rate.
Our discounted lodge rates are $84.00 (with Our Crossfire Group discount)

PET RULES AT FONTANA LODGE
$150 non refundable pet deposit for Lodge rooms.
This has been a strict policy for 5 years now and has been implemented by the owners of the property
We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause some of our members and Gary tried to negotiate but was unsuccessful.
There may be cabins available that are pet-friendly, but availability is limited and the price won't be $84.00 a night.

The lodge also operates a campground less than three miles from the lodge - call the lodge or click the link above the picture of the pool (above) for details.

Cancellation Policy
Reservations canceled more than 30 days in advance of arrival are subject to a $50.00 cancellation fee which will be retained from the deposit.
Reservations canceled within less than 30 days of arrival will forfeit the full deposit.
Please be aware that reservations that are shortened within the 30 day time frame will be charged for any days dropped.
This is their official policy, but they have been known to be forgiving and flexible with a group as large as ours.

IF YOU MUST CANCEL AT THE LAST MINUTE:
Please keep in mind that we always have last-minute attendees looking for a place to stay (and the lodge WILL be booked as we near the first of April). If you must cancel, announce it in this thread so that those who want to go can 'buy' your room from you! Once they paypal you (or whatever) you can call the lodge and ask them to give your room to the other guest.

****IN ROOM COFFEE !****
Some of you were a bit disappopinted that there was no in-room coffee - that has been addressed. As I left the lodge after the Fall 2014 Dragon, I signed the contract for this meet. My contact told me that all rooms "should have coffee makers in them" as free coffee in the lobby is a thing of the past. They made the change due to customer complaints!

The VW R32s and the Genesis coupes will be there that weekend as well - get a room while they are easy to book!

Charlie & Marilyn will attend / Kennesaw, GA

Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by saranomie
Please, add me!!!!!!
Sara>>> such a pleasure to meet a wonderful person that is "into" the Crossfire...I thinks it's so cool to have the ladies' input...see you in the Spring...Carl

Old 10-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Mark: First and foremost, it was a pleasure to see you again...you looked very well and robust...glad to see such a wonderful recovery... Yes. Add me to the Spring Meet for sure...Carl

Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Default Re: 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, Yellow Gen Coupes are.

So......... I GUESS so!
bummer. i don't own a gen coupe

Quick Reply: 8th Annual SPRING 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-April 3, 4, 5 - 2015