Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Potential new guy

Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new guy

Hello everyone:

I currently have a 1999 BMW Z3 2.8 roadster with 36,000 miles. I am looking for a slightly larger convertible to move to. The looks of the Xfire really appeals to me.

I am currently looking at 2005 Xfire Limited roadsters and I have noticed something that is potentially troubling to me.

I am seeing several 2005 Limited roadsters on the market, (Atlanta, GA area) that have in the range of 6K to 10K miles on them. It makes me wonder if these are cars traded back in on something else because there were problems with them or could these be corp. executive cars, demos, etc.

Since I am new to the Xfire, I thought I would ask knowledgeable people about my concern.

Any thoughts or insights you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Potential new guy

reblu,

The Z3 is a nice car. The Xfire will definitely ride smoother. You could probably use the Xfire as a daily driver. I can't say why there are so many low mile units on the market other than an overall change in the market. Z4 sales are down for the past two years. Not because they are not nice cars, I think mainly because people are looking more at practicality than anything else. Sports cars are not exactly practical. BUT, they sure are fun.

I traded a '04 Z4 for my SRT6. The Z4 had about the same level of performance of your Z3 2.8 (mine was the 2.5). It was fine til I started going to track days and being embarrassed by rice rockets.

Got a killer deal on an SRT 6 and jumped on it. I gave up the roadster for a coupe (I missed the top down this spring) but the performance is unreal. If you get a chance, try an SRT6 roadster.

I am very detail oriented and the quality of the Xfire is absolutely tops. Check under the hood, look at the cable runs, interior fit and finish, door hinges, seals etc. It looks, feels and is very solid.

Good luck.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Forum Regular

I think the # of low mileage cars available is due to the nature of how they're being used. I would guess many of the Roadsters are 3rd cars and only used in the best weather. Mine is 14 months old and only has 2,800 miles on it. Its never seen rain and is rarely driven with the top up. Take advantage of the situation and treat yourself to a great car. I agree with what's been said above, I think the quality of the car and materials is superb and if Chrysler is giving them away at bargain basement prices, grab one. You won't regret it.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM

The Crossfire was a sales dud.* Supply and demand has driven the price down; it's a total buyer's market.

Mine is a daily driver, and I love it. Zero service issues at 15,000 city miles.If you can live without a spare tire, a compass,or a factory Sirius head, AND if you're under six feet tall, you'll dig it. Not as tossable as your Bimmer, but it glides in classic Mercedes style. Get used to conversations at gas pumps and restaurant parking lots; everybody has questions.

*of the few buyers looking for a $40k toy, all of them ended up w/ BMW, Porsche, or a Miata and a new patio.

Last edited by dobro; 06-06-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:19 PM

I agree with all the above, although Dobro's bluntness may scare off a potential buyer.

The Crossfire is a unique car. Performance, american design, Mercedes mechanicals and lots of stares. As good looking as a coupe as a convertible.

For whatever reason, the car has not been a commercial success. Perhaps as a result, many think that this car may eventually be a collector's item, especially the SRT's. I also agree that many people buying $40k two-seaters, are getting an extra car, explaining the low mileage cars out there. I bought mine slightly used as a Chrysler fleet car, with 2k miles on the odometer. Paid less than $30k - that's $18k off MSRP.

You're wise to take a look before you leap. However, we're talking cult car, not kit car. Go ahead and buy with confidence. Heck you can still get the extended warranty from Chrysler.

Best of luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 01:02 PM

To all of you that replied to this question:

Thanks for all the insight and opinion. I feel better about looking at an '05 roadster with 6-8K miles on it.

Reblu

Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Forum Regular

I've owned a Crossfire for about 3 weeks now, and I love it.
I sat in BMW Z3's & Z4's, and I would say they are slightly smaller on the inside, as well as trunk space.
I will agree with Dobro, you really need to be under 6 ft tall, I'm not and it's a tight fit, I can still get comfortable though.
There appears to be a great deal of valuable information on this site, and I'm assuming just as much in peoples heads which isn't mentioned here.
I'm already making a list to pick everybody's brains.
As Reblu said - thanks to all.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM

As a long time (since 1975) confirmed nothing but BMW owner (still have three cars and 14 motorcycles) I just spent my second full day with my new 2005 Crossfire SRT6 Roadster. Beats the BMW Z3 and Z4 all to Hell and back!

Much better acceleration, handles superbly in the rain - and that's all we've had in New Jersey since Tuesday night - and is finished in typical understated Teutonic simplicity.

The Aero Blue reminds me of the BMW Monza Blue, one of my favorite colors (teo of my BMW motorcycles are in that livery). The exterior styling is lean and aggressive; not fat and ugly like the banglized Z4.

So far, the only drawback I have found is the lack of a CD-Changer or DVD Navigation. But a simple trip to Crutchfield's will cure that. (Already spent several hundred $$$ at CTD-Germany for that and that.)

I still love my Bimmers, and I'll never get rid of my 1988 M6, but I'm glad to be a member of the Crossfire Community.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmeephd
As a long time (since 1975) confirmed nothing but BMW owner (still have three cars and 14 motorcycles) I just spent my second full day with my new 2005 Crossfire SRT6 Roadster. Beats the BMW Z3 and Z4 all to Hell and back!

Much better acceleration, handles superbly in the rain - and that's all we've had in New Jersey since Tuesday night - and is finished in typical understated Teutonic simplicity.

The Aero Blue reminds me of the BMW Monza Blue, one of my favorite colors (teo of my BMW motorcycles are in that livery). The exterior styling is lean and aggressive; not fat and ugly like the banglized Z4.

So far, the only drawback I have found is the lack of a CD-Changer or DVD Navigation. But a simple trip to Crutchfield's will cure that. (Already spent several hundred $$$ at CTD-Germany for that and that.)

I still love my Bimmers, and I'll never get rid of my 1988 M6, but I'm glad to be a member of the Crossfire Community.
WOW!! Talk about a glowing testimonial. I realize it's just one persons opinion, but "Dmeephd" sounds like he has the credentials (and the dream car & motorcycle garage) to back it up.
Thanks for your opinions. If that doesn't convince "Reblu" he's on the right track, nothing will.