Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Name calling with top down

Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name calling with top down

All to often I will be driving with the top down and I will here someone shout something like ***, gay car...etc...
I am not sure for the reason of this. I am guessing it is either jealousy or just because I am a bigger guy driving a small convertible and some people feel it is a girly car.
I get compliments too but it is usually from women.
Anyone have any experience with name calling with the top down??? What do you make of it?
Thanks
Josh

Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Name calling with top down

My vote goes towards jealousy.

Or dementia, as they surely aren't aware of the @ss-beating they could potentially receive, judging from your avatar. Perhaps the high door sills keep them from scoping that, not sure.

Regardless, ignore them. If you react, they win. Any man that feels the need to yell/curse/talk down to someone, unprovoked, is a weak man and has much bigger issues within. Rearranging his face will only land you and assault charge and make it worth his while. And this is coming from a fellow lifter/fighter

Instead, smile and know that fate will deal with folks like this. Ever read about those freak accidents involving a single car and a chunk of blue ice? Chances are he probably talked **** to a guy in a convertible in earlier days.

Smile, wave, and drive on.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
My vote goes towards jealousy.

Or dementia, as they surely aren't aware of the @ss-beating they could potentially receive, judging from your avatar. Perhaps the high door sills keep them from scoping that, not sure.

Regardless, ignore them. If you react, they win. Any man that feels the need to yell/curse/talk down to someone, unprovoked, is a weak man and has much bigger issues within. Rearranging his face will only land you and assault charge and make it worth his while. And this is coming from a fellow lifter/fighter

Instead, smile and know that fate will deal with folks like this. Ever read about those freak accidents involving a single car and a chunk of blue ice? Chances are he probably talked **** to a guy in a convertible in earlier days.

Smile, wave, and drive on.
I was leaning toward the jealousy part too. Come to think of it the last time I was called gay I was on a date with a nice looking lady... Hopefully I will continue to to keep my cool and wont end on the five oclock news. lol

Last edited by bigguns300zx; 01-20-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

I too would lean toward jealousy. Most of the time the first reaction when jealous is criticism. There is a guy here that drives a Toyota MR2 Spyder, and he is very built, works out constantly...I wonder if he gets the same? Different car obviously, but similar situation.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

When I went from the 300ZX to the Crossfire all of my male friends felt that the crossfire is more of a girls car, not quite sure why. Its not as bad as if it were a automatic Miata lol. I inquired to two other friends, both of which said that the Crossfire Roadster is gayer than the Crossfire Coupe. Not sure who decides these things or what makes one more gay but, meh.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 PM

^^^ That's funny. I mean, what's gayer?

Driving a wicked car with a nice lady under your arm,

--OR--

Driving a Corolla, getting jealous, and yelling -- trying to get the attention of another man in a sports car?

Case closed. Tell him not to get the red-palm while thinking about ya.

Oye... some folks.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
When I went from the 300ZX to the Crossfire all of my male friends felt that the crossfire is more of a girls car, not quite sure why. Its not as bad as if it were a automatic Miata lol. I inquired to two other friends, both of which said that the Crossfire Roadster is gayer than the Crossfire Coupe. Not sure who decides these things or what makes one more gay but, meh.
Yeah for some reason I never got called gay in the Z I used to have. Maybe cause that was just a t-tops??
Or maybe cause it was not quite as ostentatious of a car. Smaller wheels etc.. and therfore triggered less jealousy.
I wonder if I were in a convertible viper I would still trigger criticism??

Last edited by bigguns300zx; 01-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigguns300zx
I wonder if I were in a convertible viper I would still trigger criticism??
Methinks you would trigger car-doors in a mall parking lot. These cars are bad enough recipients of random acts of abuse/jealousy...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Methinks you would trigger car-doors in a mall parking lot. These cars are bad enough recipients of random acts of abuse/jealousy...
Jealousy is the most sincere form of flattery... But it sure as hell can suck being on the receiving end of it.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM

^^^ That's funny. I mean, what's gayer?

Driving a wicked car with a nice lady under your arm,

--OR--

Driving a Corolla, getting jealous, and yelling -- trying to get the attention of another man in a sports car?

Case closed. Tell him not to get the red-palm while thinking about ya.

Oye... some folks.

Good stuff

Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular

I find that generally people inside motor vehicles gain a false sense of security in which they can do things without retaliation. How soon they forget about stop lights and people with anger management problems, not to mention BJJ experience.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:11 PM

I think some one needs to build a shotgun rack for between the roll bars...

Last edited by SACETORNC; 01-20-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigguns, with arms like yours, they must be crazy yelling that out to you! LOL. I get razzed by a couple of co-workers once in a while about the "gay" or "girls" car remarks. I just tellem' if your as big as me, I can back it up and do as I please. I own many cars, old HD Panhead choppers, I don't see any of them riding a hardtail, suicide shift, kick only, back brake only choppers, must be because I'm "girly" I can get away with it. Those damn pannsies! Now you got me revved up!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by cross><hair
I find that generally people inside motor vehicles gain a false sense of security in which they can do things without retaliation. How soon they forget about stop lights and people with anger management problems, not to mention BJJ experience.
I keep forgetting that you're a fellow MMA'er. I trained BJJ under Cliff Fonseca, a Luis Palhares pupil. Muay-Thai was taught to me by Warren Grace, good friends with BJ Penn and Noguiera

Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Forum Regular

I keep forgetting that you're a fellow MMA'er. I trained BJJ under Cliff Fonseca, a Luis Palhares pupil. Muay-Thai was taught to me by Warren Grace, good friends with BJ Penn and Noguiera
Awesome stuff man. It's been many years since I've trained. If there was a good school around me that didn't charge astronomical fees I'd forgo the gym (weights) and JUST train in JJ. My problem was being affiliated with a "Rickson" school. They charge and arm & a leg because of the name.

I always wanted to train Muay Thai- it's by far the most vicious striking art. I had high hopes for Kit Cope but Florian broke his arm in his MMA debut if memory serves me correct.

PS Penn over Pierre, 2nd round, submission
PPS Did you get a chance to catch the first Affliction event. There's a second one coming up this saturday. Arlovski is taking on Fedor....god help him.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Wink Re: Name calling with top down

You might wanna lighten up on the eye-shadow. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 AM

Heckling? How odd. When I drove my BMW convertible around I only got praise. Most of the people driving 3-series convertibles are blondes, and I'm a chubby brown guy with glasses.

The only somewhat negative comments I ever got were in the Range Rover. Some drunk girl said to her boyfriend (who tried to get her to quiet down), while on the phone with someone, "I don't give a f*** what he thinks. Its just some rich guy in a Range Rover." I was minding my own business, topping off a tank of premium so I could head to Florida.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 AM

Never had any negative comments received while on the road..Perhaps due to midwest location...

Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Forum Regular

It's funny certain cars will evoke strange comments. I own a 1993 RX7TT, everyone that sees it always says nice car. I owned a 2000 Miata, everyone said it was a gay car. That's funny cause it never was attracted to other miatas! The Crossfire coupe and roadster I own have always received praise. You will always encounter people who are compelled to try and egg you along. I would just smile and say adios!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You think they are heckling you .... maybe they are hitting on you. I am convinced that when people yell that crap it because they see it in themselves. So you see that they are being rude, I see that they are cruising for dates!!! Maybe they want to be the hot blonde riding in the passenger seat. Don't worry about it. Just moon them with your fin as you speed away.

Quick Reply: Name calling with top down