Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Daytime running light's...confused

Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime running light's...confused

Took my 2005 in to have the daytime running lights activated (US vehicle that I imported into Canada). The guy at Canadian Tire tells me that he can put the "aftermarket module" in for around $100, do the inspection and off to get a license I go. However he says the Chrysler dealer can "flash" the computer and get the lights to activate without me putting an aftermarket module on.He says the after market module literally splices into the car's electrical system and I was not keen on doing that. So, I take it to the Chrysler dealer.They tell me they cannot "flash" the computer and it needs an aftermarket module.I say OK, you have the car now ,go ahead and put it in. Guess how much....$585!! I said hold on, Canadian Tire will do it for $100, how can your module be almost $600? She says, there is no guarantee the Canadian Tire module will work. Hell, it could fail 5 times for the price of yours.

Anyway, I am going to have the Canadian Tire guys throw one in as I need to take the car there for the government required inspection anyway. Is there any issues with letting them splice into the electrical system of the car to add this module.I have no idea why this bothers me, but it just seems rinky dink. For the record, I called the Mercedes dealership and they said they have never seen a Crossfire come through looking for running lights. Someone told me Mercedes could do it for sure,but they said no?

Should I have Canadian Tire do it or is this a risk at all?

Tommy

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Default Re: Daytime running light's..confused

For that price I would just turn my headlights on.....( but hey, I'm Scottish)

Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 586 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Canuck
Took my 2005 in to have the daytime running lights activated (US vehicle that I imported into Canada). The guy at Canadian Tire tells me that he can put the "aftermarket module" in for around $100, do the inspection and off to get a license I go. However he says the Chrysler dealer can "flash" the computer and get the lights to activate without me putting an aftermarket module on.He says the after market module literally splices into the car's electrical system and I was not keen on doing that. So, I take it to the Chrysler dealer.They tell me they cannot "flash" the computer and it needs an aftermarket module.I say OK, you have the car now ,go ahead and put it in. Guess how much....$585!! I said hold on, Canadian Tire will do it for $100, how can your module be almost $600? She says, there is no guarantee the Canadian Tire module will work. Hell, it could fail 5 times for the price of yours.

Anyway, I am going to have the Canadian Tire guys throw one in as I need to take the car there for the government required inspection anyway. Is there any issues with letting them splice into the electrical system of the car to add this module.I have no idea why this bothers me, but it just seems rinky dink. For the record, I called the Mercedes dealership and they said they have never seen a Crossfire come through looking for running lights. Someone told me Mercedes could do it for sure,but they said no?

Tommy
Yes. I recall someone else had this done, the part cost $30, so $100 including labor is good. Evidently the light switch is different on the Canadian cars and they cost lots of money.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Tommy,
Chrysler is correct. I paid the big bucks for mine. But, you can get CT to do it on the cheap. Give it a go.
Brian.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Hey Tommy

Imported mine last year. I read on here about reprogramming the computer also and learned the hard way that it was not true and I also needed the module. Had mine done at the CT and he was able to wire what ever light I wanted to have on for the running lights ( wired the top corner lights ) . The only resulting problem is that the light out light, on the dash stays on.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All they(not Chrysler) do is install a relay so that it activates with the ignition. The relay contacts are then wired to apply battery to the low beams thru a fuse. That is called a Day Time Running Light Kit. However, Chrysler has to install a different Headlight switch/fuse panel, and do some re-programming (big bucks). I recently did DTRL's with out a relay for less than $10, and have been meaning to post some instructions, but just no time right now. I did it to see if it helps keep the headlights from fogging up. So, far I think it is helping. Time will tell?

Last edited by corfire; 05-21-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Canuck
Took my 2005 in to have the daytime running lights activated (US vehicle that I imported into Canada). The guy at Canadian Tire tells me that he can put the " module" in for around $100, do the inspection and off to get a license I go. However he says the Chrysler dealer can "flash" the computer and get the lights to activate without me putting an aftermarket module on.He says the after market module literally splices into the car's electrical system and I was not keen on doing that. So, I take it to the Chrysler dealer.They tell me they cannot "flash" the computer and it needs an aftermarket car parts module.I say OK, you have the car now ,go ahead and put it in. Guess how much....$585!! I said hold on, Canadian Tire will do it for $100, how can your module be almost $600? She says, there is no guarantee the Canadian Tire module will work. Hell, it could fail 5 times for the price of yours.

Tommy
I agree. I think it's cheaper if the CT will do the pleasure. Anyways, how's you ride doing right about now? Where did you manage to fix that issue?

Last edited by zacknolden; 05-25-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 PM

ask CT to put a fuse on the line for running ligh.so you can remove the fuse at any time if you want to.
In Ontario you do not require daytime running lights its on federal government that requires them. I had CT put a fuse in.......label Good Luck

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by corfire
All they(not Chrysler) do is install a relay so that it activates with the ignition. The relay contacts are then wired to apply battery to the low beams thru a fuse. That is called a Day Time Running Light Kit. However, Chrysler has to install a different Headlight switch/fuse panel, and do some re-programming (big bucks). I recently did DTRL's with out a relay for less than $10, and have be meaning to post some instructions, but just no time right now. I did it to see if it helps keep the headlights from fogging up. So, far I think it is helping. Time will tell?
I would be interested in learning exactly how you did this and if you've encountered any electrical/electronics problems by shunting the car's brains with this simple approach.

Please follow up. Thanks.

Last edited by dwightdmagee; 05-20-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 AM
Forum Regular

HI All

So could you have a set of Angel / Halo eyes fitted & use them on a new switch etc ????

Cheers

Andy

Old 05-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kelsey
ask CT to put a fuse on the line for running ligh.so you can remove the fuse at any time if you want to.
In Ontario you do not require daytime running lights its on federal government that requires them. I had CT put a fuse in.......label Good Luck
If the Federal government wants lights then their rules are country wide, if what you say is true then why should I pay Federal taxes as I live in Ontario?
Police in Ontario can and do stop people without DTRL's they uphold Federal and Provincial laws.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bagpiper
For that price I would just turn my headlights on.....( but hey, I'm Scottish)

Thats f'n funny!! and a good point.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Default Re: Daytime running light's...confused

Just let CT do what they do to okay the car. Once you're through the RIV crap, who cares if the DTL works or not. Whatever they do won't damage the car's electrical or anything. The cheaper the better.

DTL sucks. Biggest pain in the *** with importing my Dream Cruiser. Wasn't expensive or anything, but there's a good five second delay with the lights shutting off now, so I get to hear the ding-ding-ding warning every time I get out of the car. Doesn't sound like much, but it's one of those little things that is really annoying.

I've never found the DTL to make any difference with fogging headlights, either. I've got a fairly bad problem with the left lens and now am having more problems with the right as I'm washing the car a couple times a week or so.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 AM

But I'll also say that this is one of the reasons I didn't import a Crossfire. Seemed like too many possible problems to cost me more cash and kill any savings buying in the US. With the dollar, the stupid taxes here, the possibility of having to pay state tax where the car would be bought, and things like the headlight DTL unit and the chance that Customs would charge duty because the car says it is made in Germany (I know what the VIN says, but all it would take is for a Customs agent to inspect the car and spot this for them to ding me), I chose to buy in Ontario.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Toddy
Just let CT do what they do to okay the car. Once you're through the RIV crap, who cares if the DTL works or not. Whatever they do won't damage the car's electrical or anything. The cheaper the better.

DTL sucks. Biggest pain in the *** with importing my Dream Cruiser. Wasn't expensive or anything, but there's a good five second delay with the lights shutting off now, so I get to hear the ding-ding-ding warning every time I get out of the car. Doesn't sound like much, but it's one of those little things that is really annoying.

I've never found the DTL to make any difference with fogging headlights, either. I've got a fairly bad problem with the left lens and now am having more problems with the right as I'm washing the car a couple times a week or so.
Severe fogging in the lens is due to leakage of water through the seam. This can be fixed, after drying out the lens, with silicone caulking. I think that DTRL's prevent the minor misting due to humid conditions.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by corfire
All they(not Chrysler) do is install a relay so that it activates with the ignition. The relay contacts are then wired to apply battery to the low beams thru a fuse. That is called a Day Time Running Light Kit. However, Chrysler has to install a different Headlight switch/fuse panel, and do some re-programming (big bucks). I recently did DTRL's with out a relay for less than $10, and have been meaning to post some instructions, but just no time right now. I did it to see if it helps keep the headlights from fogging up. So, far I think it is helping. Time will tell?
I'd love to hear how you did this mod for $10!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You guys in Canada stop whining. The poor ******* in the UK have to move the whole steering wheel and pedals to the other side of the car.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Most of the time the fog is due to the vent tubes missing. They can fall off or even get knocked off while cleaning the engine compartment. With the 90 degree tubes missing, water runs down the inner lip of the top of the fender, directly into the light housings.

James

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Severe fogging in the lens is due to leakage of water through the seam. This can be fixed, after drying out the lens, with silicone caulking. I think that DTRL's prevent the minor misting due to humid conditions.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 604Cash
I don't know about ten bucks, but there are a number of cheap kits on the market to easily convert your lights to DRL's. Google away.

I bought one for $35 and hooked up my fogs to shine anytime the key is 'ON'. It simply connects to a keyed fuse (I used the radio fuse), to the battery and the fog light wiring. Simple. Takes about an hour to rig up.

The fog lights look great and at least it helps the old ladies to see this tiny little car.

Last edited by dwightdmagee; 09-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 604Cash
I'll try to get back with this info soon, with a few pics. The car is not with me right now. Basically, I jumpered between some fuse points and added a fuse in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash. It turns on the low beams with the ignition. Been that way since early spring with now problems, and seems to be keeping the headlights dry.