Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

roadster rear window stick-up

Old 06-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy roadster rear window stick-up

has anyone had success with 3M Super weatherstrip adhesive to reattach the rear window on the roadster. The convertible repair shop claims nothing will work and a new top is necessary. '05 has 27000 miles and is garaged to avoid Florida weather. Chrysler dealer says " good luck"
scubaman

Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Default Re: roadster rear window stick-up

Scuba .... I believe what your top guy is correct. I and many others have tried various methods from duct tape to epoxy and nothing works that I know. I had a plastic window sewn in almost a year ago and am still satisfied. The work was done by an upholsterer. See my posts with pics on this forum.

Good Luck

Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Forgot to mention am in South Florida and car is garaged. My opinion is stay away from Chrysler they don't have any idea about our cars. But that is from my experience only. I get a lot more info and knowledge right here on the forum.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM

thanx for the quick reply...just as iI feared. did you have the plastic window sewed in permenantly or does it unzip? scubaman

Old 06-14-2009, 02:38 PM

I've been reading about this window separation for some time now and I'm wondering why this is happening- do you think that it might be the result of some type of reaction to the adhesive if a water repellant has been used on the top ? So far mine is tight and looks OK but if all the others are doing it, mine might too. Would a replacement top be covered in the factory warranty?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM

I had the window sewn in permanently. Zipper probably would have been a good idea as the upholsterer would not have to remove the entire top again for re installation. The only drawback I can see with that is that it might limit already compromised rear vision. When the time comes I'll look into that but so far so good the window is crystal clear. I think this whole mess is a result of the heat here in FL. Even though garaged at home, when parked in the blazing sun elsewhere, I feel the heat welding just lets go over time.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the top up on many occasions, but I have noticed that the rear window "PULSE'S" when I open the drivers window, the change in pressure definatly has an effect on the rear glass, and could be the main cause of failure

Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My guess is the adhesive Karmann used for the rear window was adequate for the highest temps in Germany but not meant to take the heat in southern USA. They should have known better since they've built other rag top cars for the states.

I wonder if the problem is specific to particular year(s) as my '05 has not had the problem...yet.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM

I live in South Carolina near Savannah and have not had the problem either (yet)

Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 AM

I appreciate the comments and speculation. Ray's Trim and Upholstery in Miami advertises that he makes this repair (takes 2 days and costs $550) but I would hate to have the repair done and have to redo it again down the road. Anyway I'll contact Ray's and see how long they warrantee the repair for...otherwise a sewed in plastic window makes more sense.
scubaman

Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think it has a lot to do with driving with the top up and the windows down. There is too much wind buffering on that rear window for that. I have a few friends with other rag tops - all the ones with back window issues are the ones that drive around with the windows down. My car has 2 modes - top up, windows up or top down, windows down. The bad news is that once it starts to go it seems to just be a matter of time. I don't think it has anything to do with who made our car, its just part of having a rag top with a glass rear window.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 PM

I was at the convert top shop today to meet with the top and glass guru and there was another Crossfire there for the same purpose. The guru's opinion was a combination of the heat and the weight of the glass and any other impediment can cause the separation. The shop had another Crossfire in temp storage waiting for a new top. I am hot into research since I dont want to invest in a fix using the same technology that created the problem, I am going to meet with Tom at Classic Auto Interiors in Tampa so I can check out the quality of his shop work. In a conversation with him today by phone he said he would build me a top with the window enclosed in a pocket so this problem would not reoccur, It sounds reasonable to me and if his work looks good I'll probably go this way..when I get more info I'll post it.
scubaman.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 AM

I have an appointment to have a new top made next week at Classic Auto Interiors in Tampa. Rear window installed in a pocket, NOT glued in. Now my big decision is BLACK or Tan...my Crossfire is silver blue. I'll have till next Monday to agonize over this.
scubaman

Old 06-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are two places I have heard about, BLH has repaired several and I understand they hold up fine. GAHH tells me they will be making tops for the XF in September. I hope this helps.

BLH CUSTOM AUTO TRIM & GLASS 730 S Jupiter RD Garland,TX 75042 (972) 272-3805

GAHH Automotive 11128 Gault St.
North Hollywood CA 91605
800-722-2292
GAHH: Convertible Tops, Auto Interiors, Quality Convertible Tops

Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Like KimPossible, my top is down most of the time (XF is garaged and covered). Probably the only time it is up if I am caught in the rain or when I store it for the winter. So far 32k miles and everything looks like new (except a TPM).

Just thinking outside the box, has anyone taken it to a M-B dealer, assuming they have glass in their 320/350 SLKs? Maybe they have a solution?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scubaman
I have an appointment to have a new top made next week at Classic Auto Interiors in Tampa. Rear window installed in a pocket, NOT glued in. Now my big decision is BLACK or Tan...my Crossfire is silver blue. I'll have till next Monday to agonize over this.
scubaman
Scubaman,
How much will the new top cost?

Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Smile Re: roadster rear window stick-up

thurs, 6-25, 09

Got my Crossfire back today from CLASSIC AUTO INTERIORS in Tampa with a new top (tan) and the rear glass enclosed in a material pocket. the car looks great (in my opinion) with a light color top and it seems to be a better color for Florida. Total price, including an application of MoppTopp and interior left and right pads came to $1287. I am happy. New top, new tires...do I smell a road trip to cooler weather!
scubaman

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures please!!

Mine still looks in very good shape, but the OK sun gets very hot...just planning for the future.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 AM
svo
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scubaman
thurs, 6-25, 09

Got my Crossfire back today from CLASSIC AUTO INTERIORS in Tampa with a new top (tan) and the rear glass enclosed in a material pocket. the car looks great (in my opinion) with a light color top and it seems to be a better color for Florida. Total price, including an application of MoppTopp and interior left and right pads came to $1287. I am happy. New top, new tires...do I smell a road trip to cooler weather!
scubaman
Pics Please!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OKC-XFR
Pictures please!!

Mine still looks in very good shape, but the OK sun gets very hot...just planning for the future.
Definitely need pics cause I live about an 1.5 hours away from Tampa and could easily afford the $1,200 if I knew it would eliminate my woes about having duct tape propping up my window and not having water come in.

Plus they should have retained a template for the top so it wont take that much time

Last edited by GatorLCA; 06-26-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: roadster rear window stick-up