Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

roadster rear window stick-up

Old 07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: roadster rear window stick-up

Thanks fo the tips. I live in Tampa and have printed the info for posterity in case my '08 needs a new top. In the past Ernie's Auto Upholstery replaced a couple of tops on my '70 Cutlass, but the last one was too tight and ripped. I will keep Classic Auto at the top of my list.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Default Re: roadster rear window stick-up

Originally Posted by tighed1
Wow! Must be summer time with all of these posts about glass coming out of the tops!
Found out that my glass was separating also. So far I have...
  • Moved my PRETTY 65 Chevelle SS out of the garage (sorry Baby) so I can put the Roadster in.
  • Bought a car cover so I can cover the car while it is outside at work.
  • Repaired the top with 3M Window-Weld (08609). So far so good!
We are in our monsoon season now so I will probably drive other cars until I am sure I will not get caught in the rain.
I am going to try this 3M stuff tomorrow. I picked it up today along with a headlight restoring kit. The headlight stuff was the bomb, and I have New looking lenses after only 30 minutes of work. Is your repair still holding up? I want to get the new top with the 350Z glass in the pocket, but my gosh, it is all so expensive!!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevefromtyler
...I am going to try this 3M stuff tomorrow... Is your repair still holding up?...
Yep! Been three weeks so far. Looks like new! Top goes up and down everyday. Holding up GREAT!

Did a sort of How-To on this thread https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/35371-roadster-rear-window-problem.html#post396080

Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Yep! Been three weeks so far. Looks like new! Top goes up and down everyday. Holding up GREAT!

Did a sort of How-To on this thread https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-roadster/35371-roadster-rear-window-problem.html#post396080

Just finished about an hour ago, and I was real thorough in the prep, and though the stuff is hard to keep from sticking to everything, managed to get it on all areas of window without a mess on the canvas or car. It does seem to be the ticket, and the nature of this stuff being somewhat flexible, makes it removable if another repair is necessary down the line. I will let everyone know if my repair is successful down the line. Thanks for the great post on this repair. STEVE T

Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Hey Steve,
Your repair looks EXACTLY like mine!
Good work!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Hey - I have an 05 roadster, garaged with the same mileage as you and my window peeled off the top last week; I've also been told that only the OEM has equipment to install the window and a whole new top will be required. If I don't find a better solution, I'm tempted to have a marine top manufacturer sew in a zipper with eisenglas in it; it's not like I use the defroster in the rear window much down here.
Kristin

Old 07-19-2009, 06:22 PM

My top has been tested since the repair, and lowering and raising didn't pull it loose. I am going to drive the G35 to work or use my truck this week, and won't be driving thru august due to shoulder tendon repair on Friday. I hope by the time I can shift gears that it isn't so hot, or I may just garage for the rest of the heat and use other vehicles. I think the design is crap, not having a pocket for the window to rest in is ignorant engineering, and I don't design tops!! The people that do should get it together, and that goes for all manufacturers. Some are OK, but this problem is just one of many that the auto industry dropped the ball on. I still love my roadster, but will be getting the aftermarket pocket mounted 350Z windowed top next year. Will let y'all know how long the fix lasts.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 PM

I have applied one coat of black silicone adhesive I purchased at Advance auto parts. It will need another coat since the lip around the edge had curled outward. It looks kinda crappy right now, but a little trimming after the next coat should make it look OK. The one coat seems to be holding very well. I guess this would be considered a temporary repair unless the adhesive is a better quality than the OEM stuff (why not?).

Art

Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 AM

If you just used standard black silicone you are going to be dissapointed. Use the good stuff, 3M Window-Weld (08609). Did my repair a month ago and it is still holding perfect.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem seems to be in SW florida especially. My folks called me yesterday, they arrived back at the airport after a few day trip and the rear window of the XF was sitting on the rear ledge 90% disconnected. I was wondering if enough people would be interested to where we can approach this shop in tampa who has already done one with great success and minimal expense to see if we can organize a group buy. I am sure there is significant interest with the amount of people who would need, coupled with the fact that factory tops are 2x as expensive, limited availability, and are more than likely prone to the same problem. Anyone interested?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM

I used Permatex part #81158 black silicone adhesive sealant. It is different than the 3M Window Weld part #08609 which is a urethane sealant. 3M recommends their product is used to seal primered (3M product) glass to painted car bodies Also they recommend that the orig. sealer not be totally removed(!). Permatex claims their product secures windshields, vinyl tops, metal etc.. I have used Permatex products nearly 50 years with satisfaction. I used what I could find. I came across the Crossfire forum after my repair had been completed.

Art Rigsby

Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scubaman
I have an appointment to have a new top made next week at Classic Auto Interiors in Tampa. Rear window installed in a pocket, NOT glued in. Now my big decision is BLACK or Tan...my Crossfire is silver blue. I'll have till next Monday to agonize over this.
scubaman
Not sure what your man's limitations are (were), but if anybody is considering having a top made, the choice of colors should be fairly dramatic. I once had a white Grand Torino and put a powder blue top on it. Gorgeous. I bet the SSB Crossfire would be striking with a coordinated blue top.

Somebody on the site has a pic of a black Crossfire done out in brown leather.

Last edited by dwightdmagee; 07-27-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM

I believe it is FP who likes to post the leather convertible top pick, but I bet if he got one, it would be orange LOL

He could probably pull it off too hahaha

Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 PM

i'm actually dropping my car off at Classic Interiors in Tampa tomorrow. The price has gone up a little bit due to material cost of the top. They wanted $1475+ tax but since I told him of the positive responses from this forum he dropped the price to $1275+tax.

They are also documenting all of the cars that come into the shop so they can possibly submit enough paperwork to Chrysler and maybe we could get a reimbursement or a recall notice for this issue (and maybe they would do the work or sell a kit). Either way, it's a step in the right direction for some bad engineering

Anyway, I'm getting a black top so I'll post pics once I get the car back which will be Monday or Tuesday of next week

Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Last year after I got my car I was in Casper Wyoming on vacation and took my roadster through a car wash. It was a manual wash and when I got done there was water on my rear dash. It looked like it came in from around the rear window, but it hasn't leaked since and I can't find any gaps. The temperatures were in the low 60s. Not sure what was up with this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also if I had to replace my top I would think about doing a gun metal grey or scarlet red.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by LNRDR
Last year after I got my car I was in Casper Wyoming on vacation and took my roadster through a car wash. It was a manual wash and when I got done there was water on my rear dash. It looked like it came in from around the rear window, but it hasn't leaked since and I can't find any gaps. The temperatures were in the low 60s. Not sure what was up with this. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also if I had to replace my top I would think about doing a gun metal grey or scarlet red.
Coule the pressure from the hose have hit it at the correct angle and forced some water through the pressure seal of the top??

Old 08-10-2009, 12:38 PM

yes 3m does make a window glue that works great it comes in a caulking tube but is smaller than the normal size but it is worth the cost $19.00 for glue and $20.00 for gun. good luck!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scubaman
7-6-09
here are the crossfire convertible top pics
I am not a fan of tan tops but they did do a very good job for you.

I hope that everyone reading this thread has a pop-topp cover. IT is the only thing that you can use for protecting your top.

The heat is the primary culprit. Wind buffeting is not a real issue. The fact that these tops are black, the are like a heat seeking sensor and the cars really heat up in the southern sun.

The poptopp cover keeps em cool and eliminates direct heat on the adhesive.

At least there is an alternative if your top fails but this would never make me get rid of my roadster! These challenges go with all roadsters unless you have a sewn in like the ones on the likes of those laborghinis, but then you would have paid for a new top 100 times over! LOL!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

wow....I'd better go look at my roadster....may want to go topless all the time...tighed1 and Lark's idea sounds like the cheaper fix....off to look at my rear window...

Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 PM

My repair with 3M window weld is holding up in the 100 degree TX heat after 1 month. I think that even if I had to fix every 6 months, I would forego the new top option. I will post if it comes loose. After all, I only had to repair 1/3 of the glass, so I expect the OEM glue to fail on the rest soon.

Quick Reply: roadster rear window stick-up