Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

roadster rear window stick-up

Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: roadster rear window stick-up

Originally Posted by scubaman
thurs, 6-25, 09

Got my Crossfire back today from CLASSIC AUTO INTERIORS in Tampa with a new top (tan) and the rear glass enclosed in a material pocket. the car looks great (in my opinion) with a light color top and it seems to be a better color for Florida. Total price, including an application of MoppTopp and interior left and right pads came to $1287. I am happy. New top, new tires...do I smell a road trip to cooler weather!
scubaman
Still would like to see some pictures.....

Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

has anyone had success with 3M Super weatherstrip adhesive to reattach the rear window on the roadster. The convertible repair shop claims nothing will work and a new top is necessary. '05 has 27000 miles and is garaged to avoid Florida weather. Chrysler dealer says " good luck"
scubaman
Wow! Must be summer time with all of these posts about glass coming out of the tops!
Found out that my glass was separating also. So far I have...
  • Moved my PRETTY 65 Chevelle SS out of the garage (sorry Baby) so I can put the Roadster in.
  • Bought a car cover so I can cover the car while it is outside at work.
  • Repaired the top with 3M Window-Weld (08609). So far so good!
We are in our monsoon season now so I will probably drive other cars until I am sure I will not get caught in the rain.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: roadster rear window stick-up

7-2-09
I will try to get pics of the new convertible top posted as soon as possible.
scubaman

Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was wondering if something besides our intense FL heat could be the culprit. Does everyone drive with their top up & windows down? I have a lot of friends with roadsters here & every single one that has rear window issues does that. I don't roll my windows down with the top up, but if I have to roll the window down I notice a LOT of rear window vibration. Could this be an issue across the board? My parents always told me not to drive top up - windows down in a roadster for this reason & I trusted them because they know cars. Is this a wives tale or maybe something???

Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Life is random...so am I.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Kim......I think it's something besides the sun and heat that's causing the problem.

The reason I say this is there's photo evidence that Karmann did extensive climate testing on the operation and structure of our convertible tops. A member from a long time back (REDCROSS) had Karmann send him a bunch of pictures which he promptly put up on Flickr, and linked to the forum.

Karmann Factory - a set on Flickr

Granted....this is just cold weather testing, but 2 things to keep in mind. 1. It's standard operation for auto manufacturers to test cars in both extremes (hot and cold) to a degree that they think the car will never see, (Behr has a testing facility that goes from -22f to over 120f in a couple hours just a few miles from here. Very impressive to see!). 2. The lack of a "hot" photo is nothing to be speculating on....you can see ice on the car, it's hard to show "heat" in a picture. These are press photo's after all, and are just meant to promote what they can do.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 AM

It's the moisture...if you're in AZ where it's hotter than hell, you still have dry air. The only way the adhesive will fail is if it cracks. However in FL, we have near the same temperatures (our heat index has been over 100 the last couple weeks) but also high levels of humidity. That humidity might make the adhesive "gummy" which coupled ith the weight of the glass and the stress points around the corners of the glass when the top is down, could lead to the failures

granted this is all speculation but my $.02

Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 PM

Used the 3 M adhesive last Feb. and so far it is holding. Have not put the top down since the repair so I don't know what to expect when I Do. Was out in the rain today - will check tomorrow. Ken

Old 07-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Primary cause? Top up, windows down. It's called "Cowl Shake" and I learned about this with the C4 Vette. With the Targa top removed and windows up, a resonant or vibrating air pressure would shake the interior to pieces.

I noticed this with the XF right away and will NOT drive even secondary roads with the windows down unless the top is down also.

Having said that, having a heavy glass window simply glued to the top is not the best idea either.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 PM

7-6-09
here are the crossfire convertible top pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010004.JPG (770.4 KB, 127 views)
P1010005.JPG (804.4 KB, 139 views)
P1010006.JPG (824.9 KB, 84 views)
P1010007.JPG (868.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

A really nice looking top, thanks for the pics. Were they able to reused you original back window?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Wow, the tan color was a great choice, it looks great on your car. Now you have a one of a kind Crossfire, get out there and drive, drive, drive.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Smile Re: roadster rear window stick-up

7-7-09

At this point I am completely pleased with my new top and the color gives the car a "lightness" that the black top did not. Driving in the Florida monsoon there were no leaks and the ragg top treatment sheds water like a duck.
The original rear window was used in the new top but each new top is made for the car so there is no pattern. Typical turn-around time is 2-3 days. Colors can be black, tan, and midnight blue.
The name of the shop is Classic Auto Interiors in Tampa and the person to talk to is Tom. 800-473-4567
I have no connection to this business...I selected them after some research and some phone calls and a visit to the shop to see their work.
scubaman

Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Driving in the Florida monsoon there were no leaks and the ragg top treatment sheds water like a duck.
What are folks using (top treatment)?
Guess I gotta get some now that I have the roadster.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by tighed1
What are folks using (top treatment)?
Guess I gotta get some now that I have the roadster.
I use Raggtopp.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard and it works great. I have also used Raggtopp on my cars in the past and believe the two products are very much alike, I am using 303 because I can buy it in a store near my house. I hope this helps.

303: 303 Products: High Tech Fabric Guard

Raggtopp: The Haartz Corporation - Cloth Top Cleaning Guide

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM

7-6-09
here are the crossfire convertible top pics
Thanks for posting the pictures. LOOKS GREAT!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Nice work on the top...definitely doing this instead of trying to adhese it back on, wonder if I can get dark gray for a fabric

Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Looks great and I bet you have the only crossfire with a tan top.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PAULW
I use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard and it works great. I have also used Raggtopp on my cars in the past and believe the two products are very much alike, I am using 303 because I can buy it in a store near my house. I hope this helps.

303: 303 Products: High Tech Fabric Guard
Ordered some.
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 PM

7-7-09

At this point I am completely pleased with my new top and the color gives the car a "lightness" that the black top did not. Driving in the Florida monsoon there were no leaks and the ragg top treatment sheds water like a duck.
The original rear window was used in the new top but each new top is made for the car so there is no pattern. Typical turn-around time is 2-3 days. Colors can be black, tan, and midnight blue.
The name of the shop is Classic Auto Interiors in Tampa and the person to talk to is Tom. 800-473-4567
I have no connection to this business...I selected them after some research and some phone calls and a visit to the shop to see their work.
scubaman
Hi Scubaman, the "pocket" they installed, was its main function to capture and support the glass? Or, to provide a way that the adhesive would surround the glass, inside and out? I'm just across the bay in Gulfport and opened the trunk yesterday and found it soaking wet. Further inspection revealed the back glass totally separated across the bottom edge. I sealed it with black windshield cement before I came across this forum this afternoon. I guess a top replacement is in the near future.........Art

Quick Reply: roadster rear window stick-up