Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Smoke from the engine --- Help

Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from the engine --- Help

Just needed to jump start the car as it was sitting for several weeks. After doing that, noticed smoke coming out from the engine on the drivers side of the car. Smoke was not pouring out, the amount of smoke was equal to about 2-3 lit cigarettes. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Smoke from the engine----Help

Did you see and check if there is any oil sitting somewhere or where exactly the smoke is coming from??

Old 08-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Default Re: Smoke from the engine----Help

Hi. Its coming from the engine block. Did not see sitting oil

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Smoke from the engine --- Help

Have you recently had any work done to the car, like an oil change?

If you can take a picture of the engine bay with the engine running, and the smoke coming out, we can probably tell you what the source is.

BC.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had this with our 2007 roadster and were told by the dealer it's somewhat common. It was the engine valve cover gasket and we were able to fix it under warranty. However it took 2 attempts. The first time the mechanic didn't do a very good job. We took it to another dealership who did a better job. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze17
Just needed to jump start the car as it was sitting for several weeks. After doing that, noticed smoke coming out from the engine on the drivers side of the car. Smoke was not pouring out, the amount of smoke was equal to about 2-3 lit cigarettes. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Remove the engine cover and look for oil on the valve covers or around the oil filler body.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless it is really bad, I would suggest leaving it alone. If the engine sits for a while a little smoke will come out when the engine heats up but will stop soon. You can't prevent it... it will leak a drop or two... it is going to happen if the engine sits. Anyone that got theirs fixed and it stopped leaking, more power to you. Chances are it will come back again. I personally would not let anyone touch the valve cover gaskets unless it was really bad and you can smell it inside the car.

My car sits for a few weeks at a time. I noticed just a little bit of smoke as you describe. I worried at first until I started to realize it was no big deal. You can't get the seal 100% tight and a few drops won't hurt anything. You could do more damage by having some kid at the dealership take the cover off. If they drop something in there or don't know what they are doing it could be a problem. If they put it on there it may stop leaking a few weeks and then start back up again worse than it was. To me it is not worth the risk. Some people here would say I was crazy and wrong.... but to me it is not worth the risk unless the leak was really bad or it was spilling on the floor of the garage.

Don't be so fast to run to the doctor with everything.... chances are you will have a different problem when you come home! I had bad experiences at the dealership so the less they touch my car, the better off my car is!

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 08-26-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a slight leak of the smal covers. Took the small covers off myself cleaned them well and used permatex black gasket maker and no more leaks - mine sometimes sits for weeks at a time and no smoke at all.

No way is smoke "normal" or should it be.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM

thanks everyone

Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GT6
I had a slight leak of the smal covers. Took the small covers off myself cleaned them well and used permatex black gasket maker and no more leaks - mine sometimes sits for weeks at a time and no smoke at all.

No way is smoke "normal" or should it be.
I agree. I had my re-breather covers re-sealed and there is NO WAY IN HEAVEN I would accept that "a little smoke is normal". Mine sits for weeks at a time too.

If it didn't smoke when they built it, it shouldn't smoke now.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Smoke is normal...

To the people who claim their cars are 100% smoke free.... I guarantee that if they let their car sit a month and started it, I would be able to show them the smoke. A couple of drops through the seal over a long period of time is going to happen.

For 5 years I didn't think my car smoked. One day I started it and checked under the hood. Sure enough there was a little smoke that I could see if the light was just right. I noticed it 6 months ago. I have driven the car many times since then and never saw any smoke. I know if I examined it real close I would probably find it.... but how **** should I be??? I am a pretty meticulous person and keep my car (and everything I own) spotless. When it comes to a little smoke that I can only see under close examination, I am not going to let it drive me crazy. And I am not going to waste my time having it fixed. I still have a warranty and I am more afraid of the dealership messing something else up on my car then a few drops of oil. I have been down this road with the dealerships many of times.... there is no way I am letting those fools touch my car unless there is a major problem! I don't even want them doing an inspection on my car!

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 08-27-2010 at 10:09 AM.