Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Faint (low volume) alarm under hood???

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint (low volume) alarm under hood???

Hello - I've searched the forum but have only found topics on the car alarm.
I have a 2007 Crossfire Roadster - no problems to date - and I love the car!
About two months ago I somehow left the trunk ajar and the trunk light drained the battery. Not totally, but enough so the car wouldn't start.
I slow charged the battery and the next day the car started and ran fine.
The next day the battery went dead again and I heard a faint high pitched alarm going off from under the hood.
About a year ago my mechanic (not a Chrysler dealer) took the battery terminals off, cleaned them, and sprayed this purple stuff to prevent corrosion. no problem with that, and the terminals still look clean and solid connections.
I've checked lights etc. and nothing seems to be on. It seems something may be draining the battery and it can take just a matter of days.
The battery is original, and just 36 months old - does the alarm thing indicate a problem, or something unrelated? I don't trust the Chrysler dealer (previous bad experience) so thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has had a similar experience or can offer any advice.
Thanks for any input!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Faint (low volume) alarm under hood???

Originally Posted by Camperdude
Hello - I've searched the forum but have only found topics on the car alarm.
I have a 2007 Crossfire Roadster - no problems to date - and I love the car!
About two months ago I somehow left the trunk ajar and the trunk light drained the battery. Not totally, but enough so the car wouldn't start.
I slow charged the battery and the next day the car started and ran fine.
The next day the battery went dead again and I heard a faint high pitched alarm going off from under the hood.
About a year ago my mechanic (not a Chrysler dealer) took the battery terminals off, cleaned them, and sprayed this purple stuff to prevent corrosion. no problem with that, and the terminals still look clean and solid connections.
I've checked lights etc. and nothing seems to be on. It seems something may be draining the battery and it can take just a matter of days.
The battery is original, and just 36 months old - does the alarm thing indicate a problem, or something unrelated? I don't trust the Chrysler dealer (previous bad experience) so thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has had a similar experience or can offer any advice.
Thanks for any input!
Check to see what the actual drain of the battery is. You can search for the method to do it.
Do you still have the whine? If not why. If yes what is it?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, once a battery drains to almost completion, or just flat out dies, it's never the same (even after bringing it back to life via a trickle charge).

This is especially true in cold weather climates, like where you are in the Northeast.

The cost of a new battery is relatively cheap, and should be considered as a no-brainer.

From everything I read on this Forum, if the battery isn't right, and capable of holding a near full charge at full voltage, all kinds of strange crap will happen electrically.

And the last thing you want in the dead of winter is to stop for a cup of Joe, come back out to your car, and it won't start...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 01-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The knee-jerk reaction to every XF problem seems to be "replace the battery". I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree. My roadster is original battery, stored with a float charger the last 3 winters, and she runs great with no gremlins. My SRT6 appears to have a newer battery (I bought it used), but I have owned it three winters and store similarly. No problems. My A6, a 2003, is running the original battery after 182k miles.

That said, leaving the trunk slightly open will drain the battery. Been there, done that. However, a good battery should take and keep a full charge. So after it is fully re-charged via a trickle charger or driving, you need to find out if something is stuck on and draining the battery. A noise indicates something (alarm, pump, etc) is not shutting off and eventually will drain more juice than the little light in the trunk.

Last, if you have a concern about the health of your battery, take it to Autozone and have then test the alternator and battery. It is free, and I do this annually.