Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

top not working

Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top not working

gday, We have been a proud crossfire owner for about 3 months now. Its our dream car that we have wanted for a long time. Last weekend whilst putting the top up the motor sounded different, a sort of labouring sound. I t got into the stow position ok. When we arrived home the same labouring sound was there only this time it did not complete the cycle. I consulted the manual and put it the roof on manually. Now if I try it all I can hear is whirring sound from back somewhere that will only go for about 5 seconds or so. The switch has a red light flashing with no sound. I check the partition in boot and it seems ok and I disconnected the battery and charged it fully. I was wondering whether any one has an opinion before I take it to dealer( warranty expired). Thanks Dave.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: top not working

Originally Posted by valiant106737
gday, We have been a proud crossfire owner for about 3 months now. Its our dream car that we have wanted for a long time. Last weekend whilst putting the top up the motor sounded different, a sort of labouring sound. I t got into the stow position ok. When we arrived home the same labouring sound was there only this time it did not complete the cycle. I consulted the manual and put it the roof on manually. Now if I try it all I can hear is whirring sound from back somewhere that will only go for about 5 seconds or so. The switch has a red light flashing with no sound. I check the partition in boot and it seems ok and I disconnected the battery and charged it fully. I was wondering whether any one has an opinion before I take it to dealer( warranty expired). Thanks Dave.
You should be able to check the pump fluid level.
Unfortunately, the top has to be half-way up to do so.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

If the motor is running, then all the sensors are ok. I, too, wonder about the fluid level (and signs of fluid leaks?)

The odd sounds imply low/no fluid or bad pump. Can't say that, in the 1 1/2 years I have been on here, that I have ever heard of a verified bad pump. This may be a first.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM

As noted above, it sounds like the fluid level is low. Have you seen in oil under the car, or in the trunk? I have an old 1965 Plymouth convertible and experienced the same symptoms and had to replace the lift cylinders.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 AM

gday thamks for responce , I have actually noted a couple of drops of oil on upper left hand seat. I will have another look on the weekend.Thanks again . Dave

Old 02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When replacing a left side taillight I noticed that the pump reservoir is on the left side and can be accessed by prying the felt inner cover off. Not hard to do and it sounds like you're low on fluid. I had the same problem on my '95 LeBaron. No fluid and I had to have the pistons replaced.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 AM

thanks AIG. I hope it is only low on oil, but some how I got a feeling it is something worse i.e expensive. What sort of oil would I use, i cant seem to find any mention in the handbook. Dave.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Hi, I managed to get top down manually ok, no problems. Whilst I was holding the roof up halfway i thought I would take a look at hydraulic oil tank. What exactly does it look like? I cant see it!.
If I have to, I dont mind operating top manually any way, it seems to be a staight forward process and as its only a weekend car here in s.Australia where the sun is always shining! . Thanks dave.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

one of the features I love about the roadster is the top power up and down. Be a pity not to use the power. I too, have never heard of a pump or fluid problem. Keep us posted.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by valiant106737
If I have to, I dont mind operating top manually any way, it seems to be a staight forward process and as its only a weekend car here in s.Australia where the sun is always shining! . Thanks dave.
The tank is an almost-clear plastic tank with blue fluid in it. You can partly see it with the top mostly up and the cover open. Stand next to the rear wheel and look down in there - it's behind the tail light assembly.

The OTHER side of the car has the air pump for the locks - you'll see yellow hoses that run down to it. Pick the side of the car that does NOT have yellow hoses! (I would say "look on the drivers side" but unsure if you are left or rigth hand drive there).

The top's hydralic lines are on the left side of the car and are black, the pneumatic lines for the locks are on the right side of the car and are yellow.

The full service manual is on this site if you look around ... you can download it free!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 AM

Thanks again for all reply`s. This site is a wealth of information! I will have another look on the weekend when I get the cover off again.Dave.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 PM

Gday, Thanks I got a manual a while ago but it has no section for the electronic roof. Where can I find the manual on this site? I put the top down manually last night before cruising and as it went down I had a look. I saw the plastic bottle for the hydraulic oil , it is only about 30 per cent full. I would like to know how you fill it and what sort of oil I should get to put in it? Thanks Dave

Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go, https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html
use the SRT service manual because there wasn't a roadster in 2004. There is a section in the manual about the top hydraulic's.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 AM

Thanks Paulw. That`ll be great for future reference . It go`es into dealership wednesday, it be interesing to see what is wrong with it and at least I might have some understanding of what they might try and tell me. . For future reference here are the symptoms; Whilst closing top it was making a labouring noise. Had to finish closing manually as it would not go further than half way. When it is closed, if I attempt to raise roof the windows will open and then I hear approx 3 sec whirring noise from the back somewhere. When I raise roof manually I have to release hydraulic pressure first and that seems to enable me to open boot (luggage) lid. After that I can manually raise roof with no problems. Occasionally when I drive off the beeping noise starts and will stop again when I come to a stop. I can cure that by pressing roof button whilst turning ignition off and holding it for about 5 seconds and then I am away!
I will report back Thursday hopefully with the good news that it is all fixed and it did`nt cost me and arm and a leg when I get it back from the stealership. Thanks Dave

Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULW
Here you go, https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html
use the SRT service manual because there wasn't a roadster in 2004. There is a section in the manual about the top hydraulic's.
Not having the SRT, I never downloaded any of that documentation from this reference link that was SRT specific.

Now it looks like I should have if I wanted any doc's on the Top.

As stated, there is NO Top info in the n/a reference doc's, except on emergency up/down procedures in the Owners Manuals (at least I couldn't find any)...!!!

Unfortunately none of the SRT downloads will work at this reference link, as it seems to be ongoing issues with the web host (Go Daddy) and allowable bandwidth per month.

If anyone has a decoder ring on how to get the SRT downloads working, or a working link, I'm all ears...

Thanx...

Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kodebuster

Unfortunately none of the SRT downloads will work at this reference link, as it seems to be ongoing issues with the web host (Go Daddy) and allowable bandwidth per month.

If anyone has a decoder ring on how to get the SRT downloads working, or a working link, I'm all ears...

Thanx...
Did you get it downloaded? I just tried and it worked fine, if you cant download it send me a pm with your email address and I will email it to you, I have a 2005 manual .

Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULW
Did you get it downloaded? I just tried and it worked fine, if you cant download it send me a pm with your email address and I will email it to you, I have a 2005 manual .
I'm traveling on business for the next few weeks, but when I get local with a wired internet connection, I'll try again. I'm running an AirCard on my laptop that is painful with large downloads.

The SRT Service Manual is like 85 meg.

If I continue to strike out, I'll shoot you a PM...

Thanx...

Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Gday, Thanks I got a manual a while ago but it has no section for the electronic roof. Where can I find the manual on this site? I put the top down manually last night before cruising and as it went down I had a look. I saw the plastic bottle for the hydraulic oil , it is only about 30 per cent full. I would like to know how you fill it and what sort of oil I should get to put in it? Thanks Dave

Paul here,
The oil is the same as the power steering oil, part number 5127381AA at $20 a qt!!!

You will need a flexible funnel and a steady hand to fill the canister but this is not hard to do, the min and max levels are marked and the fill plug is visible with the top up. The stealership may not be kind to you!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:21 PM

Thanks Paul. The car is at Chryslers now. Even though the warranty expired 28th February they agreed to repair not only roof but also non heating, heated seats and intermittant operation of powered seats also. Well done Chrysler. Only snag they want the car for at least two weeks, as they reckon it will be difficult sourcing parts. Thanks again I will keep you all posted.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 AM

hello all. Got the car back the other day. Very happy to see it and to cruise in it again .
Whilst it was at Chryslers the heated seats was fixed as was the power operation of seats. They also got the power top working. It was low on oil as some forum members had said. They also said the oil had to come from Germany! They opened and closed the top at least a dozen times , but could not find any evidence of a leak. When my wife decided to close top after driving it out squirted a stream of oil onto dash and seats, it seemed to be coming from where the seat belt comes out from. She took it back to the dealer who booked it in again for 2 weeks time to replace parts. To their credit the dealer has given us 12 months warranty on their work so once again well done Chrysler. Thanks Dave

Quick Reply: top not working