Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

To cut or not, that is the question!

Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To cut or not, that is the question!

Hello to all,
I live in Michigan and purchased my crossfire from a private owner in Florida almost a year ago. I flew down and had a blast driving it home through the mountains. Before I purchased it, the owner had problems with the rear window falling out because of the seal. I was aware of this before I purchased the car. The former owner didn’t try to fix it and took it to a Benz dealership and had them sew in a plastic convertible grade window. The window is in great shape, no yellowing, auto grade and very thick. The problem is that when I get up to over 70 mph, the back plastic window begins to vibrate and increases until it sounds like a bass drum. When I reach back and place my hand on the window, the vibration and sound stops. Sometimes it gets real loud and very annoying. I was wondering if anyone has that issue with the vibration and the deep thumping with the factory glass window?
Actually, I’m thinking about cutting out the sewn in plastic window and glue the glass one back in. He did give me the old glass window which I still have. I have read the post on how to do it and am aware that it might not be permanent and it could fall out. I was told the sewn in window cost him about $500 to install it. There were no alterations to the trim. They just sewed in a plastic one. So the old glass one would fit back in. The plastic window serves the purpose and keeps the rain out. I just hate that thumping sound. I would hate to cut out the plastic one only to find I made a huge mistake.
What do you think?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: To cut or not, that is the question!

put her back to original if you can......depends on how they sewed it in....whether it will look right or not....good luck......

Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM

Some people have gone the route of having a plastic window sewn in. As long as it looks OK and doesn't leak I would leave it alone. Of course you won't have the heat element in the rear window now. You may get rid of most of the noise by driving with the windows up. Even roadsters with glass windows do exhibit a lot of rear window buffeting when driving with the windows down. You also might try a wind restrictor, that might help. Just my $.02

Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Well, I was traveling on I 70 last year in Western Kansas enroute to Colorado. My roadster glass window was also vibrating quite a bit and, at times, sounded like a bass drum at 65-70. But, out here, there are very strong crosswinds and I attributed it to that because I've driven 70 at other times and it hasn't made that sound. And, yes, my windows were up with the air on. If you get a 30-40 mph crosswind, I think it's going to vibrate the glass or plastic. If it were me, I probably wouldn't change unless it becomes more and more of a problem.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You may want to check with a local upholsterer, and see what it would cost to have the glass window sewn in with a fabric pocket for the glass to sit in. I have heard of a few people that have done this when they had a custom top put on to replace the original. I would be concerned that removing the plastic rear window would leave stitching holes in the top where the tread was removed. Is the stitching visible from the outside?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
P-J
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have noticed a vibration once when i had to drop the windows to clear the air after passing by dead skunk fairly late on a cool autumn evening. My theory is if the windows are down so is the top! Best of luck with your decision and outcome!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the information. Based on the replies it sounds like even with the glass there is some vibration and sound. But with the glass window, you will get some vibration but it's probably a lot less.

Also the vibration im experiencing is with the windows up. I agree and I’m sure most agree too that if I can put the windows down, the top is going own too

IBLUBYU- you are correct, i have no rear defogger and the window is not tinted, too

BMORGAN- That is some great advice. There is a place that specialized in Convertible top repairs. I think I'll stop by and see what the cost is to have that done. I think by creating a pocket for the window to sit would provide adhesive to be applied to both sides of the window.