Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

update, tires, help with cruise control

Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default update, tires, help with cruise control

All,

I have been pretty quiet for the past few months. The car mostly sat while I got the nerve to try to repair the rear window. That is done, and it went very well. Days are running right around 100 degrees, with similar humidity, and the window has not budged.

I also took the time to put caps in the wiring for the door speakers and that really does clear up the sound.

Drivable again, except for slick rear tires (Cooper), I read all I could find here, spent some time looking, and finally ordered two Continental Extreme Contact DSW tires for the rear. After about 600 miles, I am extremely pleased. Quiet, smooth, comfortable. From all I could find here, 275/35's were a good alternative size, and they were more readily available. I like the size, but now the cruise control does not work. It will respond for a fraction of a second, as if it is attempting, and then release. There are no trouble codes or lights.

I searched for cruise control and speed control, and checked the FSM, and can find nothing other than the suggestion that traction control may be unhappy. I know several of you have changed the rear tire size. Have you seen this problem? I asked the question in the "Technical" section, and did not get much response. Oddly, I found the question asked several times when I search, but not recently, and no resolution was ever posted in the older threads.

Thanks for any help. Good to be back in the car and a little more active here.

Michael
05 Limited Roadster, 6spd

Old 08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: update, tires, help with cruise control

275/35/19 does not mess your cruise controle up

Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Beaner,

That's what I hoped, and assumed from lack of people stating that it did, but have not seen anyone mention it when talking about size change.

It would at least give me an explanation. I'll keep looking.

Michael

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM

A little more information on the failed cruise control, in case it gives someone a clue that I'm not getting.

Tonight I set it at 50 and it functioned properly. I used the control to raise it to 55. It accelerated smoothly and held steady at 55.

I tried setting it at 70 and it did not respond. I tried both Accelerate/Set and Decelerate/Set. A few minutes later I hit resume and it accelerated smoothly to 70, then disengaged.

I then set it at 60 and it functioned properly.

Turning off the traction control did not change its behavior.

Thanks.

Michael

Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I bought a 2005 roadster and the previous owner put 20inch rims on the rear and 18's on the front. No handling problems but the cruise control does not work above 55. I am not sure if it related to the new rims or not. I asked a Chrysler tech and he said the following:
"Sounds like a Sensor or the PCM
This is a servo-less system.

The only DIY is Grounds & Fuses
Use of Dealer Scan Tool will be needed to test Components

The Speed Control System is fully electronically controlled by the Powertrain Control Module.
Control of the Speed Control System is accomplished by a Speed Control Switch which is located just above the Multifunction Switch. The Speed Control System also uses other components of the vehicle to accomplish its tasks.
The five other major components used are as follows; The PCM, Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, Kickdown Switch (Automatic Transmission), Throttle Body and the Clutch Pedal Position Switch (Manual Transmission)."

This was not much help to me, but maybe you can understand this better than I can.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Cronus,

I'm in about the same boat - I know what is being talked about, but have no way, nor idea, how to check any of the pieces involved. I appreciate your passing the information on, and will post anything I find that may be help to you or another owner with similar trouble.

I noticed a more recent join date than mine, so welcome to the group! This is a great place to learn about the car, and get help if any is available. There is a really positive tone to this group. I guess if you aren't in a good mood, you aren't driving the Crossfire enough.

If you've only recently bought your Crossfire, I know you are enjoying it, even without cruise control.

Again, thanks.

Michael

Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Michael, I had the same problem last year. Car would set at @ 45-50 but no where else. Finally took it to my local shop, they could only isolate it to the computer or the switch. They advised me to take her to the dealer. Dealer determined it to be the switch at the base of the wand, and, are you sitting down, $400 to replace it! Took her back to my local shop and found out they could have done the same job, at about 1/2 the price. D'oh!
Next time something goes wrong, I'm going to the local shop only.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Smfrycruzr,

Thank you for the info; it does help. I have one local MOPAR dealership, and they help explain why Chrysler is nearly defunct. I do know one very good mechanic who may be able to check it out. I hate to pour parts at it, but may have to do that or use my foot.

I had to replace the signal/cruise control switch on an 89 Suburban nearly 20 years ago, and that cost me a little over $100. I could stand $200, especially when I consider it relative to the cost of a single tire.

I may try contact cleaner before anything else.

Again, thanks for the help.

Michael

Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael and Smfrycruzr - Thanks for the information. I was suspecting it was probably the switch on my car too since others have changed out the tires and not had a problem. Has anyone ever done this job (replace the switch) themselves? I would be interested to know how complicated it is. Also, anyplace to get a new switch other than Chrysler? I only go the the dealer as a last resort. Let me know if the contact cleaner works. I seem to remember another thread elsewhere on this forum where someone had good results with that.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Cronus,

If you want to give them a try, I buy every Chrysler part I buy through Galeana's Van Dyke Dodge. This dealership gave a significant discount to the Neon racers (not ricers) and has always been willing to order parts for me if necessary. I can buy parts cheaper shipped to Mississippi than I can buy locally, and have never gotten a wrong part, or a hard time on the phone. When I needed an odd part for the Crossfire, rather than order a nationally backordered part for me, they found another dealership that had one on the shelf.

Dodge & Ram Dealer Detroit | New & Used Car Dealers Warren, Sterling Heights, Dearborn MI | Galeana's Van Dyke Dodge

I will try the contact cleaner when I verify that I won't do damage, but I can not find logic to associate the car's behavior with the speed control switch. The failure is speed related, and the that switch does not provide information on speed. But it might as well be tea leaves and chicken bones.

Before I forget - mine seems to be absolutely reliable up to 65, but will cut out at about 66. I've read that the speed control works in lower gears. I'll check this evening to see if it follows the same pattern in fith gear. That would eliminate throttle/accelerator pedal position and RPM.

I may not make progress for weeks, if ever, but will post when I do.

Michael

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM

Tonight on the way to church, I tried the cruise control in 5th gear. It disengaged at 72 MPH at about 3100 RPM. In 6th, I "tapped" it up from 65 to 69 and about 2400 RPM before it disengaged. So, it is not directly related to engine speed, throttle position, or accelerator pedal position.

The Crossfire Technicians manual indicates that the indicator light will come on or blink if the stability/traction programs think there's a problem. My light has not come on.

The FSM does describe how to remove the speed control switch, and the parts manual shows the exploded diagram and provides the part number for the switch.

Food for thought.

Michael

Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 PM

Just thought I'd pass along an update on my cruise control woes. They are gone.

I'm spending as much time in the car as possible, and use cruise control whenever possible. Over the past week, it has worked flawlessly at any speed up to 75.

I have done nothing to change, fix, or improve its function. It went from working consistently, to not working at all after the tire install, to slowly working more and better and now as if it never had a problem.

It has been as if the car's computer had to accept over time that the difference in sensed speed between front and rear tires was acceptable. Other systems on simpler cars "learn."

Regardless, mine is healed with no solid explanation, and no action on my part.

Michael

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael M
...... Regardless, mine is healed with no solid explanation, and no action on my part.

Michael
I like when that happens! Now if only the fuel tank would fill over night automatically...