Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Tempermental Convertible Top

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempermental Convertible Top

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but my top is consistently inconsistent in the procedures I have to go thru to get it to go down. Sometimes it works just fine, other times, I get nothing and start working thru the troubleshooting process (trunk shut? making sure that divider thing in the trunk is stowed properly etc, etc). This AM, wouldn't open at all after checking several things. All I could ever get was the red light flashing and the irritating beeping sound.

Will be too cold to ride w/the top down pretty soon and what's the sense of owning a convertible, if the top doesn't go down?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Tempermental Convertible Top

It seems to be related to that latch mechanism in the trunk, and must be borderline for it to work at times. Keep trying to make some adjustments on how that latch hooks.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by FP
It seems to be related to that latch mechanism in the trunk, and must be borderline for it to work at times. Keep trying to make some adjustments on how that latch hooks.
+1 on this .... If you need a new "divider/switch" check this out on eBay. Sorry, I don't know how to do a link. eBay #300597966407, Chrysler Crossfire LH cargo divider w/switch. Listed by Turners Performance Programing for $14.99 + shipping.
Enjoy the ride .....

Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FP
Yes, that darn divider switch is most likely the culprit. And lacking a more formal engineering description, to seat the divider switch properly requires a bit of a fish hook motion, moving upwards and towards the front.

Fiddle with it some more. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks for your help. I'll play w/it tonite and see if I can make some progress.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For your reading enjoyment, everything you wanted to know about that pesky switch:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...esnt-work.html

Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Thumbs up Re: Tempermental Convertible Top

i had the same problem ,took it to the dealership and it checked out to be the top over center switch which is located on the passenger side on the frame of the top. if you run your fingers on the rail you can feel it .dealer wanted 350.00 to fix it but you can manipulate the contacts with your fingers.worked for me and a lot cheaper .good luck

Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

got to love dealerships....

Old 10-09-2011, 12:58 PM

If all else fails stick something in there to shim against the switch...I have a rag in there at the moment! ! I know it's aggravating, LOL!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by 73737373
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but my top is consistently inconsistent in the procedures I have to go thru to get it to go down. Sometimes it works just fine, other times, I get nothing and start working thru the troubleshooting process (trunk shut? making sure that divider thing in the trunk is stowed properly etc, etc). This AM, wouldn't open at all after checking several things. All I could ever get was the red light flashing and the irritating beeping sound.

Will be too cold to ride w/the top down pretty soon and what's the sense of owning a convertible, if the top doesn't go down?
Check your manual on how to relieve the hydraulic pressure... might help..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Forum Regular

Considering buying a conv. and I read this thread (along with the one about the rear window falling out) and...I start wondering if it's really worth the breeze in my hair. Should I expect a plethora of problems with one of these? Need answers before I buy.
Thanx,
PACEMAKER

Last edited by Pacemaker; 10-15-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM

IMHO .... if you examine the top for its condition, and don't find any issues (notorious crease in the middle above window and cuts/holes) and the window is solidly in place, with no owner repairs, and then try the up/down top to check for smoothness of operation, and the locking and unlocking of it, it should be no problem. Although the problems talked about here, are in reality a very small percentage of the number of roadsters out there, don't be scared to buy a roadster, just be cautious about buying an existing problem. Just sayin .....

Edit: if you find a nice roadster, check to see if a letter has been received for the extended warranty for the window issue. You might have to call Chrysler customer service, and check the vin# to see if its eligible. This can be an added perk in buying a roadster.

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 10-15-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
IMHO .... if you examine the top for its condition, and don't find any issues (notorious crease in the middle above window and cuts/holes) and the window is solidly in place, with no owner repairs, and then try the up/down top to check for smoothness of operation, and the locking and unlocking of it, it should be no problem. Although the problems talked about here, are in reality a very small percentage of the number of roadsters out there, don't be scared to buy a roadster, just be cautious about buying an existing problem. Just sayin ......
Thanks for your reply. Now I won't feel as unprepared when I actually do inspect some of my prospective purchases. I appreciate your swift response.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM

I have a 2006 Convertible with similar top problems. When the temperature is 80 degrees or more the top will not operate, either up or down. The "red" indicator light on the consol blinks on & off whenever the key is turned on. My dealer has replaced an electronic modular but this did not correct the problem. Since then, the dealer as switched 2 relays mounted on the hydraulic power unit. Since then the temperature has not reached the 80's, it is now fall in St. Clairsville, Ohio. I am afraid the problem will return next summer. When a suddon rain storm comes up and the top is down it is not pretty. If anyone has knowledge of this issue, and knows what it takes to correct the problem, please contact me at 330-352-0097, or email lhendershot@aol.com

Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

wish you were closer, we'd take a look at it... It could be a lot of things, and the dealers aren't usually a lot of help. First is the divider in the trunk. It has to be perfectly aligned in it's cradle for the switch to be engaged. It is a fish hook pattern. Pushes up and hooks. Switch could be bad... If you read above, that is what they were talking about....good luck....

Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the response. The dealer has checked the switch and trunck divider and assures me they are fine. Their technicians have seen the problem while the car was in the shop.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Considering buying a conv. and I read this thread (along with the one about the rear window falling out) and...I start wondering if it's really worth the breeze in my hair. Should I expect a plethora of problems with one of these? Need answers before I buy.
Thanx,
PACEMAKER
Take from me who has 2 Roadsters. Now the window concern seems to be just 2005 and not any other year. I could be wrong on this but not many 2006-2008 are writing in about the window seperation.

The latch in the back is becuase of too many items in the trunk, or set in funny that has poped the latch from the safety conncection. I had to learn by example what could cause this. Now when i pack I don't tyr to jam too many things into the trunk unless I know I will not have the rag-top down.

Buying the roadster is fantastic. I wish I could keep the top down always. Wife loves hers too.

Kj

Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 PM

I agree there is nothing better than crusin down the highway with the top down. I would not think twice about buying another rag top.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM

of course I love the car, don't get me wrong but the top mechanism and the rear window problem is annoying- I once owned a Buick Reatta convertible that had a manually operated top. It was designed so that it only took about a minute to either raise or lower it. Like this car, it stowed neatly in the trunk. I sometimes did that at a red light and never had any issues with that top or the rear glass window. Sometimes 'simple' is more reliable. There's no doubt they could have done a better job in the design of this top.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Thanks to all. I'm pretty sure my problem is in the top over center switch, since when I unlatch the top in the front, my windows don't autmatically go down. Is the switch available? Any recommendations for the best palce to purchase? Thanks. Summer's here!!!

Quick Reply: Tempermental Convertible Top