Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

What do you think of your Roadster

Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Nav

Hello Barb!

I have been using the GPS a lot in the month that I have had my Roadster. Here's the basics, the manual has pretty good details, you should have a second, smaller blue manual in your glovebox that is just for the radio.

To start:

The first time you hit the NAV button, you'll need to insert the WEST CD. This CD contains updates that have to be loaded (Only once) into the unit. It's all automatic, and takes just a couple of minutes.

From there, you turn the right **** to scroll through the menu items, and press the right **** to select.

You will want to go through the settings, there you can select English/Metric, Male or Female voice, and some other basics.

To go somewhere, load the appropriate CD, select NAV, accept the warning about playing with the GPS while driving by pressing the right ****.

Next, scroll to DESTINATIONS, and press the ****.

Select Town, and press the ****.

You'll see the alphabet, you scroll through the letters with the **** and press the **** to select the letters. You'll see the list get smaller as you complete a town name, it's a lot faster than you might think.

Once you locate the town, you can select a street address or just the center of town. Once you do this, you can then select what kind of route you want, fast or short, and the unit will take a moment to calculate the route. Once done, the voice will tell you what to do. You can eject the navigation CD and play cd's or listen to the radio while you drive, you won't need the CD again unless you want to look up a point of interest along the way.

Check out the manual, and spend half an hour in the driveway playing before you hit the road. It does work great.

Scott

Old 08-06-2004, 12:59 PM

I am waiting for my crossfire to arrive. Hopefully in a day or two. As for the GPS, how accurate is it and does contain cities for Canada...Montreal to be more precise?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Default Re: What do you think of your Roadster

I have a 2005 roadster blaze red crystal clearcoat with slate and vanilla interior, with autostick. I was on this site several times before I purchased my Crossfire. I had reservations about buying a Crossfire because af all the problems people were having with them. I came to realize most of the problems were due to not knowing the cars systems. Due to reading this forum I have had no problems with my roadster. The crossfire is a very well built and designed car. It is a dream to drive, I am 6'2" 300 lbs and am able to get in and out with ease. I bought the car in Las Vegas and drove it back to Amarillo, Tx. A two day drive 18 Hrs. It was very comfortable and a real fun car to drive on such a long trip. I had a 560SL Mercedes before and the Crossfire drives identically to it with the exception of the V8 in the Mercedes and the Crossfire has more leg room. The Crossfire is truly a world class sports car.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine! Just wish I had more opportunities to drive it. I don't drive it in bad weather or winters. I really envy you people who have nice weather all year round!

Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: What do you think of your Roadster

I LOVE MY ROADSTER!!!

Even with all the problems I had with this car, I'm just as passionate today about it as I was the first day I drove off the lot. And I can't imagine driving another car, nor is there another car that has caught my eye the way this one did when it was released to the market.

Its true love!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

No surprise hearing from me...I've made a nuisance of myself touting praises about my roadster. I've had zero problems with my roadster. It's a blast to drive and everytime I get behind the wheel, I'm in heaven. I will be driving the car in rain. Heck, I live in Seattle and rain and Seattle are connected at the hip. We don't get much snow, if any, but likely it will stay warm and cozy if the white stuff falls.

Probably the most often heard comment about my car from any naysayers (jealous is more like it) is the lack, they think, of trunk room. Hell, if I wanted cargo space, I'd have bought a SUV! (husband's car). I find the trunk quite roomy and the perfect height for me to put my items that need storage. The luggage is first class, the leg room is ample, and the look is awesome. I see a ton of other roadsters on the road..none catch my attention like the Crossfire.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM

I've had my Red Roadster with 6-speed, two-tone grey and Nav since May now, and here is what I think of it:

Pros

1. I love the looks of the car, and I've never gotten so many compliments while driving it. Amongst the many Z4s, Boxters, etc. on the roads, this is one unique, good looking car.

2. The car has a very tight, substantial feel to it, with no cowl shake.

3. The ride is very good considering the size of the XF.

Cons

1. I'm just gonna come out and say it - the 6-speed sucks. It is slow, inaccurate, and just not a joy to use. I've driven different manuals for the past 15 years, and I would definitely rank it near the bottom.

2. The engine performance leaves something to be desired. The relatively low horsepower combined with a low 6,000rpm red line just doesn't make it much fun. Compared to a Boxster, Z4, or the new SLK anyway. It is very smooth and flexible though.

3. The ESP is way too obtrusive, and cannot be fully turned off (only traction control can).

4. The NAV system, while not bad once programmed, is a pain in the butt to use. Have to put in a CD every time to use, and with no map being displayed, not as full featured as most others.

In summary, this is not a sports car. It just isn't fun to push it, period. Between the slow tranny, low rev limiter, aggressive ESP, it makes more sense to drop the top, slow down, relax, and enjoy the sun. That's when the car is at its best. Just don't confuse it with a cheaper alternative to the Boxster, or a faster Miata.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TO2FST
I'm new here and I'm very seriously considering a Crossfire Roadster purchase in the new year. I'm just waiting for my insurance rates to go down at 25 & gt; and I'm wondering how all of you feel about your roadsters, the pros, cons and everything in between.

Thanks
-Frank
Three words: "I'm in love"...with my roadster! I've owned mine since June. I have enjoyed every minute I've driven it. Pros: Looks, drive, handling, workmanship of the car, hugs the road, turns heads, power, solid throughout.

Cons:
Winter is coming...top must go up for too many months...

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2006, 12:08 AM

We love our car and you don't see many of them on the road which makes them rather unique. Ours was involved in an accident the end of May and we should be getting it back this week so we are both pretty excited.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Forum Regular

2WScout- did you drive the 6 spd and the auto before you bought it? I only wanted the 6 spd leading up to the purchase but when I test drove them both my mind was made up and I went with the auto for exactly the reasons you gave for not liking the 6 spd. I agree the car in general is not up to true sports car measurements like a Porsche 911 or a Z06, but at 54 years old it's the perfect car for a spirited drive in the summer sun.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Roadkill
We love our car and you don't see many of them on the road which makes them rather unique. Ours was involved in an accident the end of May and we should be getting it back this week so we are both pretty excited.
Its taking 4 months to get your car back? How serious of an accident was this? And why the lengthy time? Hopefully nobody was injured!

I've said it before and well, feel compelled to say it again - I LOVE MY ROADSTER!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 AM

I like mine. It's fun to drive. I think there is one other one around here, but not an srt-6. Making the comment you don't like the performance out of it, you shouldn't have bought one that only makes 215 hp. You knew that going into it I would assume? Hell, I don't consider it a fast car at this point and mine has the after market pulley's and ecu on it. I didn't buy it to be fast. I just wanted something a little different. With shaving the badges off people have no idea what this thing is. I think it's funny.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM

buggy4crossfire - an auto really wasn't an option for me, as I've always had manuals, and the wife's MDX has an auto, that's enough for me. If it was, I would've gotten the SRT6, and put up with the harsher ride for the extra 115 ponies. I did drive an SRT6 coupe, and really wish there was a manual with that. I was hoping that the transmission would get a little better over time (it didn't), but I knew going into it that it won't be a Miata stick.

my65cuda - yeah, I knew that going in, but just like any new car, felt a little faster than it does now. I don't want to sound like I don't like the car, I just wanted to point out what I think are the shortcomings. Imagine the XF with the 3.5 and the improved 6-speed. Now that would make it much closer to an ideal car...

Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sharonaln67
Its taking 4 months to get your car back? How serious of an accident was this? And why the lengthy time? Hopefully nobody was injured!

I've said it before and well, feel compelled to say it again - I LOVE MY ROADSTER!!!
$14,500.00 in damage when a landscapers 1977 F-250 and trailer rear ended my wife. The frame (unibody) was remarkable straight, but the sheet metal is another story. The biggest cost and reason for the lengthy time was getting new parts from Germany. Parts for these cars are hard to come by and I presume expensive to import.
My wife got a nasty case of whiplash in the accident, but is doing fine now. I will say these cars can take a pounding and come out ok.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Hope you get the 6-speed. Yeah it may be more work, but that's the way sports cars are meant to be. I have an '05 with 21k miles and only drive it about 7 months a year. Love every minute of it. It's reasonably fast but I find German cars are made for high speed cruising and not acceleration. It is rock solid at 100-120 mph and I would never admit I've had it to 140, with throttle left over.