Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Top Release Button...Working or Not?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Release Button...Working or Not?

I would sure appreciate some input from any of the more experienced roadster owners. I have a 2005 convertible and had an issue when I was putting the top down today. I turned the key to the "on " position and rolled down the windows. I pressed the small button located in the center of the release handle and pulled the handle down and began to turn it the required 1/4 turn clockwise. The top had not been down for about 7 months and it was difficult to get it to take the 1/4 turn. It finally worked and the top went down. I was concerned about the the way the release button and handle worked so I decided to re-do the up/down operation to confirm all was well. When I got the top all the way up electrically, then manually pulled it down the last 6-8 inches and returned the 1/4 turn to lock it closed the top locked okay to the window frame, but the release handle does not sit crisply in its fully closed position. The release button does not hold the release handle firmly in place. The top appears to be safely locked in the up position, but the handle is not being secured by the small push button. On closer examination it appears the square shaft of the push button has worn short or possibly the tip has broken off. At any rate the button appears to now have no function. Can anyone shed some light on this? If the release handle is now in the proper locked position does it matter if the push button is not doing anything? Is the push button part inself still available from a Chrysler dealer? All input appreciated.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Top Release Button....Working or Not?

I think the 'button' you are referring to is just a trim piece. I do not have to press or do anything special to my top release handle, just grab it, pull it down and twist. When twisting the header starts to push itself up slightly on its own. There is a spring inside the handle that is there to hold the handle in the stored position. Nothing else holds it up.
Not sure what you are asking.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

The reference is to the little lock release button. My Red car's button was always stuck in the unlocked position - I would not worry about this at all.

But it DOES sound like you are not moving the top very often, I cannot imagine letting my top sit for 7 months!!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Hey Pizzaguy....your comment about not moving the top for 7 months was so spot on that I felt you deserved a response. My situation actually occurred while putting the top UP for the 1st time in 7 months. But when attempting to explain the order that things occurred it seemed easier to start with a top up situation. Your comment was so appropriate.......I bought the SRT6 Roadster last Thanksgiving and the top has been down continuously since December 2011. I live in Palm Desert, Ca. and the "princess" is garaged every night ...so why ever drive it with the top up??? Driving this thing is the most legal fun I've had in 40 years.

Thanks for the feed-back. I also suspected the buttons function was not critical. I think it only provided some spring tension to keep the handle in a firmly closed position.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Top Release Button...Working or Not?

I live in the great Northwest so don't have the luxury of top down for seven months. However, I have often wondered if it is good to leave the top down for that long. I wonder if the folds set in or some other thing like shrinking occurs if top is not exercised every so often. Would appreciate what others think about this. Just looking for guidance.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

I also do not understand the "lock button"? I pull down and twis and the windows go down by themselves. When I put it up I just pull down and twist after the chime goes off. I do have to put the windows back up myself though. Can someone post a picture of this "lock button"?

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I also do not understand the "lock button"? I pull down and twis and the windows go down by themselves. When I put it up I just pull down and twist after the chime goes off. I do have to put the windows back up myself though. Can someone post a picture of this "lock button"?

Thanks,
Same here. No lock button I've ever seen, and no need to roll the windows down first as they automatically drop when I rotate the the release handle and the roof pops away from the windshield header. And my car is a 2005 model (not that it matters, since they're all the same in this regard).

Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On roadsters built before the middle of October 2004 have a locking handle on the latch after the middle of October they went with a no locking handle. If you have to replace the handle or the latch system they no longer can be ordered with the locking button. Mine has a locking button built April 2004.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

"very interesting"

Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Both of my '05 Roadsters were buillt in August of 04. I had no idea there was a change made to that latch - but I DO know that I don't think it's needed, anyway.

Also, I'd not leave the top down for so long. First, ANY mechanical system should be exercised regularly (that's just me), and I have read other's state that they believe not having tension on it could lead to shrinkage.

Just my two cents! Enjoy the ride, toia!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I have read other's state that they believe not having tension on it could lead to shrinkage.

So true, having tension on it definately prevents shrinkage. In fact, it expands!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Thank you to all the folks that provided input to my question regarding the release button. I'm relieved that its function is moot and has no material impact. Probably more important I now have an understanding of potential side affects of not regularly exercising the top mechanism.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Interesting 'conversation' here about the mechanical aspect of the top . Can we talk about top wrinkles for a minute? For those with ollder XFs, how is the top wearing? Still looking good,or can ya see the folds? Just wondering..... Thanks - Alicia

Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Alicia
Interesting 'conversation' here about the mechanical aspect of the top . Can we talk about top wrinkles for a minute? For those with ollder XFs, how is the top wearing? Still looking good,or can ya see the folds? Just wondering..... Thanks - Alicia
They are like Shar Pei's, the wrinkles give them character .......

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Regarding the question on wrinkles.......I was told by the owner of "Top Shop" that with time they will wrinlke. He mentioned that there is a convertible top dressing which can be applied to mitigate to some degree this issue. I've not tried any dressing to mine as it is still new......a factory authorized replacement.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Administrator

I use 303 brand products. Get some of this stuff: http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={a71370ca-a260-4a3e-a75f-7bb18ab048a9}&gid={3d052aec-4b46-4bf6-bea0-6ab0f0760c01}&GroupName=303+Convertible+Top+Protec tion&pname=303+Convertible+Top+High+Tech+Fabric+Gu ard&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

There is a cleaner that goes with it, too. But I have never used it (have it in the garage, just not needed it yet). This protector is AWESOME !!! I can get the top wet, towel it off, and in ten minutes it will be totally dry!

I paid $24.95 for the last bottle I bought, so their price is good even with shipping. (Bought mine locally, but I moved 90 miles from that store last fall.)

Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 AM

Thanks pizzaguy! Alicia

Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks Pizzaguy,

The 303 product you refered to is the same one mentioned earlier to me. I'm going to pick up a bottle.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=444689&catalogId=10001&la ngId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50218&subdeptNum=50268&cl assNum=50273#.UBK5xBztdM4[/URL]

Not sure if the above link will work, however West Marine sells 303 products and if you print out the page from their sight they will sell it to you in store for the same price, or will price match other online sights. A couple of weeks ago they did a price match for me and I believe I paid $19.99 for the 32oz bottle of the 303 fabric guard.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I can deal with the wrinkles, but not with the shrinkage. Wait, we're talking about convertible tops. Never mind.

Quick Reply: Top Release Button...Working or Not?