Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Help please.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help please.

I live in Florida, so I've been having issues with my convertible top, a few years ago my rear glass fell out, I paid out of pocket for it, then a year later I get something in the mail saying I would get compensated for it, so great I get my money back.

Now I can't even get my top to go up or down, everything was fine a few days ago, then I heard a buzzing sound yesterday so I thought uh oh, now today I tried putting my top up and it just buzzed and died on me. It will not move and will not lock into place, so I'm basically driving with this intermittent beeping noise telling me my top is not all the way down and the convertible latch is not secured. Can someone please tell me what could be wrong? Do you think one of the hydraulics failed? If so is there a way to fix it? Ideally I want to try a fast fix like putting more fluid in it, how would I go about that?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts
Default Re: Help please.

I may have some time to help you with this later today (the 24th) - check back here in the evening, eastern time.

It's bedtime.

But I can tell you this, we need to talk about where this "buzzing sound" is coming from - is the pump buzzing or do you mean you have a chime from the dash indicating a problem?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hydraulic fluid leak?

Originally Posted by Blaze_Red_Crossfire
I live in Florida [...] I can't even get my top to go up or down, everything was fine a few days ago, then I heard a buzzing sound yesterday so I thought uh oh, now today I tried putting my top up and it just buzzed and died on me. It will not move and will not lock into place, so I'm basically driving with this intermittent beeping noise telling me my top is not all the way down and the convertible latch is not secured. Can someone please tell me what could be wrong? Do you think one of the hydraulics failed? If so is there a way to fix it? Ideally I want to try a fast fix like putting more fluid in it, how would I go about that?
Since you are describing a beeping AND a buzzing, you are likely having a low hydraulic fluid level. The beeping would be a warning that there is a problem with the system, such as you trying to drive the car without the top being locked down. If the hydraulic convertible top pump makes a different noise than it used to (you are describing a buzzing), then that is likely from the pump sucking air, as a result from hydraulic fluid leaking. Check the reservoir attached to the pump - it has min/max markers.

The hydraulic fluid doesn't evaporate. If the fluid level is low, then you very likely have a leak from one of the hydraulic cylinders' seals. Your Crossfire roadster has hydraulic cylinders for locking the rear, lifting the top, and moving the rear bow (i.e., flipping the window portion up and down). All these cylinders have Polyurethane seals in them that decay with time. It's an unavoidable chemical reaction that gets accelerated by heat. You can have those cylinders upgraded by having the seals replaced with a much better material, so that your used cylinders will be much better than new ones. No kidding.

What concerns me, is that you say the system eventually died on you. I hope it just timed out, but am worried that the pump may have burnt out from running dry for too long. If you find that the reservoir is empty, then you could still put in some proper fluid (Pentosin CHF-11S or FeBi 02615) and check if the pump will come back to life. You can fill the reservoir with a syringe, if needed.

Please let us know what you find, and we can take it from there. I'm sure that pizzaguy has some additional, valuable input for you - he is an incredibly helpful forum member!

Klaus

Last edited by TopHydraulics; 03-24-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

Where might you find replacement hydraulic cylinders' seals and what are the part numbers? Is this something someone could do themselves or would a shop have to do it?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Sponsor
Thumbs up Replacing and upgrading the seals in Crossfire hydraulic cylinders

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Where might you find replacement hydraulic cylinders' seals and what are the part numbers? Is this something someone could do themselves or would a shop have to do it?
ZERACER,

If you look at the attached photo, you might recognize that the seal upgrade is not a DIY job. The cylinders are crimped, and the seals are not available off the shelf. There are several seals inside these cylinders that are made of Polyurethane, and they all need to be replaced/upgraded. If you buy new cylinders, you will pay a lot more and end up getting the same problem again in some ten years or less.

Klaus

Attached Images

Last edited by TopHydraulics; 03-24-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: removing reference
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

OP, you will note that Mr. 'tophydraulics' is a vendor.
He is not tooting his horn, which I appreciate, so I'll do it for him :

Chrysler Convertible Top Hydraulic Rebuild/Upgrade Service - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by alaxfire
OP, you will note that Mr. 'tophydraulics' is a vendor.
He is not tooting his horn, which I appreciate
alaxfire,

thank you for your comment. Frankly, I'm a bit uncomfortable when posting on the forum at this point, because nobody wants to be "sold" anything, and a company should be a commercial sponsor if posting commercial content. So far, what I have written was not commercial content, but it was very likely that my comments were going to lead to others referring to the company. I like to be upfront and not hide anything.

I like to test the waters before spending a bunch of time and money on commercially sponsoring a forum, as I am doing with several other forums already. I feel positive about sponsoring this forum now, so it's basically a matter of getting around to doing the paperwork, writing up the company profile for this forum, and so forth. Forgive me if this might take a while...

Klaus

Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by TopHydraulics
alaxfire,

thank you for your comment. Frankly, I'm a bit uncomfortable when posting on the forum at this point, because nobody wants to be "sold" anything, and a company should be a commercial sponsor if posting commercial content. So far, what I have written was not commercial content, but it was very likely that my comments were going to lead to others referring to the company. I like to be upfront and not hide anything.

I like to test the waters before spending a bunch of time and money on commercially sponsoring a forum, as I am doing with several other forums already. I feel positive about sponsoring this forum now, so it's basically a matter of getting around to doing the paperwork, writing up the company profile for this forum, and so forth. Forgive me if this might take a while...

Klaus
I, for one, appreciate having another knowledgeable voice regarding the roadster top operation on the forum. Pizzaguy has always been very helpful, but lately he has had his hands full with other issues.
I know a bit, as I too have a roadster, but not as much as I would like.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by alaxfire
I, for one, appreciate having another knowledgeable voice regarding the roadster top operation on the forum. Pizzaguy has always been very helpful, but lately he has had his hands full with other issues.
I know a bit, as I too have a roadster, but not as much as I would like.
alaxfire,

I will always give straightforward and honest advice; cannot do it any other way. The hydraulic system in the Crossfire roadsters is a variation of the hydraulic systems used in just about every modern convertible, with all their weaknesses and strong points. It appears that the system has been engineered well, and the main weakness are the seals that will fail after an average of some 10 years (and faster in hot climates). Again, failing seals are common in ALL convertibles with hydraulic tops, which are pretty much standard by now.

I know all the hydraulic components of the system very well, after literally working with many thousands of convertible owners with leaking cylinders or failing pumps. I do not own a Crossfire, nor have I ever worked on a Crossfire itself. That limits my ability to answer many everyday questions about the convertible top operation. However, I think the forum has already discussed most of the important operational issues. You and Pizzaguy certainly stand out - please forgive me if I am not currently mentioning every important contributor.

I would love to check out the whole system in operation on a Crossfire. If a local Crossfire owner should be willing to stop by at our shop in Florence, Oregon, then I would be happy to give them a free hydraulic fluid flush for the privilege of seeing all mounting and switching details in person - that would make it a lot easier for me to give hands-on advice on the forum...

Klaus

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM

That's about 2,693 miles one way for me.
Someone in Portland area want a freebie ?