Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Autostick vs. 6 speed

Old 12-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autostick vs. 6 speed

I'm looking to get an '05 Roadster. Can anyone offer comments on the Autostick vs. the 6-speed manual trans? Thanks.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Default Re: Autostick vs. 6 speed

My suggestion would be to drive both and decide which you like better. IMO it's just a matter of personal preference. I have the 6 speed and wouldn't have it any other way, but others feel just as strongly about the Autostick. Good luck. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:33 AM
Forum Regular

fmccamant:
I agree with Lee, the choice is your comfort zone. I couldn't live with out 6 speed but then again I may be just trying to recapture my youth! The automatics are pretty good nowadays but I really enjoy the interaction of the manual. I did drive the automatic 1st and it was tempting, but we (yes my wife also agreed to the manual) so it took a little longer to find one. I have owned 8 Corvettes and I always liked the standards best. The Xfire is great either way.

Old 12-24-2004, 04:29 AM

Bought my first Crossfire last weekend and the dealer let me try both, auto first. The auto was nice but having owned an ML320 it didn't feel too much different.
Jumped in the manual and within minutes had a big grin on my face - personally I found the nature of the car more aggressive and much more rewarding to drive quickly on our windy little roads here.

Old 12-24-2004, 05:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats, You may have just bought one of those lovely cars that you brits like to roll out at Brams Hatch 25 years later and race them like the dickens !!!

Old 12-24-2004, 05:26 AM

Did my final race at the end of 2003 after many years of racing sports cars and my company still sponsors The Credit Professionals Sports Car Championship held at Lydden circuit in Kent.

I think the Crossfire might be a bit tame! My Caterham was a BDA engined, 245 bhp at 9,200 rpm and weighed only 525 kilos and was still not the fastest around - mind you that might have been my driving! Still, standing quarter in low 12s was quite acceptable.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:11 AM

I was convinced I wanted a stick in whatever I bought (I looked at the TT Roadster, S2000 and the Crossfire Roadster). Drove the TT Roadster with the 6 Spd. and both the Crossfire 6 Spd. and autostick. Never got to drive the S2000. Loved the 6 Spd in the TT, thought the 6 Spd in the Crossfire was vague (a little hard to find the gears) and found the autostick to be highly enjoyable. That was it. For the money they were asking for the Crossfire I had no choice. Black Crossfire Roadster Ltd. with Dark Slate and Cedar and the Autostick. On order now for delivery in the spring. I've also had the Vettes with auto and stick (Doug Nash 4+3), TR6's, MGB's, 240Z's, Trans Ams with 455's and Hurst 4 Spd's, BMW 320i's and 4 spds and everything in between. Maybe I'm just getting old and found the auto to be very enjoyable. Whatever floats your boat. I would consider the flying gearshift **** problem though which seemed to have plagued several owners. Check for that prior thread and see if the problem has been resolved. That sounded fairly dangerous.

Old 02-09-2005, 04:01 PM

Got my 05 Roadster auto December 20th. I like the auto stick, especially the smoothness in changes when using the it as manual. That's me though best to try it first. I guess I'm past the stage of clutches and working my way through gears. The manual on the auto stick can still be alot of fun, and faster than a clutch.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

I test drove an auto, then a manual, then an auto and then the manual again. Then one final time I drove the auto once more! (nice dealer spent a lot of time with me!). Personally the manual is more fun, but it is a Merc and Mercedes are not known for making good manuals. Resale value on Mercs is always better with an auto, plus I drive a lot sitting in traffic so the auto works well for me. 0-60 time is no different either. Up to you though. Had I got a "propper" sports car there is no way I would consider an auto, you want the driving experience. But on this car I wouldn't do it.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:30 PM

I also drove the 6sp and auto before making the decision. I also was leaning toward the 6sp, then reality hit as I was driving home for some papers...traffic, bumper to bumper on the Interstate at 10 mph. I want to drive my CF everyday, so I bought the auto. And, I find that almost as much fun, with the added benefit of no leg cramps when the traffic backs up

Old 02-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Do you drive is rush hour traffic with lots of stops and goes, the Xfire long shift pattern is a real pain, suggest auto. If you only use Xfire on weekend, 6 speed is the deal.

dmg