Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Car wash story

Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car wash story

Hi Robin,

My Crossfire is the first Chysler product that I've ever owned. I would say I purchased it based first on styling and second performance. The other vehicles that I considered were the Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z, and the Audi A4. (The Audi TT coupe just doesn't appeal to me for some reason?). Could you tell us why the Crossfire hasn't been more highly promoted? Most people have no idea what it is when they see it, or after you tell them what it is!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 AM

Hi Robin,

I have never owned a Chrysler before, have had at least 6 Volvo's, and a bunch of performance cars. I lived in England for years, traveling all over Europe all the time - around 20k miles a year, mainly in France and Germany.
Why do I mention this - well this amazing car has its roots firmly in Europe.. what your designers did , was take a pretty boring German Design and added American panache... and did they succeed... just yesterday I called in to a KFC for some lunch, and all four staff came out to look at the car !!!!
So now you have a proven car... I mean the engine unit has sold over 400,000 units, some pretty impressive stabilization, a neat autostick.. and a top quality build... and all sold at an American price..!!! et voila... !!!
Of course the press hate it, its got no new bits to complain about, I imagine Mercedes are pretty upset too, I mean it performs pretty well, and at a discount to their cars..plus it is more stable..its not the fastest in the pack... but who wants to be a boy racer.. and as it easily can travel at twice the speed limit here , it is quite fast enough !!
What do I like about it.. just about everything, it has amazing looks, fantastic stability, a quality build, amazing dealer - the guys we bought from are about as nice, professional and friendly as you could possibly meet...
Every where you go.... we went to the Symphony they Valet parked the car.. right outside the door.. first car in the line... you get the sort of looks one expects from a Ferrari !!!
The whole driving experience is a joy... it is simply a total experience ... I'm a Designer.. and my honest opinion is this.. it is simply... " Better by Design" ... and you should let your design team know they did a fantastic job...

Old 04-15-2005, 12:10 PM

bartinmi / Kit and Kat, thanks for the prompt reply.

bartinmi - Someone else asked the same question in another thread within this very same forum. I mentioned then that are several commercials out there on the Crossfire. I've also seen print ads in upscale magazines. I know that there are other nontraditional ways of marketing a product (me chatting in a forum) , but the car really does speak for its self. I guess what I’m trying to understand is whether or not you guys “enthusiasts” see something that others don’t. Is advertising really the issue?

Kit and Kat EXCEPTIONAL testimonial!

How did you guys learn about the vehicle? Did a commercial first attract you, an article maybe? Or did you get turned on to the Crossfire by word of mouth? Were you the person who craned their neck and asked the question “What is that?” once upon a time? Maybe that’s what it will take to spread the word, grassroots word of mouth endorsements from people who know what they’re talking about from first hand experience.

I really appreciate the response. The Chrysler Information Center wants to hear from you.

Robin T.
Chrysler Information Center Marketing Representative

www.chrysler.com
chryslerforum@bbdodetroit.com
1-800-CHRYSLER (1-800-247-9753)

Last edited by RobinT; 05-04-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:49 PM

Hi Robin,

Actually we read the Design Awards, and started looking..enjoyed the Chrysler web site... and understood its ability when we saw the autobahn driving... bought the Coupe in June last year, has 20k on it now... Cindi has her eye on a yellow roadster...I think we will have his and hers before long... it really is a lovely car to drive, very nice balance.
We tried the SLK350 and the Boxster ( Boxster is nice... maybe better, but much more expensive), we even went to a Chevy dealer to try the Corvette, but they wouldn't allow us to test drive it.. so it was struck off our list immediately..I since heard the build is not that great..

How to sell the car.... mmmm... my suggestion is this.. you are already selling twice as many as the SLK did.... give it a chance to show how good a car it is... resist heavy discounting.... I would invite my best customers to take one for a day and drive it, to experience the amazing reactions you get.. Volvo did that to me all the time..( I bought six or seven, still have one).. I'd get a free loaner and it was always the next model up..this using Enterprise is all very well, but they always manage to stick you with an extra charge ( that's me the customer).. so its not really free.
In this case you could ask them to write up their experience which will be much better than they ever expected, make for some interesting marketing material..I also think you are going after the best or most able segment of the market.. do you call us "empty nesters" ? we don't need the car, but we sure enjoy it..and this segment for now has the ability to buy... an added bonus is we regularly get 28 mpg.... try that in a 350Z or Mazda R8 !!!

Remember up till now, Chrysler was not known for quality sports cars..!! so it will take time for the word to spread... in the meantime don't cut corners...

Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 PM

With Respect to Robin's question, I'm asked about my X-Fire about once per week at least, often times while just idling at a stop light, and the car next to me asking, how much is the X-Fire, and does it drive well. My suggestion is that it would be nice to have at least one commercial about the X-Fire in the D.C. market area. I've had mine for six months, only saw two others, and that was for mere seconds on the Beltway, so if no one knows about the X-Fire, there's no opportunity for someone to buy it, unless, like in my case, I'm looking for a car after my old one kicks the bucket, drop by a Chrysler dealership, and inquire about the shiny sports car in the front, whose name I never heard of.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Hey Robin would you like to go with me on the Yosemite Hook-up May 7 that would tell you alot. I need someone to ride shotgun.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:34 PM

This is my second Chrysler but I've also owned/own Jeeps. I've had 4 Grand Cherokees and a Wrangler Renegade. I've also sold (on suggestion to my friends and family) at least 6 Grand Cherokees. For much the same reason as I'm a Jeep owner I decided on my Crossfire. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is far and away the best car for the money. It does everything you need a car for and you get into it for nothing down and $300 give or take a couple bucks a month. What else can you get for what you get with the Crossfire at its current price? There are no deals on the 350Z roadster and besides its ugly as hell and the interior is finished like garbage. Then anything German, Audi TT, Porsche Boxster or Mercedes even if the MSRP is close or the same ie. the TT Roadster, is a $100 or so more a month + a sizeable down payment. The Honda S2000 is nice and probably comparably priced on a monthly basis but the car stickers for thousands less and its nothing close to the Crossfire in refinement and looks. Based on what I saw last weekend in NY, the Crossfire is definitely appealing to an older crowd, especially the roadster. I'm speaking of guys my age, in our 50's and there just aren't enough of us around willing to buy intimate 2 seaters. They're either going for BMW 3 series convertibles, Audi A4 convertibles or Mercedes CLK convertibles. I think with the Crossfire your getting all the quality of the 3 German cars at a $15,000 discount in some cases. I also have told my dealership they've done a horrible job of selling the car. They've had 2 roadsters in a back garage for 5-6 months. Up until they saw my car which was special ordered for me, they had never seen the Dark Grey and Cedar interior or the dark grey and vanilla. I told them if they put either interior with a black or white car on the showroom floor they'd write all the orders they could. Why do you think all the pic's you see of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are showing them with Black and red interiors? These are all my personal thoughts and I'm sure you all have your own ideas as to why the car isn't selling well but as I said the other day, I really don't care, I've got mine and it seems the people that have seen the car so far have all said they thought the car was stunning.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One reason it's not selling much is because of it's awesome design and styling which makes people think this car is very expensive as what I thought when I first saw it! But when I talked to the rep about the car, the price is really very reasonable for what I'm getting from the Crossfire. The style and design fascinates me and its really worth every penny from it. The interior matches my lifestyle who likes sporty cars and deals with people alot. I love the auto deploying spoiler...no other car in this price range has it! I've always heard people complimenting my XFIREX even after more than a year of ownership and people always think this must be a 45-60k car.

But what made it from not selling much is because people don't see it all the time on the road and there's not a lot of good reviews made in this car from most car magazines. DC needs to pay someone to give a good review for the non-srt-6 crossfires because sports car enthusiasts listen to what's written in the magazines. They need to introduce the car to the younger generation by getting into their magazines....if they love neon lights give them a show car with neon lights...if they love a cool audio system in the crossfire, show them my CAR...lol!

Speed is not much of a great factor because this car is fast and can really handle fast speed without shaking ( been running my car in my secret 5 mile autobahn strip at 135 mph everyday...that's the max speed I can go in that strip leaving cars running 70 mph a mile away in 13 seconds! )

And lastly, they need to enroll their sales employees in this forum so that they will be educated about the car and so that they can sell it more!

Last edited by Cyril Baldwin; 04-16-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Car wash story

I agree with Marc.....well informed sales team and the presentation of color combinations are very important. I am a New York transplant and recently moved to Virginia, I only have seen or heard of no more than 6 Crossfire on the Long Island. One of the members of this forum JHA has the first Roadster Limited and I have the second and have only seen four Coupes on the roads. I have owned 9 Chrysler products in the last twelve years with out any complaints. The car is worth every dime that I paid for it, and have been considering a trade for the SRT Roadster. The age consenus on this forum and others put the average buyer of this car at about 42 years old. There is nothing on the road as yet that can compete with the Crossfire's styling. Have gone to many car shows and the attention that the car receives is great. As far as speed.....its enough for me and most of the people on this forum. The handling is exceptional and is a joy on winding country roads and for regular highways.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:51 PM

I've owned several Dodge / Chrysler products. I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 in 2001 and had a Concorde just prior to that. After a bad experience with Chrysler Corp (about the Concorde blowing engines, even a brand new one, that Chrysler said was MY fault due to oil sludge buildup - with all my receipts for oild changes at 3000 mile intervals) I swore I'd NEVER buy another Chrysler product again. They eventually talked me into trading the LEMON CONCORDE for a Town and Country (albeit, with higher payments). Anyway, I wasn't happy with Chrysler to say the least. Then my daughter goes and gets an old Dodge Neon. So, I walk into the dealership to buy parts for the Neon, and there is the Crossfire. After I find out about the innards (the MB parts, engine, drivetrain, etc...) I start thinking I wanted one. Then, I finally broke down and bought it.

Why isn't Chrysler selling more? I don't know for sure. I do know that before I found out that the car was Merc based, I'd have passed on it no matter how good it looked. After getting F'd over by Chrysler Corp via the Concorde, I would never trust another Mopar product again. Maybe that's the problem. Chrysler's lack of quality in the past and then the way they treated customers when there were issues that were obviously design related but blamed on owners so they wouldn't have to recall them. So long as I can get Chrysler products made with proven MB underpinnings, I'll keep buying them. Anything else, then Chrysler can kiss my furry white ***.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Banned

I really like the Crossfire and will probably end up with a SRT6. Waitng too see how much they drop!

change the emblems you'll feel better too.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:52 PM

I sold Fords for 18 years until I took over managerment of our Chrysler Dodge Jeep store. I will have to give Chrysler the disign edge in their products in compairision to the domestic car makers. With 12 different franchises under our roofs, I had a lot of options when I made up my mind to fun to drive as a non-company vehicle. I had the option to use my employee pricing thru Chrysler, GM, Ford, Mazda, etc. and I picked the Crossfire. The Limited Roadster is a great car. I have never let the Auto Rags make my decisions for me. After being in this business for over 20 years I have seen to may crappy reviews of some great cars. I'm currently driving a Dodge Magnum RT for a company car and it hasn't left the driveway since my Crossfire was unloaded. It's a great car and I love to drive it as often as I can, now I just need to figure out a way to get more people in the showroom and behind the wheel.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:51 PM

As mentioned in a prior posting (not related to this thread), one of my primary reasons for visiting with you guys is to speak openly with forum members. I know that I definitely have as much to learn from Crossfire owners/enthusiasts as I have to share with you. It has been a joy speaking with each of you… Your detailed responses are so insightful and diverse, and have surpassed all expectations. I’ve been visiting the site on and off reviewing many of the ongoing conversations; some recall a day in the life, others present astute observations based on months of ownership, and each new assessment is as valuable as the last. As long as you’re all okay with my presence on this site I’d like to keep posting responses if I think that I can add value to the conversation, and I’ll continue to ask questions as long as you’re willing to supply answers. I just want to make sure that the “door” remains open for future use.

Just to let you know, if you have questions regarding the Chrysler Crossfire or any other current model year Chrysler brand vehicle, I’ll answer them if I can, if I can’t I’ll do my best to refer you to the right authority. I’ll keep checking back…

Please don’t hesitate to contact me…

Oh and Buckeyedad thanks for the URL to the Xfire poll …

Robin T.
www.chrysler.com

Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular

Robin, perhaps you can help some of us Roadster owners. A couple of Cutter & Buck golf jackets showed up on Ebay with the Crossfire Logo and The word Roadster under it. These were supposedly given out to dealers on the roadsters introduction. I checked with my dealer and several other Chrysler sources that I was directed to but to no avail. Can you possibly find out who made them for Chrysler if Chrysler themselves are not selling it? Just like the Crossfire itself, if Chrysler only knew how to market this stuff there is a fortune to be made on us car nuts willing to buy anything Crossfire. These jackets were first rate pieces but I never saw them other than the 2 on ebay and they were in medium or small sizes. I also see an Attache case that Steve (I think thats his name) is selling on Ebay. Where do these things come from? Never saw it at Chrysler.com. Why give them to sales people who put them up for auction? Manufacture them in quantity and market them to the owners a little better. Anyone agree with me?

Old 04-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Banned

Can you go to Yosemite hook-up? or can you tell us IF DC will put the 350 V-6 in the Crossfire for 06??????

Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 PM

Buggy4crossfires-

I've been looking into your inquiry re: the jackets, but alas, I've been unable to turn anything up... If the jackets were supplied to dealers only, then they would not have been available via the "Chrysler Gift Gallery".

The bad news in all likelihood, jackets were created at the request of someone at a "regional" level so locating the manufacture or a point of sale is next to impossible...

The good news, I’ve noted and forwarded your interest in high-end accessories/apparel. I can’t promise that the item will be produced, but you’re right, perhaps nothings currently offered because there’s no way for enthusiasts to vocalize what you’d like to see/wear. I know that you’ve checked out the “Chrysler Gift Gallery”. There are a few available items specific to the Crossfire… I know, it’s not quite a leather jacket but it’s a start…. For those of you who are interested in seeing what’s available, follow the attached link and select “vehicle specific” and then Crossfire. http://www.giftgallery.chrysler.com/GiftGallery/#

Dan Root -
Thanks for the invitation, but I won't be able go to the Yosemite hook up. Regarding your inquiry about the 2006... 2006 Chrysler Crossfire information is currently unavailable; however, I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I hear anything. I thought you were waiting for the SRT-6 anyway?

Just out of curiosity, I've seen the term "Hook-Up" used on more than one occasion, would you guys participate in an event sponsored by Chrysler that was for Crossfire owners? This is a question good people, not a proposition… Have any of you ever participated in a Chrysler sponsored event?

You guys have been great…. Looking forward to seeing your replies….

Robin T.
www.chrysler.com

Old 04-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Car wash story

Robin T.

I would gladly participate and welcome a "DChrysler Event" for our Crossfire's if proposed. There are quite a few "Mopar" events here in Virginia, usually they are for the later model Chryslers and Dodges. There are quite a few Crossfire owners in the DC/MD/VA/NC/SC area and I am sure the idea would sit well with them.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Banned

Yesssssssssssssssssssss we would, plan it WE will come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll pay the for gas Robin!

Old 04-20-2005, 12:20 PM

I'd never owned a Chrysler and wouldn't own this one if I hadn't known about the Mercedes influence. My father first started chatting at me about the Roadster over a year ago, and my response was, "Yeah, it's a Chrysler, no thanks." And then he was like, duh, Mercedes.

I first saw the Crossfire on the Apprentice and honestly thought it was kind of strange looking.

I saw a Crossfire on the road about 9 months ago and thought it looked much better in person--yes, I was one of the head-craners I now see regularly checking out my car.

I have NEVER seen an ad for this car on television in my market (NY metro--I'm in northern NJ). My boyfriend (in NYC) did call me the other night, while I was away on business in Arizona, to tell me he saw a Crossfire commercial on TV on Thursday night. First time.

People just don't know about this car. But why should we be surprised? The dealer--who I thought was great, honestly, very personable and as helpful as he could be--came right out and told me that he knows next to nothing about it. I have the feeling that these cars sell themselves if they're displayed--they put them out in front, outside, a whole row of them. I bought mine at the end of January. He told me that they would fly out of there come spring. So, you know, why learn a lot about them if they're selling themselves? The problem is that too many people never even see them, it sounds like.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by kmax91
I'd never owned a Chrysler and wouldn't own this one if I hadn't known about the Mercedes influence. My father first started chatting at me about the Roadster over a year ago, and my response was, "Yeah, it's a Chrysler, no thanks." And then he was like, duh, Mercedes.

I first saw the Crossfire on the Apprentice and honestly thought it was kind of strange looking.

I saw a Crossfire on the road about 9 months ago and thought it looked much better in person--yes, I was one of the head-craners I now see regularly checking out my car.

I have NEVER seen an ad for this car on television in my market (NY metro--I'm in northern NJ). My boyfriend (in NYC) did call me the other night, while I was away on business in Arizona, to tell me he saw a Crossfire commercial on TV on Thursday night. First time.

People just don't know about this car. But why should we be surprised? The dealer--who I thought was great, honestly, very personable and as helpful as he could be--came right out and told me that he knows next to nothing about it. I have the feeling that these cars sell themselves if they're displayed--they put them out in front, outside, a whole row of them. I bought mine at the end of January. He told me that they would fly out of there come spring. So, you know, why learn a lot about them if they're selling themselves? The problem is that too many people never even see them, it sounds like.
That is funny I told myself for years and years I would never own a Chrysler as well. I learned a important lesson in life, never say never!

Quick Reply: Car wash story