Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Speed Limiter - taking it to the limit

Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Limiter - taking it to the limit

This is probably not limited to roadsters, but here goes. I have a 2005 roadster, 36K, good maintenance history. Just changed oil Mobil1 and two new air induction filters. New tires all around. Have not had any problems, engine runs like a top.

I have found a good section of four lane, divided highway, light traffic. Anyone out there see any problem easing this baby up to the limit? What should I expect when it approaches the limiter?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Speed Limiter - taking it to the limit

Ask maxcichon, in his case it was 130 in a 70 zone, but he wasn't up to the limit yet
Seriously, if you MUST do this, a bit over 150 would be my guess.
If you survive to tell, let us know so we can brag without actually having to do it

Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problems...I speak from experience. If you put it into manual it will shift it's self, first thur third @ 5800 RPMs. At this time ,is where you will either say ,fast enough or let's just see. In 4th ,if you shift @ 5700 you should be pushing 125 to 130. If you still have room, here's where you start thinking about your mechanical skills. If you are confident in that, 155 mph is where your beast will top out, going down hill you may see 158 and that's all you get! Have fun an if you do it , remember your not the only one out there. Things happen , you see it all the time.(In know way, am I ,or any one else, on this forum saying ,it is OK to ever exceed the maximum posted speed limit set by your local law enforcement agency).

Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I would be concerned about the rag top. I know you can't get above one hundred with an OEM Chrysler bra on the front end. It fits really well, but air gets under it and it tries to get loose. I backed off and saved the bra.
Shortly after purchase, years ago, I got pissed at a bunch of 18 wheelers hogging both lanes, backing up traffic on an interstate. I accelerated and wove around the leaders, after putting some room between us I figured time to easy back; took my foot off the pedal and looked down the gauge was rapidly moving down passing 138. Had no idea I was going that fast. Car handles really well, very stable. I have a coupe, but the rag top up or down is something to consider, and once I got ahead of the 18 wheelers I was all by myself on an interstate.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Right after I got my roadster, I ran it up to 140 with the top up on a lonely straight stretch of 2 lane with no intersections.
Still STUPID, as a dog, cat, deer, armadillo, possum, turtle, etc could have wanted to share the road.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did 130 on a lonely road in AZ in my N/A roadster, top down. I didn't like it. Car was fine though....it coulda done more.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. I just wanted to make sure the car could handle it safely. This stretch of highway is perfect for it. Well paved, wide lanes, very large median, great visibility. I will be careful and tell you all about it.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
No problems...I speak from experience. If you put it into manual it will shift it's self, first thur third @ 5800 RPMs. At this time ,is where you will either say ,fast enough or let's just see. In 4th ,if you shift @ 5700 you should be pushing 125 to 130. If you still have room, here's where you start thinking about your mechanical skills. If you are confident in that, 155 mph is where your beast will top out, going down hill you may see 158 and that's all you get! Have fun an if you do it , remember your not the only one out there. Things happen , you see it all the time.(In know way, am I ,or any one else, on this forum saying ,it is OK to ever exceed the maximum posted speed limit set by your local law enforcement agency).
You do this Steve?
I took mine to 100, ONCE, and it handled VERY WELL. Went around a long curve on RT 24 in MA and guess who was sitting off to the side. YUP, you guessed it, a state trouper. I were a lucky guy.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donsxfire
Thanks for all your inputs. I just wanted to make sure the car could handle it safely. This stretch of highway is perfect for it. Well paved, wide lanes, very large median, great visibility. I will be careful and tell you all about it.
That will be WAY COOL.......

Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch this crossfire on the autobahn :

Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by donsxfire
This is probably not limited to roadsters, but here goes. I have a 2005 roadster, 36K, good maintenance history. Just changed oil Mobil1 and two new air induction filters. New tires all around. Have not had any problems, engine runs like a top.

I have found a good section of four lane, divided highway, light traffic. Anyone out there see any problem easing this baby up to the limit? What should I expect when it approaches the limiter?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
😜 One hell of a ticket! If you get caught!!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Right after I got my roadster, I ran it up to 140 with the top up on a lonely straight stretch of 2 lane with no intersections.
Still STUPID, as a dog, cat, deer, armadillo, possum, turtle, etc could have wanted to share the road.
Came off of a ramp at40 miles per hour 3 miles later I was doing 145 in my 05 ragtop na, 2 in the morning on a 8 Lane Highway 4 on my side 4 on the other side all by my lonesome I figured what the hell good as time as any, I must say car handles like a dream.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tops are rated to 115, I am sure you can get more out of it. I have been to 135, but dont be shocked if it rips up on you.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Thanks for all your inputs. Trenzman, I am planning on doing the run with the top down. I think I will be OK as long as I keep my mouth shut.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Back in 2007 I fell behind some friends when stopping for gas south of the Mackinac Bridge (we were headed to Sault Ste Marie). It was a sunny February day, in the 40s, and I was running with the top down. After I was reasonably north of the bridge there was little traffic and I opened it up and cruised at 130-140 for about 20 miles. She handled beautifully and probably could have gone a little faster, but that was a comfortable "touring" speed. The seat heaters and heater kept us toasty.

A few years later I opened up the SRT6 on some highway west of Grand Rapids and it was passing 150 when I backed off. It still had some "go" remaining.

I don't do this anymore. I know how fast they are, they and I are much older, and I cannot afford the jail time.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

My Graphite saw more than 130 back in 2011 on a lonely piece of I75, I'd checked and knew there was no LEO in the four mile stretch - so I turned around and went for it early on a Sunday morning. The car seemed to "settle into" the road about about 110 or so.

The car FELT like it was comfortable at that speed -but I wasn't. I had to back off just because the legal risk was too much.

Cant remember but I'm pretty sure I had the top up but I can'[t really say for sure.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:28 PM

When i lived in Southern California, i was playing with a Subaru WRX on the freeway and took my 04 Crossfire Limited Automatic to 150mph and it felt like it still wanted to go faster. The WRX matched my speed but neither one of us wanted to go faster so we let off and called it a draw, lol. I heard we top out at 153mph, not sure. Now that i live in Spokane county of Washington, with a 60mph speed limit on the Highway, i probably won't be able to find out, lol. Have fun but most importantly , be safe!!!!

Last edited by 04_Xphire; 12-06-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Misspelled word