Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Random no Crank

Old 07-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Random no Crank

I have a Limited Roadster with a manual transmission. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the car to start. When the key turns you hear the engine trying to fire up but it does not crank. Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor with an OEM one. it made no difference. Looking for advice before throwing more parts and money at it. The dealership was not able to recreate the problem and suggested the replacement of the CPS. I love the car and just need to sort out this quirk.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Random no Crank

Try this.
Before you attempt to engage the starter, turn the key to on position, wait 5 seconds, then off.
Do this twice, then on the third try go ahead and engage starter.
If this always works, then fuel pump / fuel filter.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Try this.
Before you attempt to engage the starter, turn the key to on position, wait 5 seconds, then off.
Do this twice, then on the third try go ahead and engage starter.
If this always works, then fuel pump / fuel filter.
Amazing that some say “no crank” means the engine is not turning at all and others say it turns but does not start.
To me it means the engine does not rotate at all.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Amazing that some say “no crank” means the engine is not turning at all and others say it turns but does not start.
To me it means the engine does not rotate at all.
Exactly. The starter was sometimes called "the cranking motor" in old texts I read as a kid.

Worse, we have a lady on Facebook using the term "Craink" and "engage" in the same sentence. I STILL don't know what is going on with her car and finally gave up and walked away.

Sometimes, the best thing to do is to say, "Go to a dealer or shop, give them the car and keys, leave a blank check, and wait for them to call you. Pay them ANYTHING they ask, cause I can't help you.."

I seldom get to that point, but sometimes it's all a waste of time.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: Random no Crank

Originally Posted by nxtceo
I have a Limited Roadster with a manual transmission. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the car to start. When the key turns you hear the engine trying to fire up but it does not crank. Replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor with an OEM one. it made no difference. Looking for advice before throwing more parts and money at it. The dealership was not able to recreate the problem and suggested the replacement of the CPS. I love the car and just need to sort out this quirk.

Welcome. To car folks; to "crank" means the engine is being "turned over" by the starter when you turn the key. So your car is reluctant to start each time. If a Chrysler dealer replaced your "Cr.P.S." w/oem, (btw: cost was likely too high), then the "relay control module" in our cars are known to have some poor solder joints &/or certain attached relays (switches) fail. Somewhat common, search here, tons of info. on repair/replace. It need not be expensive & avoid dealer, (maybe find a reputable German car repair shop). Online parts sources (Needswings etc.) are good way to go or "Tighed 1" (here) has repaired this part for many. Remove & install is not difficult.
Also, spark plugs should be replaced by mileage/age as recommended. Somewhat difficult. Good luck, plz post back.