Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Tonneau End Extensions Problem

Old 09-22-2018, 02:57 PM
P-J
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tonneau End Extensions Problem

Tried to put my top down yesterday after work and everything was working fine until the tonneau cover tried to lock. It would not retract to its normal position to lock and popped up about two inches in the front. Put the top up no problems, turned off the car and waited for the hydraulic pressure to release. Tried to put the top down again and same issue, put the top up and drove home. When I got home I tried it again but this time I got out of the car to see if I could push it down when I noticed the right extension of the cover was still tucked under the lid. Depressed the top up button, I have the Rudy one touch control installed, and stopped it when it was up about a foot and the extension did not seem to have much tension on it from the spring. I was able to extend it manually and pressed the top down button to complete the process. This worked fine, it was getting dark so I decide I would put the top up and investigate further today. In cycling the top up everything was good until the tonneau cover came down I didn't notice that the right extension did not retract fully and it basically went down into the trunk at 90 degrees until it hit something then the painted plastic insert popped off and I lunged for the switch. To late, when I depressed the top button down I realized that the extension flap got bent severely. In investigating it today I found that the cable had some how come out of the guide for it on the cover extension. I have tried to straighten it out on the car but not enough to get it close to lining up. Has anyone had to replace one of these extensions and if so did you get the part from a Chrysler dealer and/or is there a similar part from a MB that might be available?

Bent right extension

Old 09-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Old 09-24-2018, 09:54 AM
P-J
Default Re: Tonneau End Extensions Problem

Thanks James1549, I took a look at these and I am not sure that they have not experienced a similar issue. Also did a search and there are others that I will investigate further.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM
P-J
Default Re: Tonneau End Extensions Problem

Update to this problem...
I found a replacement end flap for the tonneau cover at https://www.redlineautoparts.com/chr...ossfire-srt-6/ for anyone looking for parts they specialize in a number of different vehicles and may have what you are looking for; they are out of Orlando and their service was great. I installed the new end flap and after cycling the top several times, while observing, the same issue remains, the flap does not extend fully when the top is stored and the tonneau begins to close. The cable is binding and preventing it from extending and now the left side seems to also have this same issue. I tried to get some WD40 down the cable sleeve but without much success. I am going to get the cable oiler that ala_xfire recommend above but I think I am going to have to replace the right side cable. I have a feeling that this is not going to solve the problem as when I extended the flap manually it was binding. Has anyone replaced the right side or both of these cables? if so how do you access the cable to disconnect it from hydraulic mechanism?