Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

ISO Convertible Top Pump and Motor Parts

Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO Convertible Top Pump and Motor Parts

Hello! Have a 2005 Limited Roadster Convertible and need to replace the convertible top motor and pump. Can anyone recommend a place to buy replacement parts? Dealer says we need: Mercedes part #A11938000048 and Mopar #5142638AA. Dealer wants to charge $800 for parts and $270 to install. Looking to lower the bill by finding our own parts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: ISO Convertible Top Pump and Motor Parts

I would try E-bay. What exactly is your top doing, not doing? I wouldn't trust the dealer.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

You took the car to a dealer and now you need a new pump? I've been a part of this community ten years, owned three Roadsters, never seen a pump go bad.

Sounds like typical dealer lack of diagnostic ability: "Its a complicated Mercedes system, we do not know anything about how it works, we don't know how to do diagnostics - so, lets throw expensive parts at it until it works".

I'd bet next month's rent that once you replace the parts, it still won't work. As you were asked above, what is it doing or not doing?

Read my sigline.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Waterwren
Hello! Have a 2005 Limited Roadster Convertible and need to replace the convertible top motor and pump. Can anyone recommend a place to buy replacement parts? Dealer says we need: Mercedes part #A11938000048 and Mopar #5142638AA. Dealer wants to charge $800 for parts and $270 to install. Looking to lower the bill by finding our own parts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
What it’s doing: When the back window folds towards the back seat and the convertible cover comes out of the trunk, the cover runs into the top and you have to pull the top forward to let the cover go past. When the convertible top folds down into the trunk, it hesitates as if it doesn’t have enough power to pull it down into the trunk. The motor runs intermittently and revs higher and you have to gently push it down into the trunk. When you put the top up the back window doesn’t latch completely and seal the window against the body.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you had to add any hydraulic fluid to the pump reservoir?

Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

It does sound like low fluid. Do a search on this site and find lots of info.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Sure sounds like low fluid to me, too.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Many thanks to everyone who has responded, I appreciate your time and recommendations! I have been searching this site for more information or better yet, a video on how to remove the trunk trim to access the hydraulic reservoir. Saw a post from pizzaguy that says fill level should be half full and is correct amount because it will show higher once the top is done moving and the pressure is released. So if my reservoir is low, only fill to half full? Also, is Pentosin CHF-11S the best hydraulic fluid to use?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

There is a fill mark on the pump tank, and yes Pentosin CHF-11S is the correct fluid.
Use a turkey basting syringe.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterwren
Many thanks to everyone who has responded, I appreciate your time and recommendations! I have been searching this site for more information or better yet, a video on how to remove the trunk trim to access the hydraulic reservoir. Saw a post from pizzaguy that says fill level should be half full and is correct amount because it will show higher once the top is done moving and the pressure is released. So if my reservoir is low, only fill to half full? Also, is Pentosin CHF-11S the best hydraulic fluid to use?
I'll let the experts chime in on details. My top wasn't working when I bought my car. I tried adding additional Pentosin fluid. I could see a glimmer of life in the movement of the top, but it stopped immediately and I could see hydraulic fluid had leaked from the two main lifting cylinders. I took those two off and sent them to Top Hydraulics for rebuilding. Everything worked perfectly after I got the two cylinders back and reinstalled them and filled the reservoir to half-full. Haven't touched it since then.

As Pizzaguy has often said, the hydraulic fluid is not consumed and doesn't evaporate. As a result, if you're low, there's a reason.