Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Fixed non-operating top & spoiler with $2 switch, thanks to this forum

Old 01-27-2022, 02:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed non-operating top & spoiler with $2 switch, thanks to this forum

Long time lurker here and finally in early December decided to buy my own Christmas present, a 2008 Crossfire LTD, Blaze Red Crystal Pearl LTD convertible with 54k miles. Upon inspection at the dealership I noticed the spoiler light on center dash switch blinking no spoiler operation and also the top and windows did nothing after releasing the top D-ring. Having done some reading on here before shopping I knew this could be a low cost sensor/switch problem or something much more expensive. Used these problems and the fact a convertibles don't sell well in the winter in central Illinois to negotiate an acceptable deal.

Using the forum troubleshooting information, a lot of it from pizzaguy (thank you), i was able to determine my problem was likely the spoiler closed limit switch. What an easy fix I thought until I realized the OEM switch was no longer available. So I went shopping for a similar switch that might work. I found an Omron Snap switch D2S-01L13-AQ that is close and after installing it is working fine. The holes in the Omron switch are at the same CL as the pins on the factory switch and using two 3-48 - 1/2 in screws as guide pins I was able secure the switch with a little glue to the bracket.(you could put washer & nuts on screws but would need to remove the bracket). It did take a little sanding of the one end of the switch to fit in the bracket.

Some images below (Again, thanks for all the helpful information on this forum)

ABOVE Omron D2S-01L13-AQ SNAP SUBMINIATURE SWITCH
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOVE Old OEM spoiler closed limit switch
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOVE New Omron installed for spoiler closed limit switch

ABOVE Old OEM on Top new Omron on bottom - pins from old OEM inserted in holes of new Omron switch

The following 3 users liked this post by bucker:
CROSSFIRERUSH (03-21-2022), GraphiteGhost (03-06-2022), Haydyn (03-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Fixed non-operating top & spoiler with $2 switch, thanks to this forum

Wow, lots of creativity and ingenuity on this forum. As most XFs pass 17 years, I am afraid some of the smaller oem bits will be unavailable. This may deserve a sticky thread of it's own dedicated to "substitute" parts.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Fixed non-operating top & spoiler with $2 switch, thanks to this forum

bucker,
I have the same problem with spoiler and top. Where is this switch located?

MCPO

Old 03-06-2022, 09:10 AM
Received 396 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by bucker
Long time lurker here and finally in early December decided to buy my own Christmas present, a 2008 Crossfire LTD, Blaze Red Crystal Pearl LTD convertible with 54k miles. Upon inspection at the dealership I noticed the spoiler light on center dash switch blinking no spoiler operation and also the top and windows did nothing after releasing the top D-ring. Having done some reading on here before shopping I knew this could be a low cost sensor/switch problem or something much more expensive. Used these problems and the fact a convertibles don't sell well in the winter in central Illinois to negotiate an acceptable deal.

Using the forum troubleshooting information, a lot of it from pizzaguy (thank you), i was able to determine my problem was likely the spoiler closed limit switch. What an easy fix I thought until I realized the OEM switch was no longer available. So I went shopping for a similar switch that might work. I found an Omron Snap switch D2S-01L13-AQ that is close and after installing it is working fine. The holes in the Omron switch are at the same CL as the pins on the factory switch and using two 3-48 - 1/2 in screws as guide pins I was able secure the switch with a little glue to the bracket.(you could put washer & nuts on screws but would need to remove the bracket). It did take a little sanding of the one end of the switch to fit in the bracket.

Some images below (Again, thanks for all the helpful information on this forum)

ABOVE Omron D2S-01L13-AQ SNAP SUBMINIATURE SWITCH

ABOVE Old OEM spoiler closed limit switch

ABOVE New Omron installed for spoiler closed limit switch

ABOVE Old OEM on Top new Omron on bottom - pins from old OEM inserted in holes of new Omron switch

STICKY! GREAT detective work!

The following users liked this post:
CROSSFIRERUSH (03-21-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 09:18 AM
Received 350 Likes on 309 Posts

Where did you purchase the switch?

Old 03-06-2022, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Where did you purchase the switch?

SEARCH is your friend (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Omron+Snap...1L13-AQ&ia=web)! Pick one, or three?

Old 03-06-2022, 10:39 AM
Received 350 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks

Old 03-06-2022, 11:16 AM

I just ordered the same switch $.69 plus 10.00 shipping. Hope it works for me also.Thanks,
MCPO

Old 03-06-2022, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MCPO
bucker,
I have the same problem with spoiler and top. Where is this switch located?

MCPO
The spoiler lowering switch is located on the underside of the trunk lid being pointed at with the screwdriver in the image below.

To determine if this switch is your problem remove the brown wire connector and use a jumper wire, as shown in photo to simulate a closed circuit across the connector. See photo with jumper wire below. With jumper wire in place the BCM now sees a closed switch signal and believes the spoiler is in the lowered position and it is ok to lower the top. Turn on your car and unlatch the roof D ring. As you do this you should see the windows go down and top should work. If the window do not move you have some other problem. This sub minature switch is subject to a lot of contact wear because it is closed all the time you are driving and the spoiler is down. I purchased the switch from JAMECO but as others have pointed out there are additional sources.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:52 PM

Switch is located under trunk lid (black cover removed). Screwdriver in image below pointing to location

You can use a jumper wire as shown below to make the BCM think the spoiler closed/down switch is closed (spoiler is in lowered position). With this jumper in place turn on your car and use the D ring on the top to open it. If this switch is your issue the windows will automatically lower when you twist the d-ring and pop up the top. The BCM logic will not let the top lower if it is not seeing a switch closed signal from spoiler down limit switch and the trunk closed limit switch.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:14 PM

bucker,
Thank for the info. Spring is coming in Minnesota so I can get my crossfire out and on the streets. The car runs great only the spoiler and top are my problems.
Stayl tuned!

MCPOI

CaughtInaXF (04-23-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 04:12 PM

bucker,
I owe you a big thanks for alerting me to this information/
.I had a spoiler not working and followed you instructions. I Purchased the microswitch you recommended from JAMECO for 79 cents, installed it and my spoiler works great. Can't even begin to imagine what a chrysler dealer would have charged me.

All the best,

MCPO

GraphiteGhost (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 05:09 PM

bucker,
I owe you a big thanks for alerting me to this information... Can't even begin to imagine what a chrysler dealer would have charged me.

All the best,

MCPO

That fee would have greatly depended on if they had an honest competent qualified tech AND the dealership wasn't pushing 'bottom-line, throwing parts on it' until you are either a satisfied customer OR wound up paying through the nose/trading it in as scrap. THIS is why this forum is the best I have ever been in/on for support.

MCPO (07-06-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 10:20 AM

bucker,
I owe you a big thanks for alerting me to this information/
.I had a spoiler not working and followed you instructions. I Purchased the microswitch you recommended from JAMECO for 79 cents, installed it and my spoiler works great. Can't even begin to imagine what a chrysler dealer would have charged me.

All the best,

MCPO
MCPO,
Thanks for the nice comment. Glad I was able to help. It's nice to have the spoiler working. If you had taken it to a Chrysler dealer with competent mechanic, who did a proper diagnosis, he would have determined it needs part "Wiring Assembly: PN 5161967-AA" and it has been discontinued. This forum is a great resource.

MCPO (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 11:04 AM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

You used your head, that is something sadly lacking in this world a lot of times.