Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Driving In The Winter, What To Keep In Mind?

Old 10-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving In The Winter, What To Keep In Mind?

I'm going to be driving my car in the winter, what do I need to know/ Do?

Old 10-17-2023, 12:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Driving In The Winter, What To Keep In Mind?

The RWD Crossfire has no weight over the rear end and wide rear tires, so you will likely encounter low- to no-traction situations.

Possible solutions include putting bags of kitty litter in the hatch or, better, getting a set of winter wheels and tires.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Mass this is my second winter with the XF. Not much snow for us last year so didn't drive in those conditions a lot. Couple thoughts below. There is also a winter driving tips post located on the forum outside of the roadster section that is helpful.

- Winter tires (Continental Viking Contact is what I have)
- Add weight to trunk.
- Wash body and undercarriage at least 1x per week to get rid of salt. More if the conditions call for it.
- Keep the top clear of snow/slush build up to avoid excess weight/stress on it.
- Keep the windshield washer fluid topped off
- New wiper blades
- Drive safe and avoid driving in bad conditions if you can.
- Keep up on recommended maintenance.

Old 10-17-2023, 05:34 PM
Received 396 Likes on 340 Posts

Great advice so far. All I can add is DON'T DRIVE IT! If an EMERGENCY all bets are off (and every precaution as well). Slow and safe will get you there. If a DD, extra weight in the *** end helps, no quick pedals (any of them). Good luck!

Old 10-17-2023, 07:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Generalization here and may not apply to you.
Most younger people have learned how to drive on front wheel drive cars.
Crossfire is rear wheel drive and is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from front wheel drive in slippery winter conditions.
Get the car prepared...... but are you prepared?
Find a snowy slippery big empty parking lot to learn how your car handles when it breaks loose in the rear.
Better to find out there than on the road.

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 08:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would buy a collapsible snow shovel, along with a bag of kitty litter to keep in car. Most of the problems I had with my last ear drive car were backing out of parking spots. Clear a little snow and some kitty litter under tires gets you out.

M60A3Driver (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 11:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Also 'engine braking' ...the process of slowing down a vehicle by stepping off the accelerator and downshifting gears instead of pressing on the brake pedal.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Drove in winter conditions once. Would never do it again.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:17 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Agree with finding an empty lot and practicing start, stop, turning. Definitely learn to countersteer (steer into the slide) when the rear end starts to come around. You do not mention if autostick, but if it is flip the switch next to the stick to "W" (winter) so it starts in second for less wheel spin. Good luck on any MA hills.

I test drove a Crossfire in January 2005 on a packed snow backroad in Grand Haven MI. It actually handled well with all-season as long as I was judicious with the throttle. Never drove the roadster in the snow after it was delivered in April 2005.

My SRT6 was driven by the salesman from Chicago to Holland MI in Jan 2008 and he arrived in a snowstorm. My street had at least 6" of snow with some drifting, so the neighbors helped me push him to my house and up my driveway. The SRT6 has never seen snow again either.

GraphiteGhost (10-23-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:38 AM
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Agree with finding an empty lot and practicing start, stop, turning. Definitely learn to countersteer (steer into the slide) when the rear end starts to come around. You do not mention if autostick, but if it is flip the switch next to the stick to "W" (winter) so it starts in second for less wheel spin. Good luck on any MA hills.

I test drove a Crossfire in January 2005 on a packed snow backroad in Grand Haven MI. It actually handled well with all-season as long as I was judicious with the throttle. Never drove the roadster in the snow after it was delivered in April 2005.

My SRT6 was driven by the salesman from Chicago to Holland MI in Jan 2008 and he arrived in a snowstorm. My street had at least 6" of snow with some drifting, so the neighbors helped me push him to my house and up my driveway. The SRT6 has never seen snow again either.
Drove two rear wheel drive cars in Germany in the winter. Never a problem really. You just have to be cognizant of not speeding or accelerating quickly. I would turn off any sprint booster if you have one and I'd also set the switch by the shifter to Winter Mod so it starts in 2nd gear and shifts to higher gears sooner. Less wheel spin. You will be fine just go slow and be careful. I would not want the salt on the streets eat up my car. I'd probably rinse it more often than usual and just spray the under carriage.
I'd also keep more distant to vehicles in front of me because in the winter sometimes vehicles kick up more little rocks in the street. Lastly I don't know if this is a common thing in the US and/or legal but we would use chains in the mountains. You'd throw them on if driving through right mountains terrain.
I know there used to be spikes in Europe back in the day but they had already been banned when I was there. Take everyone's advice and just practice in a parking lot a little bit.
I also recommend (to anyone) a safe driver course...one of those where you really learn to drive your car and where you drive over platform with water that makes your car break our and you need to get it back under control. Was definitely a cool day and improved my driving years ago when I took it and prepared me for what to do if I ever lose control of the vehicle.