Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 16

It's your money. My guess is you have way too much of it if you're willing to buy your 16 year old son an SRT-6. The idea seems foolish to me. Teach your kid some real values and let him earn it. If this seems harsh to you, you may just save him from being considered spoiled or having to deal with the jealous remarks and actions of his peer group.

Peace!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Forum Regular

just a note to say I totaled my first 3 cars before 18 years of age, and if I owned an SRT6 back then I probably be dead. all though I never did smash my triumph spitfire that I owned, came close though. it really was a go cart made for adults and my father did not want to sell it to me because he thought for sure I would kill myself in it. an SRT6 with all that horsepower, and all the drifting movies to influence the young kids today I would not give my son a high performance car. it does depend on the individual and where their mind set is, and glad the 16 year old has enough maturity to keep his intact and to make it to 17 so far is good. maybe the two should talk to each other and compare maturity levels, before dad goes and buys it. it must be nice to have that kind of money, wish my dad did back then. hell I won't even let my 22 year old son drive my SRT6 just a thought.

KEVIN

Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a v8 camaro when i was 16 never crashed it. then i got the srt6 when i was 18 and i never crashed it. i paid for both of them, so i treated them good but i still had alot of fun with it. i really beat on the srt6 alot more then the camaro. i would so go for it if you think you can trust him to drive it. do you have a fast car he could drive around with you and see how he does with it. responsibility is important but its how good of a drive he is that really counts. i don't want to sound like i'm bragging but i'm a really good drive compared to alot of kids my age and i can easy handle these cars and even faster ones. so i hate seeing these types of threads saying oh he is 16 or 17 or 18 years old that means that he will crash it for sure, unless you get him a car that's under 150 hp or is 20 feet long. so it really is how good of a drive he is.

Last edited by 05blacksrt6; 09-26-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
It's your money. My guess is you have way too much of it if you're willing to buy your 16 year old son an SRT-6. The idea seems foolish to me. Teach your kid some real values and let him earn it. If this seems harsh to you, you may just save him from being considered spoiled or having to deal with the jealous remarks and actions of his peer group.

Peace!
I agree. This is the opportunity to teach work ethic and responsibility.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

05blacksrt6.

It's not how good the driver is... it's how responsible they are. You can be a professional race car driver and be excellent in handling cars, but if you are irresponsible, you will eventually wreck a car... statistics prove that people between 16 and 25 are more irresponsible than people over 25, especially men.

I remember when I was 18 and had my first V8... boy I'm glad that car handled crappy... or I would have gotten into LOTS of trouble... and probably wrecked it.

I can 'play' now, but I know when to 'play' and when not to. Wisdom is the key.

Age a terrible price to pay for maturity.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05blacksrt6
i got a v8 camaro when i was 16 never crashed it. then i got the srt6 when i was 18 and i never crashed it. i paid for both of them, so i treated them good but i still had alot of fun with it. i really beat on the srt6 alot more then the camaro. i would so go for it if you think you can trust him to drive it. do you have a fast car he could drive around with you and see how he does with it. responsibility is important but its how good of a drive he is that really counts. i don't want to sound like i'm bragging but i'm a really good drive compared to alot of kids my age and i can easy handle these cars and even faster ones. so i hate seeing these types of threads saying oh he is 16 or 17 or 18 years old that means that he will crash it for sure, unless you get him a car that's under 150 hp or is 20 feet long. so it really is how good of a drive he is.
I would say that you are the exception that makes the rule. Obviously,
there are some 16 year olds who are more mature than some 30 year
olds, but these are rare and hard to find. Hope you have many accident
free years. Good luck.

Coyote

Old 09-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular

Try this,

(I am assuming he is responsible for 16, and isn't getting it for joy riding or drinking with his pals, showing off, etc... They are really nice vehicles for the money).

Make a legal binding contract between you and your son. The contract will include his portion of gas/insurance/maintenance that he must pay to maintain the car. His agreement to be responsible with the car, not to get tickets, and to use it wisely... etc etc... you get the point. Include some sort of penalty clause for 1st ticket, 2nd ticket, wrecks... etc... Incur penalties and a paternal "repo" if things get out of hand and responsibility wanes...

You sign, he signs. Monitor... adjust agreement to real in son or give more lee-way over time... You never know until you try ... Depends upon your trust level with the kid... You know his history, we all don't. So I personally can't recommend anything beyond that unless I meet with the kid and get to know him...

And, you can adopt me at any point, if your son fails in his commitment to do drive responsibly... I will take real good care of that thing, really... Contact me via PM if you want my address to send the adoption paperwork.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 PM

ok,
i would say, if you have a good responsible kid, why not. lets just put it this way, i'm a 16 year old girl and i love the car. i would never pick anything different. i love the way it drives and it seems pretty safe to me. my only question is why a srt. i mean, lets put it into perspective, he's a boy and we know what boys do. but if you trust him take the plunge, my parents did it for me! i mean i have raced before a couple times, but that's just being a kid, you can't prevent it form happening. lots of luck to ya!

oh yeah, no distractions from the people in the back seat...i love it. i'm gonna be weird and say, follow your instincts.
and if you do get it for him, he won't want to crash it because he'll love it. lol. at least that's how i think when i'm driving..

-jane

Last edited by j-biyzle; 09-26-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:23 PM

I think the point has pretty much been put across...

"Floor it man!!!" lol.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular

I wonder what has happened to andshesaid. They make one post, and then we don't hear anything more from them. So did they buy one, buy something else, what?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Toy
I wonder what has happened to andshesaid. They make one post, and then we don't hear anything more from them. So did they buy one, buy something else, what?
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I was wondering if the whole thread wasn't bogus right from the start. It seemed like a pretty strange question for someone old enough to have a 16 year old to ask, since the answer was so painfully obvious. Plus they signed up the same day they posted their question and that has been the one and only question that they asked, and they haven't been back on line since.
It was interesting hearing everybody's comments though, whether the thread was for real or not.
Have we all been duped?

Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM

maybe he realized how stupid of a question it was...