Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Ecu Upgrades?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ecu Upgrades?

This is my first post, I have an SRT6 and I've been looking at an ECU upgrade. I've contacted RENNTech and they have told me that just an ECU upgrade will not really gain much in HP without buying their pulley set too. I've also contacted UPsolute and they told me $400 send in my ECU and gain about 30 HP. I've also contacted a few other places and I am waiting for replies. I was wondering if any of you SRT6 guy's have done an upgrade, what was the name of the company, could you tell much difference in horse power and of course how much did it cost?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ecu Upgrades?

Do you really think it needs it?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 PM

Well, it probably really don't, but in the words of Tim The Tool Man Taylor "MORE POWER" Ha! To be honest I really haven’t driven it much, it has less than 1K on it, I did just order a Sprint Booster for it. I've been driving my '04 coupe that I have on lease trying to get miles on it, it only has 29K on it and it goes back in July and the lease is for 45K. I'm gonna hate giving them back about 8 or 9K. I was just testing the waters on any advice on ECU upgrades from the SRT6 guys.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to Eracer76. He did the Renntech ECU and Pulley upgrade. This is what I will be doing in the spring as well. He saw great results in the 1/4 mile.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:26 PM

I don't want to put that much $$$ in it, RENNTech say's about $3,000 for about 65 hp for the kit and UPsolute say's $400 for a ECU at about 30 hp.

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 12-18-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 PM

I'd have to see proof of that. I saw the 1/4 mile times from the track with the Renntech kit, so I know that is legit. 30 hp for $400.00...I just find that hard to believe.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ many long threads on the upsolute chip... and its "so-called" 30 hp... no proven dyno of these numbers. even after multiple requests from upsolute.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by andrew
~ many long threads on the upsolute chip... and its "so-called" 30 hp... no proven dyno of these numbers. even after multiple requests from upsolute.
I am with you, without dyno #s my money is staying in my pocket.

ED

Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 AM

I did e-mail the person from UPsolute back, and told them that there had been a guy from UPsolute on the forum trying to get members to get together and do a group buy. I also told him that the members wanted proof of the HP gains, like a dyno sheet but he did not provide anything so nobody that I knew of was willing to do the upgrade without proof. I did read somewhere in the forum that someone did get a upgrade from UPsolute for a regular xfire coupe and they posted that they could tell a difference. I did also try to e-mail a Jesse person at Evosport I believe, but got back a undeliverable message, I had read somewhere in the forum about him doing ECU upgrades, and that he was a good person to deal with. I did get a phone # from the thread that I was reading about him, but have yet to try to call him.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:55 PM

What about this one that I just saw on Ebay??? Anybody heard of this one or tried it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2621021&rd=1,1

Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM

I had seen this on ebay, looks like they are claiming 35 horse power for the SRT6. I have been talking with Renntech and they are telling me that it is impossible to get over 12 to 15 horse power out of an SRT6 with just an ECU upgrade. That's why I had done the original post asking if there were any SRT6 guy's out there that had done just a ECU upgrade to see what they thought about it. I had also been e-mailing Upsolute back and forth for a couple day's and when I asked for some type of documentation, proof or a dyno sheet, I've not heard a thing back from them. I looked at the sellers feed back and there were seven pages of great feed back, but who knows if any of them were SRT6 Crossfires. I will probably do a ask the seller a question and see if he can put me in touch with an SRT6 customer that they have done a chip for.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 PM

Hey huperoptik, about that Inmotion ECU on e-bay. I contacted the seller and asked if they had done any SRT6 Crossfires and if so could they give me a way to contact the person to see what their opinion of the upgrade was. This is what I got back if anyone is interested:

Hello,

I cannot give out the email addresses of my clients without their consent. We have setup a Forum on our website that allows you to communicate with customers directly:
http://inmotionusa.com/phpBB2/index.php

Maximum HP increase after tuning is 10%.

I look forward to exceeding your expectations.

Gunter Heckman
www.inmotiontuning.com

I joined this little forum and made a post asking if anybody with an SRT6 or a SLK32 have had them do a chip, now I guess I'll wait for any replies. I'm wondering if this forum is even real, I looked through it some and if it's real people seam to be happy with their product.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Just looked at it as well, but I did not see your post. I will go back in and look. I also emailed them and this is the response that I received.

Hello,

If you would like to dyno your car before and after the tuning I will chip tune it at no charge. I require only that the car be run on a DYNOJET unit and I must have copies of the .run files from the dyno's computer. All of our Dyno information is from a European dyno set to PS and NM.

Gunter Heckman
www.inmotiontuning.com

Old 12-22-2006, 04:18 PM

huperopik, I tiltled the thread "Searching" I think and used '05 SRT6 as user name.
The above is correct and I posted in the Q/A section, this is what I asked:
I am searching for someone that has had a supercharged SRT6 Crossfire or a SLK32 Mercedes ECU upgrade by Inmotion to get their opnion. I have talked with a Crossfire, ( non-supercharged SRT6) just a regular coupe owner that has had a ECU upgrade and they have a problem with spark knock. I've been playing with cars since I was a kid, (30 years) and I know spark knock will heat up your pistons and possiably damage them. With the heating of the pistons on a supercharged motor it would transfer to it and the intercooler would have trouble cooling it. Or is there anyone that has used a Inmotion ECU in any other supercharged cars. I would greatly appreciate any input.
The only reply so far is from Inmotion, and it was:
Hello,
The most common causes of Spark knock are Low fuel quality, Wrong spark plugs or heat range, and a lean condition. Make sure you consider these factors before you chip tune your vehicle. Not only do we work with our buyers to solve these issues, it is possible to adjust the tuning for these factors.
INMotionUSA
I don't mesn to knock RENNtech but, the SRT6 supercharger I hear pushes 15 PSI stock, does anyone know what they push with the RENNtech pulley upgrade, I would think anything over 18 to 20 PSI would not be safe for the engine. I just don't think in my opnion that 3 or 4 more PSI could make up the difference of 25 to 30 HP that RENNtech is claiming with the pulley & ECU kit over just an ECU upgrade

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 12-26-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:55 AM

As they say...In the end, you get what you pay for.

I believe this, because I've learned the hard way on previous cars long ago.
So with the SRT-6, I did my research, lots of research on many forums, most of which were MB forums and I decided to go with Renntech.
I bit the bullet and spent the $3k and needless to say, I couldn't be happier!

I've heard the SRT-6 puts out around 13 - 15 psi and Renntech says you get about a 3-4 psi gain...
3-4 may not sound like much, but it really is when it comes to HP.
My previous SRT-4 was pushing 25 psi on the stock engine with an aftermarket turbo, which put down 420 hp on the dyno.
When I would drop the psi to 20 for everyday use, it was a HUGE difference in performance.

I have no doubt in my mind that 3-4 psi on the SRT-6 gains about 25 hp and with the ECU flash which is tuned to run that 3-4 psi increase,
it could easily be a 35-40 hp total gain.
Im not worried at all about it hurting the engine either, 3-4 psi isn't squat considering the AMG engine in this car is built much better right
out of the factory with forged internals.
If my old Dodge SRT-4 could stand 25 psi on the stock block/head, Im sure this engine can take 18 psi just fine.

As for just doing an ECU upgrade, I would find it very hard to believe anyone getting more then 20 hp from it.
The car is tuned very good from the factory, as most AMG engines are, and the gains are just not there to be found.
When you add the pulleys though, you add boost, which adds more HP then any stand alone ECU flash could ever do,
but IMO adding pulleys requires an ECU flash to keep it running safe with the added boost, which will give you the best results.
That is one of the reasons why I went with Renntech, they tune the ECU to work with their pulleys/added boost.

Granted I have some other small HP add ons like plugs/wires and K&N filters, I couldn't be happier with the car...after all, I pulled off (4) 1.8 60 ft times at the track out of (5) runs on stock PS2 tires, all of which were 12.8 or better in the 1/4 mile with my best run below...
I think the numbers speak for themselves and proves the Renntech package is working, and my butt dyno says so too.

Last edited by Eracer76; 12-27-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:25 AM

Here is the thread from when I sent in the ECU and bought the package, I also posted pics of the kit.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=11064

BTW, I rolled over the 1,000 mile mark while taking it for the test drive after the install. LOL.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:11 AM
Forum Regular

I agree with Eracer, don't go cheap with these cars, you will pay for it in the end... and without warranty, the labor alone will murder you. Eracer and My65Cuda are the ones that appear to have done this with good success. My65cuda recently sold his SRT6 though, and has a stable of other cars to keep him busy. But, he may answer now and then. Renntech and ECU/pulley change will let you sleep at night.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Well I've decided to take the plunge and go with a Renntech pulley & ECU up grade. I've been talking with Renntech off and on for a couple weeks about their kit. One of the biggest problems right now was the affordability at this moment, (all payment out) two Xfire payments, Harley payment, house payment and I just bought a new '06 Kawasaki 4x4 610 mule witch drained my expendable cash. So I'm going to do it the American way, I applied for a new Visa Platinum card with a 0% introductory offer for 15 billing cycles. Kind of like a 0% loan for a year and I'll just pay what I can on it till July when the leased Xfire goes back, then I should be able to pay it off before the 0% financing runs out. I would like to hear from any of you SRT6 guy's that have installed a Renntech kit with any advice. A few things I'd like to know, how hard is it to get the ECU out, do you have to drop the cover under the engine out? I have a friend with a lift and was wondering if I should take it to his place to do the job. Or is most of the work done from the top side? I would appreciate any advice.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

PM Eracer76... He has threads right above yours regarding the Renntech... My65Cuda had one too but he sold his SRT6 to concentrate on his big power Hemi truck. Run a search for "Renntech" and I'm sure you will find others...

Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Let me know how it all goes. I have seen the results from Eracer and would like to hear yours as well. I am planning on doing the same upgrade in the spring.

Quick Reply: Ecu Upgrades?