Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SL55 Y-Pipe vs. Stock SRT Y-Pipe (for intake, not intercooler)

Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SL55 Y-Pipe vs. Stock SRT Y-Pipe (for intake, not intercooler)

Hey guys, here's a comparison between the stock and the SL55 Y-Pipe (aka intake air distributor).

The stock inlet rubber tubes will fit onto the SL55 Y-Pipe, but BARELY - it takes a lot of work to get them on. However, the SL55 Y is about 2" shorter, per side, than the factory pipe. This makes the stock hoses 2" short per side as well...so, in short, they SL55 Y-Pipe wont fit without modification or other parts (which I knew - but no one could tell me exactly what needed to be done to MAKE it fit).

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to make this fit. I can probably cut the stock rubber tubes in half and install a spacer, which would work...but I'd rather find another way that does not require cutting.

I'll keep you posted.

FYI - here's a few pics to show the comparison between the stock Y-Pipe and the SL55, quite a bit of difference!

You can see the difference in depth (more volume) and overal diameter, it is also a more gradual 'Y' so the air isn't running into itself quite as abruptly.

This wont yield much power - no where near the NeedsWings intake system...but may be a decent alternative for those who want to keep their engine cover and air boxes.

This is going on a friend's car. He wants dual intake tubes similar to the needswings, but retaining the engine cover and stock air boxes...we'll see what he comes up with.

I am likely still gping to use the NeedsWings intake when money allows.

SQ

Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Default Re: SL55 Y-Pipe vs. Stock SRT Y-Pipe (for intake, not intercooler)

Shawn,

It will be interesting to see how you fab it all up.

I have a quote comming my way for all the parts necessary to upgrade my ride with:

1) A complete SL55 AMG V8 intake system. Air boxes, K&N filters, Y-pipe, air hoses etc..

2) A 185mm Overdrive Crank Pulley (with all the fixin's) to provide 25% SC boot.

Now that headers are out for the near future, if the price is right - I will order both this week.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 PM

Is the pulley a stock AMG pulley, or a custom made unit?

I'd like more info on it (including price).

At this point - the co-worker of mine who wants this done would like to run dual intakes, but less restrictive, with cones mounted up front like the needswings kit.

BUT, he wants to run the tubes through or under the stock airboxes so that the car looks somewhat factory with the factory engine cover and lids (aside from the new tubes going where the old intake tubes/snorkels are). You could cut out the lower side of the air boxes and let a pipe pass through or under it, but you'd ruin the boxes if you wanted to go back to stock for some reason. Tough to explain. I'm trying to help him with it, but it may be tough without access to a tig welder, bender, and trying to keep it cheap...

SQ

Old 11-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Is the pulley a stock AMG pulley, or a custom made unit?

I'd like more info on it (including price).

At this point - the co-worker of mine who wants this done would like to run dual intakes, but less restrictive, with cones mounted up front like the needswings kit.

BUT, he wants to run the tubes through or under the stock airboxes so that the car looks somewhat factory with the factory engine cover and lids (aside from the new tubes going where the old intake tubes/snorkels are). You could cut out the lower side of the air boxes and let a pipe pass through or under it, but you'd ruin the boxes if you wanted to go back to stock for some reason. Tough to explain. I'm trying to help him with it, but it may be tough without access to a tig welder, bender, and trying to keep it cheap...

SQ
Shawn,

I want the SL55 Y pipe. The set up on mine will allow me to hook right up to my tubes as long as it bolts right on the SRT intake. Is that the case? Do you have a PN # off the tube so I could order one?

You may be surprised and it may gain more than what you think for wide open throttle. The air is fighting itself to get into the intake especially with the small Y on the SRT.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Steve,

see the thread I just made regarding the install.

part # is at the bottom

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...442#post169442

FYI - the SL55 Pipe is not perfect rounded, it is oval, and I believe a 3" coupler will fit it if it will flex. Keep this in mind.

Also - not sure what you mean by 'bolts right to the SRT6 intake'...if you mean the throttle body, then yes it snaps right to it. It requires extras to mount it to the air boxes though. However, I believe you are using your own CAI (if I remember correctly), so you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Hope this helps.

SQ