Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

How to build a fast Crossfire

Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to build a fast Crossfire

I have noticed there are far too many people on this site wondering if this car is modable and some that are even discrediting most mods even though most of these people have not even attempted these mods. I did alot VERY quickly on this car and EVERYTHING i have done has made the car faster and faster. This is a guide sort of speak to show somebody how to build a low 12 second crossfire for around 2 grand! I really hope this entry can become a sticky or something that way people can read it and see the FACTS and not opinions.

1. Breaking the car in -
My crossfire had less than 100 miles on it when I bought it. I broke my car in by topping her out before she even hit 200 miles. I was between 155-160 several times and drove the car hard ALL the time. There is a million opinions on breaking in but I though I would just share with everyone how I did mine. I have always done this on anything new I have purchased and have never blown anything up.

2. The next thing I did was a get a baseline on the car and took her to the track. The car ran 13.2@103 if I remember correctly the first time out. At that time there was only 1,200ish miles on her. I had the resonator removed shortly after that track session.

3. I then ordered the needswings cold air intake and put several hundred miles on her very quickly before I went to the track. I knew the car was faster and ran a 12.9@106 with the intake.

4. I then ordered the ASP pulleys (331380) and put several hundred miles on her as well. The car felt twice as fast right away but gained even more with miles. I ran a 12.3@110 with that added.

5. I then sent my ECU into InMotion tuning and had a custom tune done for $500. I went to the track again and ran a 12.2@113 with that added.

Here is the cost breakdown:

Resonator Removed: $150
Intake: $500
Pulley's: $1,000
Tuning: $500

I went from 13.2@103 to 12.2@113 with those above mods and thats a fact.

If you have a standard crossfire (non srt) the fastest way to get a fast car is to trade in on an SRT. No disrespect intended but some of you guys have spend thousands on the non srt model in attempts to build a faster car when it would have been cheaper just to trade in most likely. Even the fastest highly modded non srt xfire runs low 14's high 13's best which even a stock SRT will easily spank.

As far as dynoing goes I say the hell with it. It's good for tuning and thats about it. Let the track show you what she's got.

I hope this helps everyone and if anyone was offended I want to apologize in advance. The point of the above is to provide clarity on the modding potential of the car. If you think the srt is fun stock just wait until you mod it with some or all of the above. There is few feelings better than having such a sleeper and beating unsuspecting "other" sports cars so badly they go back to the dealer just to get there motor checked out...

Last edited by Chi-Town SRT/6; 11-14-2007 at 05:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chi-Town SRT/6:
a.romdiaz (09-24-2021), British2 (09-22-2021)
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Re: How to build a fast Crossfire

I think this post really sums it up and the track is proof of that. I read all the "what if "and "how can I " mod my car threads on this forum and this one post should be made the official "how to" post for the SRT6 owners. If anyone can do better then they can return here and post their mods and times. For now it appears you hold the official speed record so congratulations to you for that and I feel privileged to live so close to you and know that my ride is in the future.
Then I can at least say I rode in the "Fastest Crossfire".

Gary

Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Chi-Town,

Thanks for taking the time to buy, install and baseline these mods and provide us the write ups.

I am sure you will break into the 11 Sec. group next season. (maybe some 100 octane racing fuel?)

All your work and results got me so boned up that I ordered an air intake system, 185 mm pulley, boost guage and AIT sensor.

You are actually helping out the economy by boosting consumer spending - maybe thats why the stock market rebounded today.

BB

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I think this post really sums it up and the track is proof of that. I read all the "what if "and "how can I " mod my car threads on this forum and this one post should be made the official "how to" post for the SRT6 owners. If anyone can do better then they can return here and post their mods and times. For now it appears you hold the official speed record so congratulations to you for that and I feel privileged to live so close to you and know that my ride is in the future. Then I can at least say I rode in the "Fastest Crossfire".

Gary
HAHA...I'll let you drive it Gary. No need to make the court appearance any worse...LOL!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-Town SRT/6
HAHA...I'll let you drive it Gary. No need to make the court appearance any worse...LOL!
I have been lucky with my '04 coupe. Almost 10,000 miles since April and no stops or tickets. My luck might change if I get behind the wheel of your SRT6 but I accept your offer.
I am sure I won't push it as hard as you have anywhere around here.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always believed that you break in an engine the way you are going to use it. If you want it to go fast you drive it that way right from the start.

They way I have always broken in an engine is to fill the engine with non synthetic oil and get the car out on the high way in high gear at only about 35 mph and then hit the gas. At firt the engine us lugging at slow speed and then once you have it at top speed let off the gas and let the compression of the engine slow you back down to around 35 mph. Do this a few time and your rings should be seated. Then change to Mobil 1 and drive the snot out of it.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Chi-Town SRT/6. An excellent review. I have been searching all the different posts trying to find just this information. One question though - would you change the sequence in which you did these mods? The reason why I ask is I don't have $2,000 to spend right now but would like to do these mods one by one. I don't want to do a single mod that forces me to do all the others right away. My idea, and suggested by other members, is to do the NeedsWings first.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 AM

Any thought of changing to a set of Non-SRT-6 rear end gears. You can get a complete used housing for $300 and the 1/4 mile improvement should be notable.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossbowme
Thanks Chi-Town SRT/6. An excellent review. I have been searching all the different posts trying to find just this information. One question though - would you change the sequence in which you did these mods? The reason why I ask is I don't have $2,000 to spend right now but would like to do these mods one by one. I don't want to do a single mod that forces me to do all the others right away. My idea, and suggested by other members, is to do the NeedsWings first.
No, I dont think I would change the sequence. I really feel like the intake gave the pulleys even more power and the tuning was really just to make the car deliver the most HP in the safest way. Depending on how much you have to spend I would say do it in the order I did. You wont be sorry!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 AM

Nice write-up Chi-Town..

Now what's next?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Nice write up. I think the pulley kit will be later in future for me. If I can get my car in the 12.7 to 12.9 I'll be happy. I think with some drag tires and maybe sunco 98 octane, you'll break into the 11's...

Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. Great scouting report.

Last edited by Jeff Cobb; 04-17-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:17 PM

Nice thread, exactly what i was looking for. Wonder what dyno numbers your putting down, sounds like your running almost everything i am running in my C32 short of diff ECU tuning.

Blistering fast time on the quarter too, friends driving my C32 could get it into the 12.7's, i just suck *** at launching, but the car had the nuts to break 110+ traps.

With a good track driver probably woulda been a 12.5 112+ car...

But this is good to see on the SRT6.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM

The thing I see is that the non srt models have a much better manual transmission (puts more power down and lets the engine rev all the way up 100% of the time unlike the automatic which is like 80% of the time).

Now, there comes the power issue.

As I see, most srt (stock models) put around 280-290 hp to the wheels while the non srt puts down 190-200 hp. So, with all things kept constat, if you could "magically" give the non srt models 80-90 more hp I think it could out run it. (Also keep in mind that they weight about 150 lbs less) AND (the rear end non srt gears are much better for the 1/4).

??

Last edited by basslover911; 11-15-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by basslover911
The thing I see is that the non srt models have a much better manual transmission (puts more power down and lets the engine rev all the way up 100% of the time unlike the automatic which is like 80% of the time).

Now, there comes the power issue.

As I see, most srt (stock models) put around 280-290 hp to the wheels while the non srt puts down 190-200 hp. So, with all things kept constat, if you could "magically" give the non srt models 80-90 more hp I think it could out run it. (Also keep in mind that they weight about 150 lbs less) AND (the rear end non srt gears are much better for the 1/4).

??
Mine seems to put 100% of the power to the ground...why would a manual be different? Stick cars are almost ALWAYS slower as there is so much room for error. The autostick on the SRT is incredible and has always gotten rave reviews. BTW even the fastest non srt xfire on record runs a very low 14 second 1/4 compared to a mid/low 13 second srt stock.

I trapped 113 in my SRT...the gearing seems fine to me.

If you could "magically" get another 80-90 HP out of the non srt would it not be just alot cheaper to trade in on one? Also consider whatg would happen to the tranny and clutch with another 90 pony's on tap...**** will start to break! I also think the non srt probably really has about 160-170RWHP not anywhere near 200. There 215 stock and I doubt they only lose 15HP from the crank to the wheels.

Last edited by Chi-Town SRT/6; 11-15-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chi-Town SRT/6
Mine seems to put 100% of the power to the ground...why would a manual be different? Stick cars are almost ALWAYS slower as there is so much room for error. The autostick on the SRT is incredible and has always gotten rave reviews. BTW even the fastest non srt xfire on record runs a very low 14 second 1/4 compared to a mid/low 13 second srt stock.

I trapped 113 in my SRT...the gearing seems fine to me.
I know like I said, the non srt model needs more power.

And what I mean is that any manual transmission is going to loose less % of hp than any automatic transmission (kind of like FWD vehicles compared to RWD, rwd loose more hp).

Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by basslover911
I know like I said, the non srt model needs more power.

And what I mean is that any manual transmission is going to loose less % of hp than any automatic transmission (kind of like FWD vehicles compared to RWD, rwd loose more hp).
I think that would be true on a weak automatic not the tiptronic thats on the SRT.

Consider how much tougher it is to launch the stick as well...whatever is gained by having stick will be lost on the launch unless your a great driver.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Chi-Town, you're my hero! Thanks for the no-nonsense, "just-the-facts" write up. I'm not that schooled in all of the in's and out's of engine performance modification, and its easy to get lost in all of the terms and balogney that get slung around in some of the other threads (here and on any other car forums). So I _really_ appreciate you laying it out simple and straight forward for us "noobs". Now ANYONE can follow your formula and add significant power to their SRT-6.

Power to the people!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No-nonsense posts like this are much-needed... on a LOT of topics LOL.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This information has been around for almost 2 years or more NO one bothers to do a search anymore I have come up with at least 5 to 6 different pulley companies and almost 7 different ecu tunning companies by searching and reading, HALF THE GUYS ON HERE by not taking the time to search have not figured out that you can get the ASP pulley for about $400 by buying a lousy tool off ebay for $40 to ensure you don't ruin the pulley while removing it and sending it to them, I don't get it SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH. CHI-SRT6 Its great you figured it out and your times are pretty decent, but if people would just take the time to use the search button post like this wouldn't even be on here for the 4th or 5th time. Third if people really cared about these cars they would be talking to the guys and reading about the guys who have been doing this SINCE 98 SEARCH PEOPLE AND READ there is mbworld, srtforum, slkworld, benzworld, mercedesforum not just crossfireforum THE CROSSFIRE only has one site and all though its great to see people excited about **** they just discovered THIS SITE HAS BEEN THE MOST BORING OUT OF ALL Of THEM everything has become a repost because no one searches... I see why HDDP gets so annoyed sometimes I am sorry if I seem like an a$$ but ever since this car has become affordable its been a new wave of new people posting about stuff that has been around before they came around. When i first got here all i did was read to catch up It took me almost two months DO a search look me up and call my bluff lol SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH seriously just my 2 cents I'm done ranting...

Quick Reply: How to build a fast Crossfire