Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone else noticed this?

I was looking at the exhaut under my co-workers SRT Roadster the other day and noticed something I hadn't previously seen on my car.

Beneath his car, there is a cross brace connected to the frame just under the doors, and back across to the rear of the car, making a 'V'. This is absent on the Coupe model.

I'm not sure if others have noticed this or not...but it could be helpful for any of the road race guys to install this roadster's brace onto the coupe to help stiffen up the chassis even more.

Thought it was worth mentioning...although I'm sure HDDP will say it was already posted 3 years ago.

SQ

Old 11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Default Re: Has anyone else noticed this?

its probably stiffening because it is a convertable... the rigitity is already there for the coupe

Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

my SRT-6 has them , cross braces everwhere

Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, the V bracing is on my coupe as well. So, for the convertible... no... for the SRT6 to stiffen an already stiff chassis... YES!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
there is a cross brace connected to the frame just under the doors, and back across to the rear of the car, making a 'V'.
Mine has those. I know becuase when I jack the car up, I take detailing spray to them. Not sure about the coupes though.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Yep, the V bracing is on my coupe as well. So, for the convertible... no... for the SRT6 to stiffen an already stiff chassis... YES!
You are saying your car DOES have them? From the factory...strange, mine does not.

(Coupe)

Fflores, yes I know it is because it is a vert - but it could add even MORE to your car if your car doesn't have them, and you so desire...(and like paying your dentist and kideny doctor )

SQ

Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
You are saying your car DOES have them? From the factory...strange, mine does not.

(Coupe)

Fflores, yes I know it is because it is a vert - but it could add even MORE to your car if your car doesn't have them, and you so desire...(and like paying your dentist and kideny doctor )

SQ
I believe my coupe has those too , I'll have to double check.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM

If you are talking about the black, steel cross bracing, mine has them. I paint them when I'm under the car.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by cgocifer
If you are talking about the black, steel cross bracing, mine has them. I paint them when I'm under the car.
Weird...I could've sworn that piece was absent on my car - I'll have to double check now.

SQ

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's nice to hear that they are still using old "Muscle Car" technology even on today's cars.
On all the XF convertibles, it's there to help prevent the body from "flexing" thanks to the solid roof being removed and causing structural integrity issues.
On the already "ultra" stiff coupes, I believe it's there to help keep the bodies from "twisting" due to the massive torque of the AMG engine.

Back in the 60's G.M. used it's convertible style "Boxed" frame under their GTO, 442, Grand Sport, and SS 396 Chevelles for the same reason.
Cars with "uni-body" construction are less prone to "flex" simply because it's a much stronger design principle. But even as strong as it is, Chrysler would reinforce their "Hemi" cars, especially the Cuda and Challengers, to resist "twisting" caused by those motors.
In the future, those of you who own SRT's, and do a lot of drag racing, or simply a lot of "hole shots" across intersections, could notice slight "stress" marks appearing on your rear 1/4 panels. Nothing dramatic, or obvious, but very subtle imperfections that probably only you will notice under certain lighting conditions. Don't worry about it, nobody else will probably ever notice them, and as long as your car smokes the tires it may never occur. It usually only happens when racers start using "sticky" tires that "hook up" and all that kinetic energy has to be absorbed somewhere. Your drive train receives the brunt of it, but the rest is transmitted to the body.

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-15-2007 at 07:37 AM.