Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

"Raced" an M5 last night

Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Raced" an M5 last night

So I'm puttering through downtown Atlanta last night taking my girl home from a date just minding my own business and chatting as I drive when all of a sudden I'm getting tailgated by some late model BMW. Can't tell what model the car is because it's so close and all I see is the bright lights in my face.
First I think to myself, what a ****** bag this guy is for tailgating me in his sedan. Then as he pulls abreast of me, I glance down and view his gorgeous fender vents with that M5 logo gleaming in the city lights.
Then I think to myself, FINALLY! Someone wants to throw down! I see all these nice and fast cars nonstop living in Atlanta, but seldom do any of them punk around with me. Such a shame.
So anyway he pulls beside me and my lady is like, "Sweet car, you think you can take him?" I replied, "Let's see what he's got."

"What he's got" is a lotta damn power.... We were cruising at about 30 or so and I throw it into 2nd and gun it. With a chirp of the tires and about two seconds I'm doing 60 through the city, then let off and see what he wants to do. I look back and he's still with me. He then gets beside me and nails it.
What a car. He nails the gas and that V10 sounds gorgeous. I see him hit it and give it all I've got and I'm actually sticking with him for the most part. I figure the weight really comes into factor here.
We get a red light ahead and slow to a stop beside one another. We glance and give the "what's up" nod. He seems like a cool guy. He glances back over and throws his finger forward to tell me he wants to drag. Of course I abided.

Now is the point in the story where it all goes downhill. Did he beat me? Yes. Was it because my car was slower? It can't be said. What happened was that when I launched, I simply spun my worn out Continental All Seasons through 1st and well into 2nd. By the time I got traction, he was 100 feet ahead of me and victorious.

I've known my tires were trashed for a few weeks now and I actually have brand new ContiSportContact 3 Max Performance Summer tires in the garage waiting to be put on. Which they will be this weekend.

So, in review:

M5. Stupid Fast. But, faster than me? For now. With my new tires I'll actually have traction. Oh and my pulley set couldn't hurt either. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that guy again. Next time if I lose, I'll at least give him hell.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: "Raced" an M5 last night

Even with pulleys it will be TOUGH to beat up an M5. Those cars are in the low 12's stock at 115 plus. Might be a close with a TUNE/INTAKE/PULLEY combo but I strongly suspect once the race gets over 100 that mean V-10 will start to REALLY pull.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dang, I never realized how fast those things were. I guess you hear so much M3 buzz that you forget about the 5.

Is the M6 fast? To be quite candid, I am absolutely SLAIN by the M6's looks... not so much by the 5-series.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular

Fun story and writing style. Had a nice cadence to it.

Did it look like this one?

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...w-m5-2-big.jpg

Last edited by Electric Messiah; 12-11-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The M5 is roughly a full second quicker to 60 and in the 1/4 mile than an SRT6 so as Chi-Town says, it'd be TOUGH!! But fun I'm sure!!

Oh, and the M6 times are almost identical to the M5. Same engine, similar weight, so it makes sense.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
The M5 is roughly a full second quicker to 60 and in the 1/4 mile than an SRT6 so as Chi-Town says, it'd be TOUGH!! But fun I'm sure!!

Oh, and the M6 times are almost identical to the M5. Same engine, similar weight, so it makes sense.
The M6 is 250-300 lbs lighter than the M5. It's about the same 0-60 and a few tenths faster in the 1/4.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Well, for one, take it to the track for safety reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a saint, there were days when I would go stalk cars for red-light races, but Jail, the Brig, loss of licence, huge fines, and possibility of killing someone are all things I can't afford.

On the other hand, very nicely written and fun as heck to read!

What a sign of the times! Today, you have to worry about grocery getters with 4 doors blowing the pants off of sports cars! Isn't it great?! :-) The M5 is a helluva technological showcase! But hey, he paid about 4 times what you probably paid. I'd say you won in the end!

This is one of the most incredible exhaust notes I've ever heard! This is one bad *****!!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYYe0kLCto

Last edited by cgocifer; 12-11-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

No shame -

With a Pulley / Tune / Intake/ Tires - and you hang on his bumper in a drag - then $$ for $$ you still win.

Of course that is one fine BMW!

By the way - my Dad always warned me about going out on a date with out having good rubber.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 PM

I appreciate the comments and consolations fellas. I knew beforehand that those cars were amazing in about every way. I just didn't realize that they were that amazingly fast. It's totally different to read numbers in a magazine than it is to watch a car just leave you behind. I've always had respect for tuned BMW's, but that's a given for most German cars in the first place (including my "lowly" little SRT).

I would like to see how it goes with good traction and a pulley kit. I'm sure he'd be surprised and impressed at the very least. That's what I love most about this car; that people are surprised at just how fast it really is.

I'm glad you guys had fun reading the story. Hopefully I'll have many more opportunities out there to report future encounters with badass cars.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange

Road Track lists the M5 and M6 V10 cars as having Identical times. 0-60 in 4.1 and 1/4 mile in 12.4, so it would seem that Chi-Town would be able to take them both. I didn't think they were a full second faster 0-60. The SRT-6 has been tested to be the 4.7-4.8 second range 0-60. So they are about .5 seconds faster in both areas. That's not a lot to make up. I think there will soon be a few SRT-6s capable of killing anything BMW car throw at it...

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Road Track lists the M5 and M6 V10 cars as having Identical times. 0-60 in 4.1 and 1/4 mile in 12.4, so it would seem that Chi-Town would be able to take them both. I didn't think they were a full second faster 0-60. The SRT-6 has been tested to be the 4.7-4.8 second range 0-60. So they are about .5 seconds faster in both areas. That's not a lot to make up. I think there will soon be a few SRT-6s capable of killing anything BMW car throw at it...
OK, 4.1 vs 4.8 0-60 = 7/10ths, sorry (Car and Driver put the SRT6 at 5.1, hence my numbers). But the 1/4 mile is a full 9/10ths slower in the SRT6 (13.3 vs 12.4 for the M5) and it gets worse from there:

0-100: SRT6 - 12.4, M5 - 9.5
0-120: SRT6 - 19.0, M5 - 13.3

SRT6 info from http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...t-6-page4.html
M5/M6 info from http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...data_panel.pdf

Apparently the M5 with the full manual gearbox is noticeably slower than the SMG variant, showing 0-60 and 1/4 mile on par with the SRT6.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
the M6 is lighter and faster than the 5 because of the carbon roof and both have a fairly sophisticated launch system that would pretty much slam the Xfire though I am sure drivers would make a difference. Chi-town seems to be a unique driver. But I have a hard time swallowing that the m and x are even comparable-more wishful thinking? I will say I have 2 pals who took the 6, mostly because they are bavarian diehards but I can tell they are not that happy...Also sales are somewhat of a flop. Dealers are discounting them...and talk about bad cupholders on a 100k car....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys keep saying that the m6 is faster than m5 sure logically that makes sense as it is roughly 300 pounds lighter, but dragtimes.com seems to think otherwise as the m5s on there are substantially faster than the m6s.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sidez
you guys keep saying that the m6 is faster than m5 sure logically that makes sense as it is roughly 300 pounds lighter, but dragtimes.com seems to think otherwise as the m5s on there are substantially faster than the m6s.
a good driver in a honda civic could probably beat a hack like me in an M6. M5's are a cult car, M6's are just fat old guys who can afford more.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 AM

Are you sure it was the new M5? You said late model. Up to the '03 model, it was a V8 @ 400hp. '05 on has the V10. Actually, the V8 is quicker to 60mph. After that, the V10 kicks in. I routinely race my buddies '03 M5 with my SRT-8. I usually win. Haven't done it yet with the Crossfire.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:16 AM

Flyboy:

You're certainly right about the cars in Atlanta. This is a RICH city, but I'm still amazed at the high-end and exotics I see around town. I live right down from Ansley Mall, and at any given time that parking lot will host several M6 BMWs, SLs out the ying yang, tons of vettes, a Viper, and the occasional Rolls Royce Phantom. It's an amazing and great time to be in HotLanta!

Matthew

Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 AM

That was a killer story!! I felt like i was pulled into a romance novel!! LOL

Better luck next time.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Forum Regular

good story .. Thanks
hey what can we say we got a dirt cheep price
on a world class sports car ...
ya the BMW 's are very nice cost way too much just Raw hp

M5 Coupe 5.0 ltr 500 hp V10 starting @ $82,000
M6 Coupe 5.0 ltr 500hp V10 starting @ $99,300
Z4 M Coupe 3.2 ltr 330 hp V6 starting @ $48,000

Last edited by huudoo; 12-12-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM

In case you missed it:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYYe0kLCto

Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Talking Re: "Raced" an M5 last night

Well here is my story about my little black srt-6 vs big bad '06 m5. I know some people won't believe this but this is what happened. I had just got my car back from the shop,three weeks to fix a spoiler seal leak. I was heaed to Apex, NC to show my wife that huge grin was back on my face. I was on state highway 55 and saw this white BMW in front of me. I passed him checking the car out, he passed me back checking mine out. I'm thinking yeah finally something worth runnin', had no idea what m5 was. I saw the next light just turning red,so I pull into the left lane. We both knew it was on. I turned the stereo down and slapped the auto stick to the left. Light goes green and we hit it. I had just a little wheel spin out of the hole,but my reaction time got me a car length on him. We get about an 1/8 mile and I still got a half a car on him. Heres were it gets real crazy real fast. From out of knowhere this beater pulls into his lane about 100 feet in front us. I see him slide over to the far right lane,but he is runnin out of lane real fast. I get around the beater and look in the rearview to see if he made it, he did. I look at the speedo and I'm doin 90 in a 45 zone. I know in a full 1/4 mile the m5 would have got me. It was nice to know my srt-6 could run with a car that costs almost twice as much, and looks damn sexy doin it. My opion of the m5 it's another overpriced, overated TANK sedan with alot of hp. It kinda looks like somthing my mom might drive to the store. The srt-6 is a true sports car 2 seats,2 doors, and great hp/lbs ratio. If you don't have the cash for a big vette or viper then this is the car to have.
Chi-town vs. an m5 my money is on the guy with fastest crossfire in the world. Chi-town you the man.

Last edited by 6kings72; 12-12-2007 at 09:14 AM.