Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LET Headers?!?!?

Old 12-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: LET Headers?!?!?

True headers all flow into a single collector to create a scavanging effect. Full lenght headers with the collector under the car wiould give the best gains, If you guys look around you could find guys that can custom make a set of full length headers for the cost of what many are asking for these type. Just try to find someone who builds for street rods and not a F1 team. If I was spending that kind of money I would have a full length set. I have had custom headers built in the past. If you go with mild steel instead of stainless they acutually can look better since there is a larger selection of pre-made curves in mild steel. You can also have them ceramic coated and still save over stainless.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
So what I meant by that was even though everyone is seeing gains, there is more gains to be made? Would you see headers like this hurting the engine in the long run? HDDP can you share with us who is making your headers and whether or not they will produce more then one set?

I also was going to join the group buy and get them at the discounted price when I started reading everything seemed great and it was the first header available for the SRT6. That was where in my head I wanted to start so I too was ready to fork over the cash. It looks like it would have been a bad idea he is having leaning out problems. Even when the ECU is reworked he is still having troubles getting enough fuel.
Yes, don't waste your money on just headers because the engine management won't maximize the HP potential... Here's how it breaks down... if you add Schrick Cams without ECU mods you'll see maybe 7 hp... (with custom ECU tuning 12 hp) If you add headers without ECU tuning you'll probably see 8 hp (with custom tuning 12 hp)...

Everyone on this board cracks me up with their ideas of HP gains for this car... Unless you start with the Engine Management, you're wasting your money...

Old 12-16-2007, 06:32 PM

If you guys want to build your own headers... I have posted this many time before...

http://www.burnsstainless.com/

They have the specs for the M112 engine and will maximize HP....

Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
Yes, don't waste your money on just headers because the engine management won't maximize the HP potential... Here's how it breaks down... if you add Schrick Cams without ECU mods you'll see maybe 7 hp... (with custom ECU tuning 12 hp) If you add headers without ECU tuning you'll probably see 8 hp (with custom tuning 12 hp)...

Everyone on this board cracks me up with their ideas of HP gains for this car... Unless you start with the Engine Management, you're wasting your money...
That is just what I am intending to do as said in previous posts, but I am hoping to get all the mods done this winter I just wanted to start with the headers and then once I am all said and done with everything DO the ECU. Did you have to fax them for the specs? Do you think I can just email them since they already have the specs instead of having to look everything up to fill out the request? I did not see them online.

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 12-16-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP

Sorry - I should have mentioned that he was tuning his SLK32 along with the headers and still only seeing 8HP gain. I think he already had an ASP pulley installed. I suspect the design - but that is all that would fit. His thread is still on top at the Benzworld forum under R170 (Headers Anyone...)

I was hoping to do all three at once (headers, pulley, tune) but will settle with the last two.

I checked with Vince at Burns Stainless - they will sell me the parts (If I have a material list) but they won't fab them.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 AM

shorties are the way to go After doing tons of reading it all boils down to these three websites and a loss of 10 hp which wont matter if you are leaving the stock restrictive cats on anyway. The extra horsepower is coming primarily from the exhaust leaving the engine faster through the larger tubes, and an ecu tune. Also here are some 55 pictures of there Renntech headers, they look very similar.

http://www.dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=3

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...=222313&page=2

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206642

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
renntechshortyvn1.jpg (203.0 KB, 7 views)
renntechx42mmoedownpipetg8.jpg (180.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 12-17-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 AM

Those LET headers look nice but did we determine if they will indeed fit the srt-6 or if those are even the actual pics?

Id really like to see some equal length long tubes but i dont think many people/companies are willing to tackle such a project. Even made from mild steel im willing to bet a competent shop wouldnt touch the project for less than 1500-2000, there is just so much time involved.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 AM

The long tubes seem to be easier than shorties on the R170 chassis. The problem with that is you'll also have to modify the rest of the exhaust.

Johnny Angel, those pics are v8 headers - do they make them for a 6 as well?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 AM

All I can say is Very Nice!! I have made headers, intake manifolds in the past. There is so much money lost in R&D, and then production cost!! For a rare car like this, and the quality of the pics, $900 is a great deal IMO. Plus 10-20whp, is a great mod no matter what.

Most of the cars I work the customers buy a $300-$500 headers or header for my 4 cylinger guys, and only see 2-5whp. So a car that started out at almost $50k, that is not a lot of Specialtly Car Tax.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BDJ's Racing
Most of the cars I work the customers buy a $300-$500 headers or header for my 4 cylinger guys, and only see 2-5whp. So a car that started out at almost $50k, that is not a lot of Specialtly Car Tax.
Am I understanding you right? If a car originally cost $50K then $900 for headers is a good deal? What if they couldn't get $50K and had to sell the car originally for $20K? then what should I be paying for headers?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
The long tubes seem to be easier than shorties on the R170 chassis. The problem with that is you'll also have to modify the rest of the exhaust.

Johnny Angel, those pics are v8 headers - do they make them for a 6 as well?
NO i wish those are vrp headers with burns steel, made by Fllooredfab I bet they probably cost the guy who did it close to $5000 and that may be under shooting it. They are a pretty big deal now there latest project was working on the Mercedes that was on the cover of this months Dupont registry collection. I think he got his start out sourcing carbon fiber airboxes two years ago for his dream of a 700 hp car. lol just goes to show you what can happen when you stick to a dream and bring a crowd with you.

Attached Images
vrpusa2.jpg (121.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Am I understanding you right? If a car originally cost $50K then $900 for headers is a good deal? What if they couldn't get $50K and had to sell the car originally for $20K? then what should I be paying for headers?
I believe the point is that a Viper cost $90k, and headers are $2500-$4000. A Vette cost $45k and above and "Good" headers are around $1500. Yes both cars are long tubed style, but I think you get the point. All cars come with there own special "luxury" car tax. Try buying a $3000 Civic and put $5000 turbo kit on it!! All in all, those are a good deal IMO.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by BDJ's Racing
I believe the point is that a Viper cost $90k, and headers are $2500-$4000. A Vette cost $45k and above and "Good" headers are around $1500. Yes both cars are long tubed style, but I think you get the point. All cars come with there own special "luxury" car tax. Try buying a $3000 Civic and put $5000 turbo kit on it!! All in all, those are a good deal IMO.
I think your term 'luxury car tax' is what is misleading him.

The headers don't cost more because the car cost more (well, sometimes they may). Instead, they cost more because there are fewer people buying them. Therefore, they need to make more money per set to make it worthwhile.

For instance - you can buy a set of headers for a 5.0 or $350 chevy for around $150...but there are how many millions of 302s and 350s on the road?

There aren't many SRT6's, and even fewer who are willing to spend money and mod them. Therefore, we will pay a premium. You've got to pay to play.

Johnny, they are some sweet looking headers! But not $5K in my mind. If I was loaded maybe...

SQ

Old 12-17-2007, 02:38 PM

I think your term 'luxury car tax' is what is misleading him.

The headers don't cost more because the car cost more (well, sometimes they may). Instead, they cost more because there are fewer people buying them. Therefore, they need to make more money per set to make it worthwhile.

For instance - you can buy a set of headers for a 5.0 or $350 chevy for around $150...but there are how many millions of 302s and 350s on the road?

There aren't many SRT6's, and even fewer who are willing to spend money and mod them. Therefore, we will pay a premium. You've got to pay to play.

Johnny, they are some sweet looking headers! But not $5K in my mind. If I was loaded maybe...

SQ
I totaly understand your point and agree. It is just when they charge more than I can get a one off set made that I feel ripped off. I built a replica of a 1966 GT40 and wanted the true 360degree crossover system, I paid $700 for them with was a full system from header flange to custom made muffler to exhaust tips. For those that don't know a crossover system is where the two center cylinders on each side cross over to the other collector. This system is also referred to as a "bundle of snakes" and is a work of art when done right.

Because of the job the guy did he was able to sell a few more systems

Attached Images
file.php.jpg (651.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Sweet setup Lantana - what color was the car? There is a white replica I've been seeing around here lately...

I agree - if you can get it for less, by all means, do it! But, production units for a car that is not very common will cost considerably more coin than a standard common car..

SQ

Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 PM

I totaly understand your point and agree. It is just when they charge more than I can get a one off set made that I feel ripped off. I built a replica of a 1966 GT40 and wanted the true 360degree crossover system, I paid $700 for them with was a full system from header flange to custom made muffler to exhaust tips. For those that don't know a crossover system is where the two center cylinders on each side cross over to the other collector. This system is also referred to as a "bundle of snakes" and is a work of art when done right.

Because of the job the guy did he was able to sell a few more systems
Hey thats a really nice job they did! I think you got a great deal for $700, though theres quite a bit more room to work on that replica car vs the srt6 engine bay.

Are those tubes mandrel bent single pieces, or welded sections?

And the "luxery car tax" sure can be a ****. Dont ask what brake rotors for my buddies Ferrari 360 cost.....its the same steel as any other car. Not gold or anything, but for what they ask youd think otherwise.

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 12-17-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Sweet setup Lantana - what color was the car? There is a white replica I've been seeing around here lately...

I agree - if you can get it for less, by all means, do it! But, production units for a car that is not very common will cost considerably more coin than a standard common car..

SQ
That was my point, the GT40 is a little more rare than a Crossfire/SLK

Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM

That was my point, the GT40 is a little more rare than a Crossfire/SLK
Those aren't production units though - those are custom, and a lot more room to make them.

SQ

Old 12-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am surprised erick still did not reply to this thread.. !!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:19 PM

ME too he must be really busy, I still am yet to get around to calling him.

Quick Reply: LET Headers?!?!?