Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

LET Headers?!?!?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LET Headers?!?!?

Originally Posted by amg-jerry
I'm in Chicago, but I always make trips to Ohio.
Chicago that is not so bad it is about 800 miles from me? Hm.. When can I come over?

when the weather clears up a little (snow wise) i would gladly drive down to chicago for a couple days..

Last edited by Sidez; 12-19-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Forum Regular

well then ill have to pay more. dont have the extra scratch at the moment to throw at something i dont know when ill get, with the holidays and all sorry, otherwise id confirm.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irwin
well then ill have to pay more. dont have the extra scratch at the moment to throw at something i dont know when ill get, with the holidays and all sorry, otherwise id confirm.
are you saying that you don't know when you will get them from us or that you don't know when you would be able to pay for them?

we are starting work on them tomorrow...prototype set will be done next week...

Old 12-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, Now I'm confused... LET is making a set of headers that has the same design as the OEM and also the SuperSprint for the C320 ? WHY ? The design is the problem, that H pattern is what is robbing power...

If you're going to do some R&D and build some headers, create a equa-length outlet from each cylinder into a merge collector, these are called tuned headers that maintain equal back pressure on each cylinder and will help maximize HP gain... Otherwise, You are just re-packaging the OEM... Which actually are pretty good considering you are pushing exhaust gasses at high pressure into a tube at a 90 degree angle... Really bad idea !!!

What's the HP gain from SuperSprint ? 7HP ? WHOOPTIDOOO YAHOO !!!!

I think this will be some good reading for the interested parties and those attempting to manufacture / sell "High Performance" headers...

http://headerdesign.com/extras/design.asp
http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechAr...ry/theory.html

Last edited by HDDP; 12-21-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HDDP is right, I've been following this thread somewhat, so yesterday I done some searching on avarage HP gains when changing from a manifolds to headers. What I found was the average gain for adding headers is about 7 or 8 HP, most places claimed 7 to 20. But those were claims, one of the sites I visited they were doing a Nisssan I think they gained 7 HP. Besides spending a lot of money for little gains, you may be driving something that sounds like a ricer with a fart can. I can not say I wasn't interested at first, but after reading about actual gains and the thought of what it may sound like, NOT FOR ME.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HDDP
So, Now I'm confused... LET is making a set of headers that has the same design as the OEM and also the SuperSprint for the C320 ? WHY ? The design is the problem, that H pattern is what is robbing power...

If you're going to do some R&D and build some headers, create a equa-length outlet from each cylinder into a merge collector, these are called tuned headers that maintain equal back pressure on each cylinder and will help maximize HP gain... Otherwise, You are just re-packaging the OEM... Which actually are pretty good considering you are pushing exhaust gasses at high pressure into a tube at a 90 degree angle... Really bad idea !!!

I think this will be some good reading for the interested parties and those attempting to manufacture / sell "High Performance" headers...

Why? Because the results are proven. If the design was the problem, then don't you think AMG would have changed it? The log style headers that we are selling are making more power than the Evosport "shorty" headers. Erick has had stock, Evosport, and LET headers on his car and the LET headers make the most power. Custom long tube headers for the C32 made a bit more top end power, but lost power under the curve. I prefer having power from 2000 RPM - redline, VS. redline power only.

The design theories you posted above reflect your opinion on how headers should be designed. However, not all motors are the same and the components of each motor shouldn't be the same.

It's easy to sit back and criticize designs of which you have had no part in. I respect your opinion, but if you have no valid proof or R&D time of your own, then how can you say that the design is the problem?

There are many factors that would keep you from building a set of equal length headers for the SRT6. Personally, I don't think there is enough room for them. I have never seen under the hood of the SRT6 but if you have to lift the motor to install headers, then I can't imagine they would fit.

With the research that we have done, the LET log style headers provide the most bang for your buck vs any other header on the market.

If you want a custom set of equal length headers, we will build them for you. If you want long tube headers, we will build those too. However, in the end, you would have been happier saving yourself the time / money and purchasing the headers with proven results. The fact is, our headers make great power on the C32 and we would love to prove that they will make the most power on the SRT6 as well. The only thing we need is an SRT6 willing to commit.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
HDDP is right, I've been following this thread somewhat, so yesterday I done some searching on avarage HP gains when changing from a manifolds to headers. What I found was the average gain for adding headers is about 7 or 8 HP, most places claimed 7 to 20. But those were claims, one of the sites I visited they were doing a Nisssan I think they gained 7 HP. Besides spending a lot of money for little gains, you may be driving something that sounds like a ricer with a fart can. I can not say I wasn't interested at first, but after reading about actual gains and the thought of what it may sound like, NOT FOR ME.
Headers dont usually change the exhaust note, especially not these kind.

Where did you read that?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Headers dont usually change the exhaust note, especially not these kind.

Where did you read that?
I didn't read or claim to read anything about the sound, I just stated that you might end up with something that sounded like a ricer with a fart can. But I did do a search on Yahoo by typing in "average horsepower gains from headers" and a few other similar phrases. The results I came up with from a few sites stated with just going from a manifold to a header would gain 7 to 20 HP. But the sites with actual results with just headers alone was showing 7 to 8 HP gains. Some were showing more, but they were trying to sell headers . The sites that showed actual gains were performance & racing shops.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP

ok, let's stick to the facts of what we know so far...

1. LETMotosport headers are not like any other header on the market, not Supersprint, not evosport...

2. the evosport headers and supersprint headers are the EXACT same design, they are a 3 into 1 collector design...look at the pictures on the supersprint and evosport website, you can clearly see this...

3. i ran the evosport headers on my car for 3 months, just so that i could do some testing and saw no gains in hp, even after dynoing the car several times under different conditions...

4. the minute that i bolted the prototype LETMotorsports headers on the car, i could tell that it was breathing better and the dyno proved that...

5. the problem with the supersprint design is the collector sizing. granted, this is not their fault, as you can not go any bigger and still mate to the stock exhaust.

6. there are also space constraints within the engine compartment that you have to deal with...this is a given, but it is impossible to make a shorty-style equal length header within the space that we have and still have a cost effective product.

7. as jerry said, if you want a true equal length, long-tube header that will make another 10hp, i will be glad to make it for you, just send me your car and a blank check, i can have it done next week

Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I didn't read or claim to read anything about the sound, I just stated that you might end up with something that sounded like a ricer with a fart can. But I did do a search on Yahoo by typing in "average horsepower gains from headers" and a few other similar phrases. The results I came up with from a few sites stated with just going from a manifold to a header would gain 7 to 20 HP. But the sites with actual results with just headers alone was showing 7 to 8 HP gains. Some were showing more, but they were trying to sell headers . The sites that showed actual gains were performance & racing shops.
you will not notice any louder exhaust note with the headers...

Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular

Remember guys, we are here because of you. We want your car to be powerful and we want you to have fun driving it. If the design of the headers is an issue, we can certainly address it.

Keep the ideas coming so we can make a better product!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
7. as jerry said, if you want a true equal length, long-tube header that will make another 10hp, i will be glad to make it for you, just send me your car and a blank check, i can have it done next week
Even with a blank check and the car, working on it full time will take more than a week... The steering column on the drivers side gets in the way and makes you do some crazy turns IF long tube headers is what you want to stick with. Another consideration is you'll have to rework your exhaust too, because you'll be cutting off the upper cat to get the collector under the car. The problem we ran into with this was the only exit for the collector on the drivers side wouldn't line up with the factory exhaust, so it's a little more involved than just welding on a reducer and a flange (reducer if you wanted to keep the 2.25" exhaust, I redid mine to 3" and a 3" collector).

Granted my car is a bit different (SLK) I'm sure it's set up very similar. And if that's the case, the only way you can get the header tubes to fit will be to send one of them under the car, around the motor mount, and then straight back. We had to use a seperate flanged pipe for the front cylinder, so the driver side header is actually in 3 parts because it made install easier. Trying to keep it one peice is not a jigsaw puzzle that you would want to undergo.

The shop that designed/built mine looked at several of the other shorty designs and had a similar conclusion, that if you don't make the tubing progressively larger from the front to the back, then there's no increased flow, and the hp numbers would be right around 5hp, IF ANY. He referred to it as an "upgraded OEM log type manifold". He said shorties would work, if you used FOR EXAMPLE (these numbers weren't calculated, just given as example to me) on the front cylinder using 1.5" tube, then on the middle using 1.75" tube, then on the back using 2" tube, then going into the 2.25" collector. That way there's room for the previous gasses in the next tube it dumps into. I gave him my stock manifolds to work on a design for some high flow shorties, but I'm sure he's still up to undergoing another long tube headers project if you're willing to get your car to Oklahoma for a week or so.

And I probably SHOULDN'T be giving a price quote, but I did talk to him after doing mine about doing other people's on the forums if they ask, and he said it depends on what all you want done... BUT if you want full length headers including the custom exhaust work (all mandrel bends), it will be right around $2000, and that includes installation. But of course, he'll need your car. Granted, this is assuming it's even possible, as he hasn't seen under the hood or underneath a crossfire yet.

And you will need a tune afterwards, unless you're running a stock pulley. The increased air flow is a tremendous gain. I have no dyno results yet, still working on my tune. But just from the "butt dyno" (get your own butt dyno here: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=41) (That's a joke by the way) I can tell it's the most powerful mod I've done yet. And those that have kept up with my posts on Benzworld know I'm all about the mods.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by AMGrasoul
Even with a blank check and the car, working on it full time will take more than a week... The steering column on the drivers side gets in the way and makes you do some crazy turns IF long tube headers is what you want to stick with. Another consideration is you'll have to rework your exhaust too, because you'll be cutting off the upper cat to get the collector under the car. The problem we ran into with this was the only exit for the collector on the drivers side wouldn't line up with the factory exhaust, so it's a little more involved than just welding on a reducer and a flange (reducer if you wanted to keep the 2.25" exhaust, I redid mine to 3" and a 3" collector).
I agree - I looked at my SRT and even cut some cardboard mockups and there is just no way headers can fit without major mods or hanging pipes under the frame. Absolutely no room for (true) shorties above the frame.

My SRT is already so low that I would destroy an expensive set of headers on the first dip I hit at 25MPH. Not interested in scraping my headers.

Intake - Pulley - Tune & IC Cooling are the proven performance mods or else, in my opinion, marketable headers would already have been developed for the SLK320/32.

So lets go LET and get them pulleys fabbed and into our hands...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 PM

any updates on the headers?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 AM

yup, they are being worked on right now, i should have a prototype done in about a week...

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
yup, they are being worked on right now, i should have a prototype done in about a week...
awesome man.. thats what I am talking about...

I would love to purchase the product, but the only thing keeping me off that list is that I would like to do all my engine modifications in one shot if you know what I mean..

At first I had your..
185mm Pulley
Heatexchanger
ECU Tune
Headers
Plug Wires

Shrick Camshafts ( Apparantly you did them for some guy with slk32 with good results)
Johnson Pump
Denso Ik22s
Intake Needswings I guess...
Intake Manifolds Needswings I guess..

But then you had to Announce your twin turbo project damn you.. now I want that Instead ahh.. you got me in a fit... i would like 11s and no Drag dials BS.. street tires, street setup, street gas, and heavy wheels as well...

Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Forum Regular

The TT project is some time off. You should go ahead and do the SC mods for the car. If that still has you wanting more, then sell the parts and do the TT later.