Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

srt-6 delayed start from a dead stop

Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default srt-6 delayed start from a dead stop

i have been reading some of the posts for the possible intercooler/supercharger/clutch etc. symptoms that seem like the car is delayed on a punch start off the line. Mine does it intermittently it seems---sometimes when cold too---it seems to just sit there almost like it doesnt know what to do with the gas/the transmission and then if i feather the peddle a bit it seems to find its happy place and takes off. does this sound like the issues of the supercharger/intercooler or is there some system protection in place to not force apunch start?? i am still under warranty and have printed off the info if it sounds like i need to bring it into the dealer. was your experience happening every time/some of the time or "?". thx--just getting sure first before i go through the hassle of leaving it with the dealership. thx

Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Default Re: srt-6 delayed start from a dead stop

Sounds like a traction control issue - your tires begin to spin when you punch start so HAL throttles the power back to stop this. These cars have enough torque to get the tires to start spinning even with the traction control turned on.

Most of us that have had supercharger/IC pump failures have experienced a loss of power when trying to accelerate when already tooling down the road.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Smile Re: srt-6 delayed start from a dead stop

good point---i will be paying close attention when i test it out from now on and first rule out traction control as a contributorl....thx

Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Forum Regular

Also, when you punch it from dead stop, watch traction control light on dash. If it starts to light up or flash, it is your traction control kicking in.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This is extremely noticable even when in 'W' or 'Winter' mode on the transmission. If you turn off the traction control you will see the ESP kick in a lot less, your wheelspin will be more but your engine won't bog nearly as much.

Good luck with your future 'launches'

Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 AM

If it turns out to be the ESP kicking in, turn it OFF!! Unless it's raining or snowing, mine is always in the off position.....

Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has a noticable bog at times also, especially when cold. Not pump related I think. When I shut off the traction control I don't notice it as much.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Reset your throttle if you haven't done so as well...makes a big difference if you normally drive 'normal' and not 'all out'.

SQ

Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM

My impression is that, for emission purposes, idle is electronically set a bit too low. That may contribute to the feel that the engine is bogging -- especially if the car has been idling for a bit at a light. Check too if the transmission, left in D, is starting out in second gear as when it's in the "winter" mode. I haven't had mine that long, but for what it's worth I have taken to tap shift it over one at lights just to make sure it's starting out in first. The transmission control unit uses adaptive logic, so hopefully once I have it "trained" it should follow suit. That and I'm so used to downshifting a stick to first when i stop that it feels unnatural not to. I haven't seen any hesitation on first gear starts in the short time I've had mine.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 PM

I too have experienced this phenomenon. It is definitely a traction control problem / issue. I have found that if I gun it the wheels break into immediate wheel spin momentarily then the traction control kicks in and the motor feels as though it bogs but it is not, the TC just gives you that impression. To overcome this I just 'feed' the power on during initial acceleration and then mash the pedal to the floor and hang on, seems to work for me. If you do this when turning out of a corner from a standing start the rear end bites real hard and the car gets quite twisted up, often the front end feels as though the inside wheel gets a little air but I doubt it ( just feels that way ). There is a heap of power ( read torque ) avaliable in these vehicles and it takes time to figure out how to get the best of it. What a fantastic machine

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Yes the roadster supercharger srt-6 is a riot to drive....you have to have your wits about you when you decide to punch it. The first time i did was coming out of a tire lot and it literally went in a circle--i was cranked left...as it entered the street----lucky there werent any cars coming because i ended up in the oncoming lane. I also have a 2004 and its fun too------but the real tickets will be earned with the srt-6. thanks for all your input folks.