Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Killer Chiller - intercooling option

Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Killer Chiller - intercooling option

Originally Posted by bdh
Thanks Jim
I am trying to keep my system
hidden. i'll be lucky if my whole system holds a little over two US gallons? but I'm going to make sure everything is well insulated, if I can figure out how to put another tank upfront I will. your battery box tank can not hold much more than 2 gallons. I would've gone that route but I didn't want to move my battery to the trunk, or see the system
Barry
you can get a power steering reservoir mount it like it is working,, on the front of the engine. some hold up to 1 1/2 qts. you have the in and out tubing already there. you could also use your your windo washer tank that is 1 1/2 gal.
as far as the batt opening with the batt out the batt tray cut out ,my tank holds 3 1/2 gal of water . once the batt is out ,you have 4 to 5 " under the batt tray check it out before saying " your battery box tank can not hold much more than 2 gallons." good luck. jim

Old 05-29-2014, 08:51 PM
bdh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
you can get a power steering reservoir mount it like it is working,, on the front of the engine. some hold up to 1 1/2 qts. you have the in and out tubing already there. you could also use your your windo washer tank that is 1 1/2 gal.
as far as the batt opening with the batt out the batt tray cut out ,my tank holds 3 1/2 gal of water . once the batt is out ,you have 4 to 5 " under the batt tray check it out before saying " your battery box tank can not hold much more than 2 gallons." good luck. jim
All good ideas Jim,
I came up with that volume from some of the battery tanks I saw online
Barry

Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by bdh
All good ideas Jim,
I came up with that volume from some of the battery tanks I saw online
Barry
I made mine , first with cardboard,template , then alum ,it is hard to get it in and out because the bottom is larger than the top. it is there and it works that is all that counts.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bdh
Thanks Jim
I am trying to keep my system
hidden. i'll be lucky if my whole system holds a little over two US gallons? but I'm going to make sure everything is well insulated, if I can figure out how to put another tank upfront I will. your battery box tank can not hold much more than 2 gallons. I would've gone that route but I didn't want to move my battery to the trunk, or see the system
Barry

If you want to go stealth and are willing to go custom, a tank in your stock intercooler location would hold a good amount of fluid. Would only need to run a small section of hose to the top of the engine back with a plug for filling purposes.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 AM
bdh

Originally Posted by DaVinci
If you want to go stealth and are willing to go custom, a tank in your stock intercooler location would hold a good amount of fluid. Would only need to run a small section of hose to the top of the engine back with a plug for filling purposes.
I thought of that option if you mean the intercooler rad?
but didn't think it was a good idea at the block too much surface area of the main radiator
Barry

Old 05-30-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bdh
I thought of that option if you mean the intercooler rad?
but didn't think it was a good idea at the block too much surface area of the main radiator
Barry
I think he means the stock heat exchanger that is below your rad. that would be a good idea, you just need to fab. a ,,,air tube /place t add the water like ,,, from the heat exchanger a small hose then to a bigger mounted pipe up to the top of the engine height, a pipe like 1" with a cap on it to fill and remove air. jim

Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
bdh

I think he means the stock heat exchanger that is below your rad. that would be a good idea, you just need to fab. a ,,,air tube /place t add the water like ,,, from the heat exchanger a small hose then to a bigger mounted pipe up to the top of the engine height, a pipe like 1" with a cap on it to fill and remove air. jim
already talked to Joe about that option. not a good idea because you just be trying to cool the outside air. did order larger pump CM Johnson 90 which flows around 1800 gallons an hour

Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bdh
already talked to Joe about that option. not a good idea because you just be trying to cool the outside air. did order larger pump CM Johnson 90 which flows around 1800 gallons an hour
you do not need the larger pump,,,wont hurt to have it as long as you have a free flowing system. with o pressure. jim

Old 05-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bdh
Hi Barry,

I'm also running the big pump and it works great. On the other hand I have a custom intercooler with 3/4" fittings alround.
I will try the KC with the supercooler first because of the distansens I will travel this summer

Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverarrow
Hi Barry,

I'm also running the big pump and it works great. On the other hand I have a custom intercooler with 3/4" fittings alround.
I will try the KC with the supercooler first because of the distansens I will travel this summer
without stating the bleeding obvious....make sure your KC is piped post HX, hey....(if you're keeping the HX that is)
PS - attached doesn't have aftermarket isolation kit or tank, and retains a HX (stock).

PSS - Steve was all over this but recommended a bypass valve. Trying to remember why....???? I think it was if the KC was before the HX.....you don't want the HX potentially reheating all the good work done by the KC if exKC Temp is < Ambient.

PSSS - there is another variant of this (more complicated) - you could pipe the hot side from your IC into your cabin heater and then down to the front HX>KC>Pump

Attached Images

Last edited by Billy22Bob; 05-30-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:38 PM

the first 3 cars (all e55 Mercedes) we did we had a 3 way valves ,, it was set up to #1 killer chiller used with a heat exchanger, the coldest it got was 62 degrees, stop for a red light and it would drop to 55.. #2 the heat exchanger only (like stock) ,, the water at the KC would seem to freeze up. as when valve opened there was no flow for a few min. #3 the Killer chiller only ,, the best (coldest all the time) was the KC only,, all were with a 3/5 gal water tank.
all three cars now have the valves and the heat exchangers removed, and now run with the KC and storage tank only these 3 and my car are daily drivers , all have IAT"s in the 50's when the ambient temp is in the high 80"s,, at 70 mph my Iat reads 65 to 70,,at 80 mph my IAT's read 75 to 80,, jim

Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 PM
bdh

Thats how I am going to install it Jim, Remove my supercooler intercooler rad & have the KC feeding the
intercooler which is Rudys improved version. With all the flow I have I might get away with approx 2.5 gal system but I will be looking for a spot to put another small tank in somewhere. might put a large diameter hose in front of the bottom of my rad & cap it on either end. I am going to have about 24ft of 3/4 heater hose that is about 3 oz a ft & everything that I can heat insulate will be
Barry

Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 PM

the first 3 cars (all e55 Mercedes) we did we had a 3 way valves ,, it was set up to
#1 killer chiller used with a heat exchanger, the coldest it got was 62 degrees, stop for a red light and it would drop to 55..
#2 the heat exchanger only (like stock) ,, the water at the KC would seem to freeze up. as when valve opened there was no flow for a few min.
#3 the Killer chiller only ,, the best (coldest all the time) was the KC only,, all were with a 3/5 gal water tank.
all three cars now have the valves and the heat exchangers removed, and now run with the KC and storage tank only these 3 and my car are daily drivers , all have IAT"s in the 50's when the ambient temp is in the high 80"s,, at 70 mph my Iat reads 65 to 70,,at 80 mph my IAT's read 75 to 80,, jim
for #1 though - was the KC piped pre HX or post HX....?
I can see if KC pre HX - stopping at a red light and drop some temp as the HX was potentially rewarming the KC's good work.

That's epic you can run without a HX on KC only - amazing! That's one of those key milestone achievements!....I'm sure NW's are getting all over this as well...

I'd still be thinking of putting the HX in circuit pre KC though - it couldn't make things worse apart from maybe some flow reduction - so mainly upside risk.
The HX could be considered a small tank if you're chasing more volume - or it could be replaced with a small tank of the same dimensions/mounts if you go for HX delete.

b22b

Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
for #1 though - was the KC piped pre HX or post HX....?
I can see if KC pre HX - stopping at a red light and drop some temp as the HX was potentially rewarming the KC's good work.

That's epic you can run without a HX on KC only - amazing! That's one of those key milestone achievements!....I'm sure NW's are getting all over this as well...

I'd still be thinking of putting the HX in circuit pre KC though - it couldn't make things worse apart from maybe some flow reduction - so mainly upside risk.
The HX could be considered a small tank if you're chasing more volume - or it could be replaced with a small tank of the same dimensions/mounts if you go for HX delete.

b22b
you want the water from the kc to go to the intercooler(under the supercharger) so the water went through the Hx after it left the engine with air going through the hx the water wormed up that is why tusing a hx in line does not work as well... no we did bulid a tank the size of the hx but it a tank 2x6x18 i think and mounted it where the hx was,,,because on the e55 there is no place to put a storage tank.
you as I did can experement with the KC and the hx but the (noHX will be the best , pm me with your phone # and i'll tell you everything ,i did with mine. any one want info pm me your # ill get back to you. jim

Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 PM

cool......