Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

new on forum with dealership/tranny problems

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new on forum with dealership/tranny problems

ok, my crossfire went into limp mode ( stuck in 2nd gear and will not shift) two weeks ago and i took it to a friend's shop that scanned and said my speed sensor gave out (didnt specify which one)....so i took it to the dealership where they diagnosed it and foud that my transmission cooler lines were bent, they said the tranny fluid was not sufficiently being passed....i'm not very familiar with mechanical operations, therefore i need ur advice...can tranny fluid cause the car's transmission to be stuck in 2nd, or is it the speed sensor...or do i really need both....my warranty expired....

Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: new on forum with dealership/tranny problems

My question is how did the cooling lines get bent? I think either one of the problems would cause it to go into limp mode to protect the tranny from damage.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the scan shows a bad speed sensor then there where lies the problem, I would suspect. (It's an easy change out) But, as you stated, they didn't say which one !
However don't over look the bent lines, this is probably not the cause of the tranny being in limp mode but depending on how bad they are bent you may not be getting suffiecently cooled fluid back to the tranny.

Just my Dos Centavos

Welcome to your "Perma-Grin Support Group" !

Last edited by Stogey; 10-10-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 AM

thanks for replying, ..the sensors are built unto the valve bodies, and chrysler wants me to buy a new complete valve body, i just want to replace the input and output speed sensor.....chrysler does not have them individually..where can i get them......the tranny lines got bent due to poor drifting skills and an unavoidable mailbox 6 months ago, i just noticed they got bent a couple days ago after it was raised up....are the tranny lines universal or do i have to get them from chrysler.which one of those between the sensor and the lines should be a priority..i dont mean to sound poor, but im only a college student in love in his crossfire, so im on a budget...

Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You could replace the tranny cooler easly with an aftermarket one. Tranny fluid should be a clear bright cherry red.
The lines could cause problems, the tranny is expensive stuff. How did it get bent and how much?Photos please.

Sensor could be an issue but it is odd you say 2nd gear, do the others work? If so tell us the condition. What was the estimate for the repair and what is their coverage after the repair....Warranty..

Best of luck Woody.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 AM

ok..thanks again guys...the tranny cooler line, as i was shown, was bent to about a 90 degree angle, and they told me that the fluid was not passing through, so the the car activates a mechanism called limp home home ( its in the owner's manual) where the car redlines in 2nd gear but will not shift to 3rd....i have no pics yet, but i'll try to have them posted tommorow..they said parts and labor for only the cooler lines(which they think is the main problem) is 673.04....i researched the parts online and came up with 183.43 on parts.com...is it worth it....or should buy the lines myself and have a buddy install them...my warranty wont cover it because its really a minor accident, i dont want to claim it because my insurance will go sky high, im only 19...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a small dog missing in your neighborhood?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:05 AM

uhmm no, there are neighbors complaining about a guy excessing the speed limit...i tell u about those dumb speed racers

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular

LOL, and welcome to the Family

Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

One more thought, I do not believe the Crossfire has a fluid tube for adding trans. fluid (no dipstick). Be sure whoever works on it knows what they are doing. A new or rebuilt tranny is very, very expensive.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Forum Regular

Realistically anyone with mechanical ability and tools can change the lines. However there may be more problems here than meets the eye. If the transmission has been deprived of fluid for sometime, I think you said you bent the lines 6 months ago. This may be a more serious problem. At this point you have nothing to lose. So change the lines, (least expensive) I assume and go from there. Good luck keep us posted on what you find out.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 AM

yea..it was 6 months ago...i'll swap the lines during the week, but before i order them, should i get universal aftermarket ones or do i have to go through chrysler....but i'll start from there and see what results i get....thank you guys, i like the feedback on the forum...if u have any other questions feel free, i'll put some pics up soon and i'll keep u up to date

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZERACER
One more thought, I do not believe the Crossfire has a fluid tube for adding trans. fluid (no dipstick). Be sure whoever works on it knows what they are doing. A new or rebuilt tranny is very, very expensive.
The tranny does have a fill tube. It does not have a dipstick but you can buy the correct dipstick for it online like from autohausaz.com. But, the tranny fluid level can only be checked correctly at 80 degrees C in order to get the right reading, and unless you have an expensive scan tool then this won't work.

Some people say you can infrared thermometer the tranny fluid pan and if that says 80C then you can go ahead and measure, but thats wrong. I did that, and my fluid ended up being way overfilled.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Factory parts would help retain the value. The transmission fill tube is in the rear of motor and passenger side. See posts about filling it et al.

Oil is cooled by cooler, 6 months is long time, check the odor and color to see about the fluid. Do that first and then see what you have to work with. What year? WOODY

Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 AM

its an 04 autotick, the tranny fluid seems to be circulating, but its as if its having a hard time because of the angle, would this activate the limp home mode......has anyone ever had this limp mode on their crossfires..how did u get rid of it..can the dealer overide it with their scanner tool (odb III)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Default Re: new on forum with dealership/tranny problems( update)

hey guys guess what, i left my car at th dealership the whole wekk, which means they had diagnosed it and saw what the problem was supposably, they wanted to charge me 700 bucks to change the cooler lines which they said was the problem...so i told them no, to delete the code that i was going to another shop...they did...and behold.....transmission is back to life and it shidts fine...ii havnt floored it yet and neither am i going to redline it...i think they were just trying to rip me off by charging parts and labor when it was a problem fixable with the ODB III scanner........beware of those so called certified mechanics at chrysler....thank u guys and im still going to fix those cooler lines...much thanks to all