Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

My car has the leak, I'm assuming the colder than usual temps had something to do with this, maybe not. Called the dealer and they told me it would be $190 to change out the part. So I went and bought the part for 10 dollars and will be changing it this weekend. My only question is, how effective is this technique of lifting the passenger side only as far as not losing the fluid and having to add more later?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RaulRocks2
My car has the leak, I'm assuming the colder than usual temps had something to do with this, maybe not. Called the dealer and they told me it would be $190 to change out the part. So I went and bought the part for 10 dollars and will be changing it this weekend. My only question is, how effective is this technique of lifting the passenger side only as far as not losing the fluid and having to add more later?
Just my personal opinion, but you may want to consider having a shop do it. The quote and the actual cost will likely be significantly different. If the connector cooperates and comes off then the repair will likely only be $100, maybe less. If it doesn't come off and the internal connector screw is stripped and you can't get it off, that's when the hassle really begins. Read the full thread and other multiple threads on this issue. Mine, like others was stripped. I had the dealer reinstall the connector and did further research on it (they told me the internal valve body would need to be broken to get the connector off and then replaced - part was $1400). Research on here and elsewhere helped call them liars - I did need the valve body connector buit not the entire valve body. The internal valve body connector is only about $650. Also, the first dealer I took it too didn't notify me the car was still under warranty. The second did so I had everything done under the 7/70 for free.

Anyway, I'm not sure how well just lifting the passenger side works (it's tight under there even with the lift) but forum members said it works well and saves the fluid.

I hope your external connector comes off and the replacement goes smoothly. If not, it gets really messy and you'll need to drop the pan, get new fluid and filter, etc. while you mess with the internal connector issue.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Cool. Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that what they quoted me and the actual cost would have that much difference. Hopefully it won't go up instead of down in cost lol.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I recently did my SRT and captured 22 oz of fluid with minimal mess into a large drain pan. I used a turkey baster to draw the fluid out of the pan and into a measuring cup. It had weeped about an 6" dia. spot on the garage floor. I've added 24 oz of fluid and will check fluid level in the Spring when the car comes off the stands. BTW, wife was surprised to find a new turkey baster and measuring cup in her Christmas stocking!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I recently did my SRT and captured 22 oz of fluid with minimal mess into a large drain pan. I used a turkey baster to draw the fluid out of the pan and into a measuring cup. It had weeped about an 6" dia. spot on the garage floor. I've added 24 oz of fluid and will check fluid level in the Spring when the car comes off the stands. BTW, wife was surprised to find a new turkey baster and measuring cup in her Christmas stocking!
Regardless... I don't think I will ever eat turkey at your house after this. Just in case

Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Beaner
Regardless... I don't think I will ever eat turkey at your house after this. Just in case
OK by me, we'll just keep having turkey at yours............any left?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently took my car in for a complete service check. The shop is Atwood European here in Phoenix. They did this repair on my car and is the 2nd time in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it. First time was when I first bought the car new after sitting 2 years. Andrew told me that if the car sits alot then you should have it checked twice a year. If the car is used all the time then it's good for 50k miles. Also said was normal maintenance on all E's SL's C's etc.. Mine wasn't leaving any puddles yet or any that I noticed.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lifting the car will eleiminate all but a small amount from coming out. maybe a couplem ozs. take the deepwell 7mm and put a 6 " extension on it set it in place and tap it lightly with a hammner and it will set quite easily. also lube the o rings and it will pop right in. the change should take maybe 30 minutes.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
lifting the car will eleiminate all but a small amount from coming out. maybe a couplem ozs. take the deepwell 7mm and put a 6 " extension on it set it in place and tap it lightly with a hammner and it will set quite easily. also lube the o rings and it will pop right in. the change should take maybe 30 minutes.
Thanks for your help. I'm glad I found this forum it's so helpful and so far everyone has been really cool. you guys rock!

Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 PM

OK. So I went ahead with trying to fix this problem myself cause I couldn't get myself to pay that much money for something this easy to do. I did it by raising the passenger side only to avoid a lot of fluid to be lost. It worked like a charm, lost maybe a few ounces. The hardest part of the job, besides moving around with limited space under the car, of course I'm 6'3" and 280, was getting to part to go back all the way in. you can tell when it fit in there pretty easily because you can see the pins, then like 32krazy! said, put a 6 in. extension on the and tap it with a hammer and it will slide right in. drove it around today and everything is good. No more leaks.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaulRocks2
OK. So I went ahead with trying to fix this problem myself cause I couldn't get myself to pay that much money for something this easy to do. I did it by raising the passenger side only to avoid a lot of fluid to be lost. It worked like a charm, lost maybe a few ounces. The hardest part of the job, besides moving around with limited space under the car, of course I'm 6'3" and 280, was getting to part to go back all the way in. you can tell when it fit in there pretty easily because you can see the pins, then like 32krazy! said, put a 6 in. extension on the and tap it with a hammer and it will slide right in. drove it around today and everything is good. No more leaks.
Excellent work. Feels good to do this one yourself doesn't it?? (of course with a little help from your forum friends)

Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks to the Forum, at least I'm an educated consumer. Took mine to the local dealership, and after pretty much explaining the step by step procedure to them, they figured out what needed done. Hopefully they didn't screw it up....$140 and a few days later, I don't see any drippage on my garage floor. Fortunately, my neighbor across the street is a MB technician and would bail me out in a pinch! He checked my fluid levels before taking it in, and it was more than a quart low, so he brought it back to full. They must have re-lost that quart during the job, as $28 of the $140 was for a quart of TX fluid! (who knows how much they actually used, however..)

Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Could this be a possible tranny leak? Sorry for bad video. Should I order the a2035400253 just in case? Video below.

‪Possible tranny leak?‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Yupp, Woody

Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Just did mine. What takes time is to set the car upon tripods. All straight fwd, no fluid at all. What did take time was to get that sucker to get in and to fit directly and mount the screw. Filled it up about 100 ml (10 cl, 1/10 quart)
Tranny goes much smoother now felt a change. Gears switch quicker.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUBU
Just did mine. What takes time is to set the car upon tripods. All straight fwd, no fluid at all. What did take time was to get that sucker to get in and to fit directly and mount the screw. Filled it up about 100 ml (10 cl, 1/10 quart)
Tranny goes much smoother now felt a change. Gears switch quicker.
If you had the car jacked on passenger side only you lose very little fluid (maybe 1/3 qt). However, if you jacked it up level and lost no fluid then you are really low and you may have been leaking for awhile. Better check that fluid level with the ol' homemade dipstick.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
If you had the car jacked on passenger side only you lose very little fluid (maybe 1/3 qt). However, if you jacked it up level and lost no fluid then you are really low and you may have been leaking for awhile. Better check that fluid level with the ol' homemade dipstick.
Thanks mate for the concern. I only lifted it on the passenger side. As said, many thanks for concern. BTW, as you mention, how do I do the dipstick? ...

Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

I did a posting of how to make one out of a long wire tie for less than a buck, its basically a plastic dip stick to measure the depth,Woody

Last edited by waldig; 09-17-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Hi everyone,
I found a moderate sized leak under my SRT after letting it sit for a week. I put the car up on a lift this past Saturday to try and pinpoint where the leak was coming from and determined that it was leaking from two spots: a small oil leak somewhere above the oil drain pan and a "reddish" fluid leak near the transmission box. I took this picture of the red fluid leak so you could see what I'm talking about. Is this the funky TSB transmission leak? If so can someone please tell me the exact part # to purchase for the DIY fix? I just hope it's safe to drive while I wait to find the right part

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tranny.jpg (137.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Here you go.......
Mercedes Benz transmission pilot bushing, conductor plug, electrical seal | eBay

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa