Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Mine seems to have this leak. The dealership quoted $300 to fix. They said that the computer needs to be reset. Does this sound right?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AustinGSrider
Mine seems to have this leak. The dealership quoted $300 to fix. They said that the computer needs to be reset. Does this sound right?
Nothing to reset. Do you have a feel for how much fluid have you lost? This is key in knowing how much to add. You will also lose some during the bushing replacement that you should try to catch to measure as well.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Nothing to reset. Do you have a feel for how much fluid have you lost? This is key in knowing how much to add. You will also lose some during the bushing replacement that you should try to catch to measure as well.
I wouldn't think more than a few ounces. I have just been seeing the spot on the driveway slowly get bigger. Looking at the transmission the leak is right where everyone describes it. Going to have the dealership do it but I wanted to have as much documentation backing me up.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

The bushing can be found for as little as $6 and I needed less than a quart of Sprinter/Crossfire ATF at $ 22 per quart.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

The bushing can be found for as little as $6 and I needed less than a quart of Sprinter/Crossfire ATF at $ 22 per quart.
Heres a list of suppliers and prices for this part.
Mercedes A 2035400253 Transmission Adapter Plug With O-Rings | Compare Prices

Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by AustinGSrider
$300 seems a little steep to me. Mine cost less than half that amount to have performed by a trained XF technician (or so they claim..

Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Talking Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Hi, I'm new at this forum

Joined cause where I live I own the only crossfire in the city, maybe 1 of 5 at most in the hole state :x and I recently went away for a month and came back to a sad picture, a pool of oil down my car so for what I can figure its transmission oil (im an architect... not so great at mechanics.. just basics) Ill try to check if this might be the problem, cause I already took my car to the Chrysler dealer and they were hesitating on receiving it just for a checkup :O!(they claimed to be worried about parts and stuff so they sent me back 2 times... sad I know) so I decided to look into the problem myself.

My '04 Crossfire has 52k kilometers (about 33k miles)
I'll post pictures.. any help will be deeply appreciated... you can tell that I'm in real need of it! :P

Fell in love of the crossfire on a vacation trip in 2006 when I saw it at the dealership I thought it was the greatest car I ever seen.. and I decided to save up track one down and buy it I intend to keep it for life.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM

Hi all
the dealer took in my xfire and it was the transmission adapter plug after all
they're gonna charge me $102.70dlls for the replacement and the ATF refill

thanks for the thread it was really helpfull and so is the forum

Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Unhappy Re: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa

Im not ure what happened or were the leak is coming from but i went to tune my tcm with jerry and it was covered with trans fluid so i dug a little deeper and there was a mini puddle where the tcm it was fried, i have the new tcm on the way but i cant find the leak and where it could be coming from i told the transmission shop i took it to to go ahead and replace the seal but i think all they did was replace the transmission dipstick cap and seal. anybody have any ideas?
I have the new tcm coming in tomorrow and i dont wanna go through the same problem again.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

My TCM is located under the passenger side foot well.
How did tranny fluid get inside of the car???

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
My TCM is located under the passenger side foot well.
How did tranny fluid get inside of the car???
Idk how but there was a small puddle it looks like it was seeping in thru the connecter wires.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cubanbee
Im not ure what happened or were the leak is coming from but i went to tune my tcm with jerry and it was covered with trans fluid so i dug a little deeper and there was a mini puddle where the tcm it was fried, i have the new tcm on the way but i cant find the leak and where it could be coming from i told the transmission shop i took it to to go ahead and replace the seal but i think all they did was replace the transmission dipstick cap and seal. anybody have any ideas?
I have the new tcm coming in tomorrow and i dont wanna go through the same problem again.
That's a new one, deep fried TCM.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

This is very odd and requires further investigation. When I did my Paddle shifter install back in December the mounting plate in the passenger side footwell where the TCM and Audio Amp is mounted was high and dry. A couple weeks ago I went to swap out my TCM with a tuned one and found an oily substance on the bottom edge of the mounting plate. I thought it was strange but cleaned it up and continued on. I think we need to ask Rudy for his expertise as to where this oil can be coming from. Now it seems that we need to worry about enough oil there to fry components?.
I think we should all be concerned.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I find that highly unlikely as we get them in quite often with fluid in them and a quick clean up and they are fine. Unless it was plump full, that wasn't what caused your TCU to fail. I'm not sure what changed between when yours worked and when it stopped but I'd look things over before plugging the new one in.

This is very odd and requires further investigation. When I did my Paddle shifter install back in December the mounting plate in the passenger side footwell where the TCM and Audio Amp is mounted was high and dry. A couple weeks ago I went to swap out my TCM with a tuned one and found an oily substance on the bottom edge of the mounting plate. I thought it was strange but cleaned it up and continued on. I think we need to ask Rudy for his expertise as to where this oil can be coming from. Now it seems that we need to worry about enough oil there to fry components?.
I think we should all be concerned.
The oil is wicking up through the trans wiring harness. It is a direct result of the trans connector seal failing. Only way to get rid of the fluid is to fix the connector seal.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by rcompart
I find that highly unlikely as we get them in quite often with fluid in them and a quick clean up and they are fine. Unless it was plump full, that wasn't what caused your TCU to fail. I'm not sure what changed between when yours worked and when it stopped but I'd look things over before plugging the new one in.

The oil is wicking up through the trans wiring harness. It is a direct result of the trans connector seal failing. Only way to get rid of the fluid is to fix the connector seal.

Rudy, thanks for your insight.

So it can actually wick up ! I guess I better buy another seal as I just did mine 6,000 miles ago.
Could the oil be from the first leak and I just never noticed it the first time? Although I was under the car last weekend when I did the steering damper and noticed some residue around the gland fitting but none on the pan. What a PITA.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 PM

If you have the shifter plug cap replaced soon the trans will not hace to be programed, but if you wait until the solenoid gets saturated with trans fluid it will have to be done.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Just fixed my trans leak --thank for the step by step!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to add another success story here. I had all the classic symptoms of this leak. After extensive research here on this forum, I did the work myself yesterday and no more leaks! Yayyyy! Thanks to all who, especially Woody and Tighed for their willingness to share the wealth, so to speak! Thanks guys!
Jay

Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I did this repair today. But it was on a Jeep Cherokee. Same part number.

One thing I did before I attempted to push the shroud all the way in was to make sure the pins were lined up properly using a mirror. The old shroud had the clear type orings.

I didn't have a new oring that fits on the actual electrical connector. If that oring is available seperate, it would be a good idea to replace it as well. Next time...

Can anyone tell me if that oring is available seperate? Part number?

Thanks, James

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM

Has anyone in the Atlanta area had a dealer do this repair recently? I just wrenched my back and getting under her for even this basic repair in winter does not sound appealing. I was wondering how much it cost and who did a good job on SRT6's in general. I may go ahead and DIM but hoping for a lead on good service repair in the area.
This Forum has been a great resource. Thanks for the helpful posts and info.

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission leak fix with photos... TA DAAaa