Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Are SRT6's Jinxed?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are SRT6's Jinxed?

Objects in mirror are losing!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a idea to this maybe we are being to careful with them. Its like when you get hurt such a burn, cut, or something. Not sure if you guys do it but somehow no matter how careful i am i always hit it on something and hurt it even worse. I have a 6 and i know that i am damn careful with it and somehow i still get dings and door marks. Or maybe its just the stupidity of the other drivers.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The response about people being TOO careful certainly raises a question I've always had...

Is being a defensive driver really a good thing? Theoretically it means you wait for others to act, and you try your best to react, and hopefully it goes well.

Offensive driving, however, means you decide what happens. You pass who you want and leave everyone behind you. You speed up at lights so you don't get caught with a dangerous yellow, etc. Sounds strange, but is it actually safer?

Maybe SRT-6 drivers that drive weak, scared, and defensive (like myself) need to stop being so defensive and start being more offensive. Start deciding what happens on the road instead of waiting to dodge the people who don't see you.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohnoesaz
The response about people being TOO careful certainly raises a question I've always had...

Is being a defensive driver really a good thing? Theoretically it means you wait for others to act, and you try your best to react, and hopefully it goes well.

Offensive driving, however, means you decide what happens. You pass who you want and leave everyone behind you. You speed up at lights so you don't get caught with a dangerous yellow, etc. Sounds strange, but is it actually safer?

Maybe SRT-6 drivers that drive weak, scared, and defensive (like myself) need to stop being so defensive and start being more offensive. Start deciding what happens on the road instead of waiting to dodge the people who don't see you.
A very good point. Maybe a combo of defensive and offensive driving is best. A truck driver friend once told me to always have an escape plan. This is defensive driving on steroids, because it requires that you be aware of everything around you, including far ahead, near, beside, and behind. And not just aware, but actively thinking about how to react. It's a tough standard to keep, but worth trying. It is enhanced by offensive action, because your awareness allows you to make the choices that keep you safe. I have been known to accelerate out of trouble, and I will wag my trailer to scare someone into vacating my blindspot. (comatose drivers love driving in formation and will plant themselves alongside my rig.) Probably all of us use a combination of methods but have not thought of it in those terms.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taught my wife the wag the trailer option back when...damn was funny ta see her bounce the drag boat up in the air and 1/2 way into the next lane ta wake someone up!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Adopted a habit from years of motorcycle driving -- drive like other cars can't see you and always leave an escape route. I watch their heads while passing and am always prepared for them to pull out into their blind spot -- and me. I avoid driving in "packs" of cars -- it's nice that all the XFs can pull away from the pack quickly. I always pull through parking spots so I don't have to back up -- most parking lot accidents happen that way. At lights I stop a car length back of the car in front of me, giving me an extra 15-20 feet to roll forward in case the jerk in back doesn't stop in time. I wait at the stoplight for 2-3 seconds and look both ways -- tons of times the a$$holes have long missed the yellow light and just speed through on red (or they're talking on their cell phone and never saw it).

And I don't drive them in the winter which eliminates a lot of darkness and slipperiness (sp?).

But if lots of SRT6s are getting wrecked, doesn't that make mine more valuable...someday?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

My high school Driver's Ed teacher used to cover the rear view mirror momentarily and asked," what color and brand of car is behind you?" "How about the one in the other lane?" Or,"Describe the pedestrians on you're right and left."

If we did't know, we were done driving that day.

His point was that we should be aware of everything going on around us 100%.That leaves little brain capacity left for cell phones and burgers while driving.

45 years later, I still practice his lessons. Can't say the same for most other drivers on the road.

roadster with a stick

Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
My high school Driver's Ed teacher used to cover the rear view mirror momentarily and asked," what color and brand of car is behind you?" "How about the one in the other lane?" Or,"Describe the pedestrians on you're right and left."

If we did't know, we were done driving that day.

His point was that we should be aware of everything going on around us 100%.That leaves little brain capacity left for cell phones and burgers while driving.

45 years later, I still practice his lessons. Can't say the same for most other drivers on the road.

roadster with a stick

Funny the things that stick with a person, I can remember my driver's ed teacher preaching against things hanging from the rearview mirror, not so much that the blocked the view but the fact that you got used to something moving around over there and would be less likely to notice a hazard coming at you.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ohnoesaz
Is being a defensive driver really a good thing?
My two cents:

I think the terms "Passive" and "Active" are commonly confused with defensive and offensive driving. It is good to be actively visualizing situations that may arise, as well as the evasive maneuver that may be necessary to escape the situation.

The stigma associated with defensive driving is that it is "passive" or reactionary. This misconception is what makes defensive drivers dangerous.

-Alex

Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6nTulsa
My two cents:

I think the terms "Passive" and "Active" are commonly confused with defensive and offensive driving. It is good to be actively visualizing situations that may arise, as well as the evasive maneuver that may be necessary to escape the situation.

The stigma associated with defensive driving is that it is "passive" or reactionary. This misconception is what makes defensive drivers dangerous.

-Alex
I couldn't agree more.
Goldwing's "motorcycle" perpective is a good approach.

I drive "aggressively" which puts me ahead of trouble most of the time.

Drives my wife nuts.

roadster with a stick

Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys have pretty much said it all. I am what many would call an aggressive driver. That is
said because I believe in getting out of the "pack" as soon as I can and leaving the rest of the traffic behind me. I drive everyday through some of the worst commuting traffic this country has to offer (35 miles each way in Atlanta traffic), and I'm always looking for ways to get around slower traffic that causes a "bunch up". I get out of that as quickly as I can. However, there are draw backs. I got pulled by a State trooper the other day. He said he clocked me at 91 in a 55 zone (I was in the 65
zone when he pulled in behind me) and stated he had been trying to catch up to me for a couple of miles. Of course, the 91 came while I was breaking out of the pack and going around a very slow driver in the left lane. Also, I always try to drive where I have an "emergency lane" on one side or the other, and I'm constantly on the look out for potential problems and am ready to react. But, then I have a bit of a "hyper" mental metabolism and my mind is always racing over "what could happen
if this dipstick does something stupid". I must say that the power of this car has saved my bacon at least once, when I was pulling out from a stop light which had just turned green when I saw a blur
of motion out of my left eye. Stomped the gas and was able to avoid being hit my a guy blasting through his red light. Unfortunately, the guy who was beside me at the light was not so lucky. He
got T-boned.

And, if anyone is questioning, no I didn't get a ticket for the 91 in a 55. The cop gave me a written warning instead. Might be because, though I drive fast most times, I always signal, never tailgate and, I must admit, played the "disabled vet" card. I was also quite polite and respectful, never arguing with the cop. I also haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years, and that was in my wife's minivan (my second in nearly 30 years of driving).

Coyote

Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Franc, you were always in my rear view mirror....LOL....I know, you just couldn't get around me because I was driving too slow...I'll give you another chance in April...all the above are good points, I used to work with the EVOC instructors at the police academy years back...and my advice to add to all those before me, is to get to know your car and what your car can or cannot do. Young cops starting out are always amazed after passing EVOC what those chevys and fords were really capable of. So find a place where you can throw your car around a little bit, you will be surprised what you can do. Don't use 10 and 2 your drivers ed teacher taught you either...use 9 and 3, never cross over your arms, good luck...OH....EVOC emergency vehicle obstacle course....

Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Franc, you were always in my rear view mirror....LOL....I know, you just couldn't get around me because I was driving too slow...I'll give you another chance in April...all the above are good points, I used to work with the EVOC instructors at the police academy years back...and my advice to add to all those before me, is to get to know your car and what your car can or cannot do. Young cops starting out are always amazed after passing EVOC what those chevys and fords were really capable of. So find a place where you can throw your car around a little bit, you will be surprised what you can do. Don't use 10 and 2 your drivers ed teacher taught you either...use 9 and 3, never cross over your arms, good luck...OH....EVOC emergency vehicle obstacle course....

Doc, I couldn't get around you on the Dragon cause Jane Bridges wouldn't let me touch, much less cross, the yellow line.

Besides, I always give the old guy a break.

And, your 9 to 3 advice is right. Also never lose contact with the wheel or the shifter when driving aggresively or in heavy traffic. Being in the right gear, manual or auto and using the engine to help brake has saved me many times over.

"the brake pedal is not a pause button"

roadster with a sick