Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SLR Type Intercoolers

Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLR Type Intercoolers

Rob,
This picture was posted in a thread on MBWorld about your Manifolds:

SLRTypeIntercoolers.jpg

These were made for an E55, and they're designed from the IC's used for the SLR. I guess these produce a significant HP increase on a modded car. I'm talking 35 to 40HP alone. Suppossedly this is the biggest restriction on our engines. Have you looked into this? What are your thoughts?

Here's the original thread:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...manifolds.html

Thanks,
Joe

Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SLR Type Intercoolers

wow, now thats a very good idea and i think that would work for us too, NICE!

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 01-28-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
wow, now thats a very good idea and i think that would work for us too, NICE!
Yeah, a VRP tuned car with this setup is making over 700HP with close to 1000LB TQ. I guess VRP ordered like 15 sets of these that were designed for the SLR, and AMG Corporate called to find out what was going on. I believe VRP now makes their own version of these for the 65 and 55 motors. I doubt that they have plans for the 32 even if it's possible.

Here's a pic of the first guy that tried this:

55chiller647.jpg

55chiller648.jpg

Tank Cutout:

Modified Tanks:

"That's in effect what the SLR style coolers do.. They combine the air-water intercooler w/ the surge tank.. When you install these intercoolers, your surge tanks come off.."

Last edited by indyjoe; 01-28-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM

More pics:

Coolerproject4.jpg

This is the stock core that will be replaced with a hollow box, similar to the SLR:

SLRManifold.jpg

SLR Engine:

2005_Mercedes_SLR_engine_1.jpg

Rear View:

VRUS Wrote:
"There is absolutely no point in doing SLR style intercoolers if you leave the IAT sensor at the back of the engine in the stock location because it will just measure pre-cooling, the ECU will see the high temp and pull timing.

On the SLR engine shot from the back, if you look at the pic I posted courtesy of Siswati, you'll see 1 plug ontop of each tank at a 45deg angle just before the air stream goes downward.. The SLR uses 2 IAT sensors from what I understand.. This is a safety measure to ensure that 1 side doesnt fail.. Remember, SLR uses 2 pumps, 2 reservoirs, etc.. they treat each half of the engine separately.

One of the engineering challenges is going to be how to adapt that to our single input on the ECU wire loom. We either have to plug 1 side and just read from the other, or get the SLR pinouts for the ECU and compare against our wire loom and see if there is a way to adapt it.

I am looking into the ECU wiring now..."

Interesting stuff

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM

From the looks of these it seems they use them as intercoolers mainly and not increasing the surge tank alone. The NW mani's increase air flow only and have nothing to do with cooling. I would also think that these in the first pic on E55 would in effect heat up the air in the surge tanks. It a good design if it's only for larger air volume.

After the guy said they look homemade in a garage, I replied point me to the guy who has a water jet machine and tig welder in his garage? He never posted again. Some people have no clue how much work goes into something so simple. Not sure how many of them actually wrench on their own cars?

Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by indyjoe
Rob,

These were made for an E55, and they're designed from the IC's used for the SLR. I guess these produce a significant HP increase on a modded car. I'm talking 35 to 40HP alone. Suppossedly this is the biggest restriction on our engines. Have you looked into this? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Ive had that idea kicking around in my head for along time. Nice to see someone else made them.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indyjoe
Rob,

Thanks,
Joe

Cool deal............I can imaging plumbing the cooler lines to a nice big resevoir full of 95%water/5%coolant mix and chocked full of dry ice!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 11:56 PM

Those wouldnt be that hard to make at all. Personally id just build an air to air FMIC.

Of course IAT datalogs would be necessary to prove either method effective over stock...

Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular

how cool is it that the air intake is the mercedes symbol??? am i seeing that right??? AWESOME design. i want one....

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

hello, yes we have seen those before, could we make something like that? sure

do i think the price would get so out of hand that no one would buy them? yup
not to forget about the "kit" that would be needed to replace everything.

im not convinced they would do any better then our IM's, remember we still have an intercooler, the only benefit i see in those is that they have a larger ic core(s). maybe i should get into the slr market and redo those but i have serious doubts to crossfire owners paying a large portion of the vehicles value for a part like that.

we have a few new goodies out on customers cars being tested now, give me a week or so and we will be able to unveil them for everyone.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM

What I like about the SLR-Style Coolers is that they are not so much heatsoaked from the Cylinder-V of the engine and are not located under the SC. And like Rob said, because of the bigger IC-Core. But sure very expensive to build and with a new Intake and so on...

Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
hello, yes we have seen those before, could we make something like that? sure

do i think the price would get so out of hand that no one would buy them? yup
not to forget about the "kit" that would be needed to replace everything.

im not convinced they would do any better then our IM's, remember we still have an intercooler, the only benefit i see in those is that they have a larger ic core(s). maybe i should get into the slr market and redo those but i have serious doubts to crossfire owners paying a large portion of the vehicles value for a part like that.

we have a few new goodies out on customers cars being tested now, give me a week or so and we will be able to unveil them for everyone.
Yeah, the ones that were ordered off the SLR were 16k I believe. I think VRP made their own, but I'm not sure of the cost.

Looking forward to the new goodies.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SLK32Germany
What I like about the SLR-Style Coolers is that they are not so much heatsoaked from the Cylinder-V of the engine and are not located under the SC. And like Rob said, because of the bigger IC-Core. But sure very expensive to build and with a new Intake and so on...
Yeah, I think the location makes a pretty huge difference.