Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Negative DA this weekend and still no new pulley!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative DA this weekend and still no new pulley!!!

We found a decent track about 2 hours west on I20. It's called Twin Cities dragway and has an elevation of 59ft. The weather forecast is looking good with negative DA likely. I ordered my pulley over a month ago and each week I have been told it will be ready by the end of the week. I wasn't in much of a hurry because I had the car apart and it wasn't drivable. Now I have the car back together and still no pulley. So at this point I am a little pissed that I am going to miss probally the best day of the year to run my car.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Negative DA this weekend and stiil no new pulley!!!!!!!!!

Which pulley are you waiting for? I have a Code 3 in route as we speak.

Les

Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you need more? With that weather you'll hit 11's with your current setup. Your sacrificing reliability for possible better results. You should test it thoroughly before you hit the track. Your not tuned for both unless your ahead of the game. Be careful no kaboom.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs down Re: Negative DA this weekend and stiil no new pulley!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Which pulley are you waiting for? I have a Code 3 in route as we speak.

Les
I BELIEVE SRTpowa IS WAITING FOR THE MIDSIZE CODE 3 PULLEY.I ALSO ORDERED MINE OVER A MONTH AGO SAME PROMISES BUT NO PULLEY.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Your not tuned for both unless your ahead of the game. Be careful no kaboom.
Has anyone actually lost an engine yet just because they were running a pulley?
I think there's a lot of "fear" out there about what the pulleys can do to our cars. I've been running stacked for a while now without any (noticeable) problems.
Come to think of it I don't recall any posts of anyone losing an engine. Pulley-ed or not.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Has anyone actually lost an engine yet just because they were running a pulley?
I think there's a lot of "fear" out there about what the pulleys can do to our cars. I've been running stacked for a while now without any (noticeable) problems.
Come to think of it I don't recall any posts of anyone losing an engine. Pulley-ed or not.
I agree our motors are bulletproof, but running 14 plus AFR's will shorten the life of the motor. It's just not high boost issues, it's the high AFR's that come with it. Without you datalogging, you don't know if your hurting your motor. I sincerely hope your not, because that wouldn't be worth testing. I don't think taking one for the team is what anyone wants. Safe testing if there is such a thing. If high AFR's is only a false fear, maybe our motor's can withstand 15.0 AFR's. Your right until it's proven otherwise.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:11 AM

I agree our motors are bulletproof, but running 14 plus AFR's will shorten the life of the motor. It's just not high boost issues, it's the high AFR's that come with it. Without you datalogging, you don't know if your hurting your motor. I sincerely hope your not, because that wouldn't be worth testing. I don't think taking one for the team is what anyone wants. Safe testing if there is such a thing. If high AFR's is only a false fear, maybe our motor's can withstand 15.0 AFR's. Your right until it's proven otherwise.
I just recently installed 240's modified manifolds. I have the origional needswings manifold tune, not the latest version. Prior to the manifolds I was running 11.0-12.0. I did some limited test runs last week and the AF was at 12.5 across the board. With each pass (3 total)I made the car felt stronger and on the very last run the AF dipped back into the 11's. It has been raining for a week here and finally quit. I am planning to take it out and do some runs today and put some miles on the car. I am hoping the ECU will adjust further and dip back down to 11ish AF. If not then I guess I will need to send the ECU back to INmotion before I put the Code 3 mid pulley on. I might be able to hit the track up next weekend if the new pulley ever comes and I can do some datalogging. 100 octane tune with meth injection could be a solution.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Ahhhh. My shipped but not arrived Code 3 is the aluminum original sized pulley. (I'll measure when it arrives just to be sure)

Les

Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My last dyno with the 181pulley/SL55 intake/LET tune/240 mod manifolds showed boost at 18psi and AFR of 12.7.... Before the manifold mod I had boost hitting a little over 20psi.

If it would stop raining on the weekends I could tell you what it does at the track....

Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeR
My last dyno with the 181pulley/SL55 intake/LET tune/240 mod manifolds showed boost at 18psi and AFR of 12.7.... Before the manifold mod I had boost hitting a little over 20psi.

If it would stop raining on the weekends I could tell you what it does at the track....
Mike I basically have the same set-up, except dual exhaust and I'm showing 13.5 to 14AFR in 50* weather, what were the temps with your 12.7AFR. I'm trying to decide if I should go bigger injectors. Thanks Dave

Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldogger
Mike I basically have the same set-up, except dual exhaust and I'm showing 13.5 to 14AFR in 50* weather, what were the temps with your 12.7AFR. I'm trying to decide if I should go bigger injectors. Thanks Dave
It's your cold air and closer to negative DA that bringing up your AFR's. This summer in 70 degree weather you should be back in the 11-12 AFR range. If not something is up. I went up the mid to high 12 AFR's when I ran at Famoso. I usually never hit 12's when I run in AZ. I would assume I'd creep into the 13's if I was in similiar conditions as ATCO. The ECU adjusts for thin air and increase's AFR's. It must be looking at (IAT's?) another parameter that's still reading fine, and not protecting from high AFR's.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular

It's your cold air and closer to negative DA that bringing up your AFR's. This summer in 70 degree weather you should be back in the 11-12 AFR range. If not something is up. I went up the mid to high 12 AFR's when I ran at Famoso. I usually never hit 12's when I run in AZ. I would assume I'd creep into the 13's if I was in similiar conditions as ATCO. The ECU adjusts for thin air and increase's AFR's. It must be looking at (IAT's?) another parameter that's still reading fine, and not protecting from high AFR's.
Yeah, I figured it was outside temp related but wanted to just make sure, I am just trying to decide if I should go with TVT injectors or a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump. I would rather do the injectors but I am unsure if they will fit with the plenums in place. they are a 1/2" taller. As of right now car has delayed shift from 4th-5th probably due to lean condition and pulling timing.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That dyno was on Nov 7, 2008. The temp was 64 and the DA was 309 feet. The max AFR at WOT on the dyno says 12.7 and the min says 11.8. I guess since smaller AFR is richer we should reverse the max/min titles if we are talking about fuel. So I still think that I am good for the summer 70 - 90 temps. Comments?

MikeR

Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
That dyno was on Nov 7, 2008. The temp was 64 and the DA was 309 feet. The max AFR at WOT on the dyno says 12.7 and the min says 11.8. I guess since smaller AFR is richer we should reverse the max/min titles if we are talking about fuel. So I still think that I am good for the summer 70 - 90 temps. Comments?

MikeR
That is what I saw today in 55 degree weather. Mainly 12.5 AF but dipped to 11.8 in the low gears and I saw a 13.0 once as well. I guess these manifolds are flowing a lot more air, but to be honest I can't say the car feels any faster. If it doesn't rain tonight I might go back out with the laptop and run my 1/4 mile program. The times aren't acurate but the trap speeds have been dead on. I guess I shouldn't be complaining about not having the pulley when I might not even be able to run it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM

Yeah, I figured it was outside temp related but wanted to just make sure, I am just trying to decide if I should go with TVT injectors or a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump. I would rather do the injectors but I am unsure if they will fit with the plenums in place. they are a 1/2" taller. As of right now car has delayed shift from 4th-5th probably due to lean condition and pulling timing.
You're observing this on the highway? Can't be in the 1/4, right?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
You're observing this on the highway? Can't be in the 1/4, right?
Yeah highway

Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Yeah highway
I was thinking the same thing. I don't recall ever having the opportunity so far to be WOT from 4th to 5th. So I can't say if I have that delay.

MikeR-- Sounds like your coldest air is behind you. You should be dialed in for summer fun.

SRTPowa-- I say get a solid baseline in the best weather you can drive to. Then go for the pulley and try to solve the puzzle. I say stacked pulleys if working properly should be good for 11's in any DA of 3600' or better.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I don't recall ever having the opportunity so far to be WOT from 4th to 5th. So I can't say if I have that delay.

MikeR-- Sounds like your coldest air is behind you. You should be dialed in for summer fun.

SRTPowa-- I say get a solid baseline in the best weather you can drive to. Then go for the pulley and try to solve the puzzle. I say stacked pulleys if working properly should be good for 11's in any DA of 3600' or better.
This is probally the best weather right now. Soon it will be 80-100 with 98% humidity and the AF will most likely drop but then my concern will be IAT. So that is my interest in the meth injection because it solves both problems. Guess I can look forward to some experimenting.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Default Re: Negative DA this weekend and still no new pulley!!!

Got a tracking # today. Hopefully it will be here by Saturday so I can do some street testing, then I'm gonna try and drive 2 hours east and hit the track up Sunday.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by SRTpowa
This is probally the best weather right now. Soon it will be 80-100 with 98% humidity and the AF will most likely drop but then my concern will be IAT. So that is my interest in the meth injection because it solves both problems. Guess I can look forward to some experimenting.
I know how you feel, my best weather is gone. Oh well had some fun while it was cool. We'll be in the 90's later this week.

Quick Reply: Negative DA this weekend and still no new pulley!!!